GF2 has been announced

alessandro

Mu-43 Regular
Just won an auction for a GF1. I was a bit nervous thinking the value would have dropped heavily after the GF2 announcement. Perhaps it will not... Different camera aimed at a different target, it seems; why not giving a different name to it?

amberzombie

Mu-43 Rookie
Just won an auction for a GF1. I was a bit nervous thinking the value would have dropped heavily after the GF2 announcement. Perhaps it will not... Different camera aimed at a different target, it seems; why not giving a different name to it?
not sure where you're from but in australia prices of the GF1 (on ebay) have now dropped to below the AUD$700 mark. that includes the 20mm kit lens.

I'm still REALLY hoping for an upgraded viewfinder soon... but I can wait...

Oh and new official firmware for the GF1 that will support full HD videos? That would be sweet

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
Since the GF2 is aimed at a different demographic than the GF1 I wonder if the GF1 might stay in production for a while. If not the GF1 might actually hold it's value (or not lose as much).

Amin Sabet

Administrator
I think this was a very good move for Panasonic and good for the MFT system in the long run, albeit disappointing to most enthusiasts. In order for the system to do well, they have to have a base of consumer adoption, and the simplified back panel and smaller size of this camera will help it compete alongside the Sony NEX cameras.

Meanwhile, for those of us who have larger MFT cameras (which is all of us), this camera gives us a more (coat) pocketable option. I don't personally use the mode dial all that often, thought I wish they would have retained the AE lock.

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
Looks like the X100 is going to be a cool camera with all the new innovations.

Panasonic does some weird things. Look at the FZ100. It's a step down from the FZ35. I'm surprised Panny did not stick a 20Mp sensor in the new GF2.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think YES to compete with the NEX and the touch screen seems a gimmick
For an advanced user the GF1 is fine the needed adjustment controls are there for the few real adjustments you have to make when in A mode.

I think they build in too many features in menu's now
I don't agree that touchscreen is a gimmick. A lot thought that, but then used it. It seems to be a fairly good and useful implementation, especially for video.

Regardless, this announcement is a huge disappointment. When I saw the top view and lack of dial, I wanted to start saving for a 2nd GF1 in case mine broke.

alessandro

Mu-43 Regular
I'm in Italy. Bought a GF1 + 20mm + 14-45 for less than 600euros, that is to say <850 AUD shipped. Not a terrific deal but good enough. In Europe we generally have higher prices than in AU or USA, and pay VAT when importing used stuff too. I can find good prices now on GF1 body or with 14-42; 14-45 and 20mm are very expensive. 600 euros is in fact the price of the two lenses, without body... :smile:
not sure where you're from but in australia prices of the GF1 (on ebay) have now dropped to below the AUD$700 mark. that includes the 20mm kit lens.

I'm still REALLY hoping for an upgraded viewfinder soon... but I can wait...

Oh and new official firmware for the GF1 that will support full HD videos? That would be sweet

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
I would not say huge disappointment. The GF2 is clearly a second camera for enthusiasts and not a primary. An excellent alternative to the LX5. It has some nice features that will make it easier to carry around. With the 14/2.5 and 20/1.7 it will make a nice portable kit.

Hopefully Olympus will go in a different direction and make the E-P3 the primary camera that brings the best of the Fuji X100 into the 4/3 arena.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Interesting kit options: 14/2.5 or 14-42. I'm surprised there is no option with the 20/1.7. There ought to be!

Glad there's a 14/2.5 kit, though. Depending on the price, I may be interested in picking up that combo.

linkedit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The dumbed it down in many ways, obviously to appeal to soccer moms that are looking for a more "high end" camera.

For me the best thing about it is that the price for the GF1 will start to drop much more in the next few months.

danxk

Mu-43 Regular
I think this was a very good move for Panasonic and good for the MFT system in the long run, albeit disappointing to most enthusiasts. In order for the system to do well, they have to have a base of consumer adoption, and the simplified back panel and smaller size of this camera will help it compete alongside the Sony NEX cameras.

Meanwhile, for those of us who have larger MFT cameras (which is all of us), this camera gives us a more (coat) pocketable option. I don't personally use the mode dial all that often, thought I wish they would have retained the AE lock.
I fully agree that it was a wise move for Panasonic to offer a new entry model that will appeal mostly to people upgrading from P&S cameras, which must be a much wider market than those looking to "downgrade" from DSLRs, and thus a lot more lucrative. The target is obviously the NEX range.
The real issue here is the name, as most naturally expected the GF2 to be a development/improvement on the enthusiast camera the GF1 is. Ideally, the name of the new model shouldn't have been GF2, reserving that for a true succesor of the GF1. An opportunity missed?

grum

Mu-43 Regular
I don't think people would be so disappointed if this was called a 'GPL2' - but the GF1 was a real enthusiasts camera and you can't help feeling this has been dumbed down. A real enthusiasts GF2 would still appeal but it looks like that might not happen now.

As good as they are the bigger G series cameras like the GH2 are not that much smaller than SLRs which slightly defeats the point of the whole M4/3 thing.

Edit: what danxk said:)

gummyrabbit

Mu-43 Regular
I bought my GF1 just before Photokina 2010 and I was very nervous that they would announce the GF2 at the show and I would regret my decision. Now I'm so happy I have the GF1. I might actually buy another one as a backup since the GF1 seems to be the "last of it's kind". Panasonic has caved in to their accounting department who wants them to sell more cameras that are cheaper to produce. I'm really hoping that Panasonic has plans for a GF1 MkII. I wonder if Olympus will go down the same path...

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
I have no interest in buying a new camera, but this looks disappointing. All this issue about size IMHO is nonsense. I've played with the NEX and to me, with the zoom lens, it seems ackward and is no more pocketable than my E-P1. If anything, with the collapsable zoom lens, my PEN is more pocketable.

I understand the need for a consumer model, and I think Olympus has done a good job with the E-PL1. I haven't seen any real signs of dedication to new bodies to improve upon what we already have. There are a few things that are a little better on this camera over the GF1, but they are small, and shouldn't have taken that long to develop.

If it takes another 6 months or a year to get a real improvement over the GF1, I think many of us will be dissapointed.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom