GF2 has been announced

amberzombie

Mu-43 Rookie
Apparently the bastards at dpreview had one for more than a week and not a peep from them:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcgf2/

The ONLY plus point for the GF2 over the GF1 for me is the 1080p recording. Size, lens, control-wise - GF1 still wins it for me.

Now to wait for the GF1 to drop in price substantially...

hanzo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chan
Yeah the control and handling is quite disappointing really.
Which is a good thing, considering I don't have to think about upgrading my GF1 anytime soon :D
(except for the Fuji X100 of course :biggrin:)

Grant

Mu-43 Veteran
Where the h3ll is the AE lock. Big smile as there is no need to up grade, or should I say down grade.

The GF1 is hard enough to use in bright sun light that it required a EVF. So lets make the controls even harder to use in bright sunlight by putting them on touch screen. On first look it seems that if I were to enter the µ43 world this would not be my camera of choice.

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm bummed about the lack of a remote shutter release (taking after the E-PL1), but hopeful about better low-light handling. I might get one as a backup, but then I'd have to decide: white or red?

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think one of dpreview's measurements is wrong, btw.

113 x 68 x 22 mm
(4.4 x 2.7 x 1.3 in)

Looks like the last should be 33mm, not 22.

It's definitely not 11 mm shallower than its predecessor.

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
I feel a bit underwhelmed. Unless you operate the touch screen with your nose the lack of tactile buttons would seem to be a backward step - particularly with a VF.

One positive thing is that the GF1 price will hopefully drop through the floor ! Then again the LX3 is still going strong price-wise compared with the LX5.

I wonder what an EP3 will bring to the table . . .

Jamus

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Peter Jamus
Phew, temptation to upgrade has been removed, now maybe the X100 will be my next target purchase, something closer to a proper camera and not a computer with a lens attached.

Barrie
This.

Hopefully the X100 will meet the hype.

But this? This is... disappointing to say the least. :[

soundimageplus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
GF2

Its a strange development. I think many of us would have hoped that a GF2 would be an "upgrade" from the GF1, instead it seems to be a sideways move with some improvements but with a backwards step in terms of handling. Moving dial functions to a touch screen seems strange to me.

Imagine what some of the larger m4/3 lenses are going to look like on this and just how easy is it going to be to operate them?

A Sony NEX competitor perhaps?

The GF1 is currently at very low prices and looks like a bargain at the moment.

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I didn't like the dial, then I thought about it: I rarely change shooting modes during a shoot. Frankly, I rarely change them at all.

Miles

Mu-43 Rookie
Not for me ...

I was also hoping for Evf builtin, :-( (The LVF1 is nice, but cost to much and I Lost it after 2 weeks !!!)

Since I use so often the AE/AF-Lock that I think it was worth the button, the cable release shutter is gone ?!

But has said in the review the GF2 is aimed to be an upgrade for compact users ...
If this "marketing" decision works, it means more lenses, more developpment ...

I am impatient to be able to touch and feel the GH2 :)

Miles

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I didn't like the dial, then I thought about it: I rarely change shooting modes during a shoot. Frankly, I rarely change them at all.
Basically I use A mode occasional iA mode

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Its a strange development. I think many of us would have hoped that a GF2 would be an "upgrade" from the GF1, instead it seems to be a sideways move with some improvements but with a backwards step in terms of handling. Moving dial functions to a touch screen seems strange to me.

Imagine what some of the larger m4/3 lenses are going to look like on this and just how easy is it going to be to operate them?

A Sony NEX competitor perhaps?

The GF1 is currently at very low prices and looks like a bargain at the moment.

I think YES to compete with the NEX and the touch screen seems a gimmick
For an advanced user the GF1 is fine the needed adjustment controls are there for the few real adjustments you have to make when in A mode.

I think they build in too many features in menu's now

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Wow, it is different to what I envisioned it would be. I'm glad I don't have these feelings that it is something better than what I already have. Not that it would make much of a difference anyway, but it's good to know that my GF1 is still up there.

I just clipped the very tail end of the 1980's so I'm all for the boxy square look (reminiscent of that period) and I still go for the styling of the GF1, which to me looks more masculine than the GF2.

And the little door on the side of the GF1 is so good. Why did you take that out of the design of the GF2 Panasonic?

ccunningham

Mu-43 Veteran
I think YES to compete with the NEX and the touch screen seems a gimmick
For an advanced user the GF1 is fine the needed adjustment controls are there for the few real adjustments you have to make when in A mode.

I think they build in too many features in menu's now

This seems the most likely "target", the NEX series. Apparently this adds touch screen, and makes the size similar to the NEX. Nothing wrong with an xtra model in the line since it will appeal to some users, it just doesn't appeal to me like my GF1 does. I was hoping for a GF1 with the flash function replaced by a built-in G1 level EVF. But I'm not enormously disappointed, at least I don't have to worry about what to sell to finance a GF2 now.

grum

Mu-43 Regular
To me this should have been called a different camera rather than a GF2.

One of the things everyone criticised about the NEX was that everything was controlled in on screen menus, so why emulate it?

I would love a GF1 with either a built in or better quality EVF, and slightly better high ISO - that would be an almost ideal camera for me. This is pretty poor for 'enthusiasts'. As said at least I don't feel a burning desire to upgrade.

Pelao

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If I were considering entering the M4/3 world today the GF2 would not be on my list. I grabbed the GF1 and am happy with it: the interface changes make the 2 a much less attractive camera for my needs.

I suspect that they have re-positioned the camera substantially, and want to move "enthusiasts" to their slight larger bodies, or that an entirely new model will be introduced. I think this is reinforced by the lack of a kit with the 20mm lens. The GF2 is clearly in the E-PL1 bracket: even the sensor is unchanged.

I doubt if they want to leave the EP-2/3 alone to dominate the next level up - never mind the new Fuji. The next move by Panasonic will be more interesting.

Latest threads

Top Bottom