1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF2 - live exposure preview?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by riveredger, Feb 15, 2012.

1. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Hi all-

I picked up a GF2 over the weekend. Nice camera. Contrary to some of the negativity around the internet, I think the control scheme is excellent and easy to use. I was disappointed, though, when I realized that there is no live exposure preview on this camera. One of the benefits of going sans mirror is that you can see the changes in exposure as you change settings. Are all of the Lumix G series like this? Not a deal breaker, mind you, but something that would be nice to have on my next m43 body.

2. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    AFAIK, that's normal for all G series cameras.

3. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Thanks. Is it the same deal with the Olympus models?

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Kind of. The PENs are WYSIWYG within the metering abilities of the camera: -3 to +3 EV, up to 2 seconds on my PM1. They can't preview properly outside those bounds.

5. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    I agree!

When you use the thumbwheel for exposure compensation in P,A and S mode you'll see the effect of the compensation on your screen.
    My GF2 does it and my GH2 as well so I assume it works this way on all Panny m4/3 models.

Have fun it is a great little camera!

6. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Good to know.

I normally adjust for exposure myself with ss, aperture or ISO - but I will try using exp comp instead. Thanks. :cool: