1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF2 kits not worth selling anymore?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by lenshoarder, Dec 10, 2012.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I've noticed that a GF2 kit sold for $100 on ebay. That was the full kit. It wasn't broken or parts only. By the description and pictures, it was it really good shape. At that price I think I'll hang on to mine. The GF2 is still a decent camera. It feels good in hand and is well constructed. I can't believe it's selling for less than old battered Canon S90s.

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I felt the same way... I ended up giving my old GF2 to a friend because I couldn't stomach selling it for that much less than I paid for it. At a certain point I'd rather give it away to someone I know will get use out of it and appreciate it. I also gave him my old Oly 14-42 (for the same reason, man did I take a beating on that lens) and both have gotten a whole new lease on life instead of collecting dust in my house :smile:

3. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    the gf2 is soooo year and a half ago.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Its worth noting that sporadic low sale prices occur on many items on ebay which are not accurate indications of current market value of those items
    That particular item may have completed / sold at a bad time of the day for buyers to be looking etc (late at night / early morning)
    Do a search on the GF2 and then apply filters to include only items that have completed and also that actually sold
    This will give you a better idea of the average that any particular items are going for in recent weeks
    Regards
    Rob

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    $100 is certainly quite low, but you'd be hard pressed to get more than $180 on a good day. We can all blame Panasonic and Olympus for a relentless onslaught of camera replacements at a screaming pace compared to the rest of the large sensor camera market. Ultimately our 2 year old micro 4/3 cameras fetch around $150 or end up as nice handed down family gifts!

6. smiclalef427

smiclalef427 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 14, 2011
    Isn't this a case of over supply? The economist in me enjoys frequently checking ebay and amazon to determine the current market value of the GF2 and a number of other micro 4/3s and cameras from various other manufacturers.

In early 2011, I was still on the fence about getting a GF1 to go along with my G1 and later GH1. At that time, the GF1 was still fairly limited in the quantities available. Once the market of "New" GF1s was depleted, right around the time of the GF2s introduction, values on the second hand market stabilized and fluctuated within a small range.

The GF2 on the other hand was quite plentiful in the "New" market even after the introduction of a number of other models which will drive down prices until it reaches equilibrium. That equilibrium still hasn't been met, after a couple of simple searches, you will see that there is a huge number of new GF2s still out there (a full two years after the GF2's introduction!).

The market value of this and other cameras is further complicated by the various kit lenses that were bundled. While not a true reflection of the quality of the camera or lens, you begin to see wherein the value is derived. The value of the 20mm lens that was only available as a kit with the GF1 remains strong because the market was not flooded with them. The 14mm lens, which is a great lens too, does not enjoy the same strong values because of how flooded the market became with them when it was included in GF2 and GF3 kits.

While initially reluctant to embrace the GF2, I purchased one a while back simply for that great 14mm kit lens, and ended up rather enjoying the camera. The saturated market makes either the camera body or lens a terrific value, and anybody interested in getting into a system would find it a great place to start.

The GX1, while marketed as the true successor of the GF1, is in actuality in the same position as the GF2. The GX1 is so over supplied that the market demand drove the price down faster than any other model I can remember. Within 8 months of it's introduction a "new," not "used" example could be found for half their original value.

The transaction price of these cameras does not seem related to how good these cameras are, but rather how over or under supplied the market was with them. With competition from a number of new mirrorless entries from other manufacturers value has simply eroded

If Panasonic wanted to keep transaction prices high, they would keep tighter controls on the supply at the risk of losing to competitors. Or, make sure supply is low at the time of introduction of successor models as in the case of the GF1. There were simply too many GF2s produced and people never warmed up to that model.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Whyzor

Whyzor Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 11, 2012
    There's the inherent cost savings to the m4/3's system because of lower material costs of the smaller lenses and bodies. Also more companies involved in the system so a more competitive system to drive prices towards the production costs faster.

8. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    You hit it spot on. I finally sold off my spare GF2 for $180. Took literally 5 months to get that. At this point, I was just happy to be rid of it.