GF2 Issues

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Four3rds_Crazy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Four3rds_Crazy

Four3rds_Crazy New to Mu-43

Mar 20, 2011
    Having issues with my GF2. Here is a video explaining the problems. Anyone else have this issue?

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J9c7YLM3t4]YouTube - Panasonic GF2[/ame]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'm not sure what the problem is. Does the squeaking sound only happen when you press the red record button? That's what you seemed to indicate, but since you only hit that button to start or stop a video, I don't see how the squeaking sound is heard in the video other than for maybe a fraction of a second at the very start and a fraction of a second at the very end. You're not pushing the button WHILE the recording is going on, right? Is it just pushing that button that causes it?

-Ray

3. Four3rds_Crazy

Mar 20, 2011
    Just by gripping the camera it will cause it to sqeak, using the wheel on the back side of the camera and any type of presure on the top plate of the camera will cause squeaking.

It also happens when hitting the video record button. The only way not to hear the squeak would be to hit the record button and then not hold the camera.

4. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    It would seem there is something just under the top plate of the camera that is not secured and slight pressure causes it to move against something else, causing the squeek. I'd return the camera if it isn't too late to do so, or deliver it to your closest Panasonic authorized service center.

5. Four3rds_Crazy

Mar 20, 2011
    Yeah I'm sending it to Panasonic authorized service center. It should be covered under the warranty. I will let you guys know how it goes.

6. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

FYI

You mentioned that you are sending it to "an authorized service center".

If you are in the US, I believe all would go directly to Panasonic, not authorized agents.

7. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    You better find a hobby until they fix it. It might take months. I've dealt with them and they are second worst after Magellan (the GPS company).

8. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Good excuse to pick up a second body... relying on just one is madness! How about a nice GH2, errrrrr, that may not be so easy to do :frown: on second thought, how about finding a lightly used GF1! :smile: Then, when your GF2 comes back, you'll have two cameras to use and always a back up just in case! :thumbup:

9. Four3rds_Crazy

Mar 20, 2011
    Had to talk the wife into letting me get this one. She didn't like it when I went from a 40D to 7D about 6 months ago. GF2 is just icing on the 7D cake.

10. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Not always the case

I had great results - 8 days, door-to-door. I think the negative incidents tend to get the attention. Those who have had a positive experience (like me - I'm guilty) didn't take the time to share that experience. A friend of mine sent in his FZ35 and had the replacement in 6 business days.

11. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Dang... there goes that good excuse for a second body... :rofl:

12. Any chance you purchased the camera from Amazon directly? Purchased a 45-200mm lens that was defective. Didn't want to deal with Panasonic and wait..... Amazon had a replacement lens overnight shipped. No fees or charges for returning the broken lens.

13. stevendotwang

stevendotwang Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Steven W
    I think you're possibly singled out on this, I haven't heard anything strange like that from my GF2 yet.

14. Four3rds_Crazy

Mar 20, 2011
    Well I will be sending it off tomorrow to Panasonic. Wish me luck.

15. Four3rds_Crazy

Mar 20, 2011
    Well I was a little slow in sending off my camera. It ended up going out on April 7th. Received a Call today from Panasonic. They did find a issue with camera. They said Panasonic HQ wanted the camera to investigate the issue further. So instead of having to wait they are sending me new one. They are over nighting it to me and they are throwing in a 4gb card for my problems. Can't wait to get a GF2 back in my hands and just in time for the weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Good news. Wow, Panasonic is stepping up to the plate and taking good care of you. Excellent.

17. stevendotwang

stevendotwang Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Steven W
    Glad it worked out for you. Have fun over the weekend!

18. Four3rds_Crazy

Mar 20, 2011
    Thanks, now I don't have to lug my 7D around as much. I loved my GF2 for what little time I had with it. I'm glad it will be back.

19. Four3rds_Crazy

Mar 20, 2011
    Well it looks like I spoke to soon. Received the camera today, but it was a refurbished one. Not that big of deal to me even though they told me it was going to be a new one, but after looking at the bottom of the camera I found some scratches that aren't to pleasing to look at. Sucks to be me.

I called and left a message with the lady I have been working with. Going to ask for a manager and see if I can't get a real new camera and not a referb.

20. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don