1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF2 - no burst mode with Flash????

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jbuch84, Apr 19, 2011.

1. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    So, I was trying to do a stop action sequence using off camera flash... learnt that burst mode is not selectable when flash is on. That's just silly, most all other cameras worth their salt can do flash w/ burst. I love my camera, there has got to be a work around! Any ideas??

I just feel that if you're going to remove any port for a remote trigger and still leave a hotshoe on the camera you should at least let the hotshoe support continuous drive (burst) triggering. A simple firmware tweak to allow full speed burst. I would hate to ditch such a nice camera just for easy fixes

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    built-in flashes aren't designed for multiple bursts. What camera are you referring to that does? Flash systems from Nikon or Canon perhaps, but even then the off-camera would need to be controlled by a hot-shoe mounted flash, and would need to be driven with an external battery pack to get any kind of real strobe effect.

3. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    I'm using off camera flash (Einstein Heads). They will fire 10fps no prob. Using a hotshoe trigger it will not allow burst. I agree with you that no on camera flash charges quick enough, but panasonic shouldn't keep us from being able to use off camera flash at full speed. Maybe a firmware update will fix that.

4. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Sadly it feels like the direction of the GFx series is to more consumer-oriented features, and remote support, high burst rates, and complex lighting scenarios aren't really part of that. Still prefer the GF1 over the GF2, but even that does not permit burst modes with an external flash on (FL-50, so it would be Panasonic's most powerful supported flash). Not sure if any of the Gx/GHx series supports it, but someone else can check for you.

Since this doesn't work on the GF1, and hasn't for the 2ish years that's been out, I would not expect any firmware update to come to enable that. :( Might be worth looking into the hack firmware perhaps (but that's mostly video stuff).

5. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    I fear you are right. I knew that the GF2 had dropped much of the flash capabilities that other micro four third camera had but figured I'd get something to work... hrmm. Anyone know if using a remote trigger (wired or wireless) with the other models of m43 that it's possible to achieve bust with external flash units? Just doesn't make sense for the camera to be able to do burst, but just since the on camera flash can't do it to nix the ability for any flash being triggered with it. I'm rambling lol

Hope that made sense :)