1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF2 Hack — Looking for support

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by adelorenzo, Nov 30, 2011.

1. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    I don't know about other video-minded GF2 owners but I'm super excited that it looks like it might be the next platform for a firmware hack.

Hopefully that means we'll be able to get control of ISO, shutter speed and other settings in video mode, along with things like 24 fps and higher bitrate options.

The developer is collecting donations to support the project, so if you are interested please consider donating. (I have no affiliation, just really hoping that this happens. It's either that or upgrade to a GH2.)

Here's the link:
    GF2 Hack collecting - Personal View Talks

2. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    I'd love to get more control of my GF-2 while taking video... At the moment I use a manual lens with ND filters and 1/50... But I'd really like to be able to use native lenses.

Popping over to that site now to investigate - Thanks!

3. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Update: The target was met, and the developer has two cameras on the way to start working on.

4. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I really hope owners of the GF2 will have better luck than owners of the G2.

This spring, I donated to support hacking the G2. There was some progress initially, but after that development came to a screeching halt. For example, the G2 still doesn't have properly implemented manual control in the movie mode.

5. PeterThomson

PeterThomson New to Mu-43

Oct 20, 2011
    London
    The GF2 has been an under appreciated camera so it'll be interesting to see if bumping the video performance with a hack improves its street cred. For stills shooting I've been loving the GF2.

You can get more control of the video than most people realise, if you fiddle with some of the deeper buried settings. Eg, shutter speed, ISO and aperture can be controlled with a mix of frame rate, 'background blur' and 'shutter' settings on the GF2.

6. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Can you elaborate or have a link? From everything I have read once you hit the movie button almost everything goes into auto mode. Here is what I understand about work-arounds:

Aperture - I use manual lenses so within my control

Shutter - Using the flicker reduction setting seems to lock this down? Have not thoroughly tested but this appears to be the case.

ISO - I have not figured out how to lock this.

When I shoot with a manual lens the camera always compensates for changes in exposure, either through shutter or ISO. I can't seem to lock the exposure settings so changes in light cause the exposure to jump around.

7. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Sorry to hear it didn't work out. Hopefully better things for the GF2.

I'm willing to risk a modest donation, it's a lot cheaper than a new GH2.

8. Field

Field New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2011
    Montana
    How long will the battery last, would you guess?

9. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    Ooh, just thought of another requirement...

Some way of adding an electronic shutter release, maybe via USB?

10. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
  11. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Mine's been hacked for a few days, I've tried various different settings with good results so far. Just shooting test clips around the house though, this weekend I'll get some real footage done.

It's easy to do and there is a lot of information at personal-view.com so give it a shot!

• Like Like x 1
  12. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Awesome. I've been checking personalview but missed the last few days. If it makes the GF2 video as good as or close to the GH1, no reason to keep the GH1.

13. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Cool! I'm going to have to try this!

14. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I've just read the Personal View thread and it looks confusing unless it's because I haven't even tried. I'm just trying to visualize doing it in my head. It seems like there are multiple settings people can change? Is there an optimal all round setting for video? P-frame/B-frame, etc.....

15. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    You can play around with your own settings but I just let the experts do that. Try using some of the latest Driftwood settings for starters.

I started with the 'v2 Rocket' and still haven't had a chance to really shoot anything. Just test clips.

Make sure you have a fast SD card....

16. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    It seems like those Rocket settings are super high in bitrate! 100-120!! Wow. When I see my friend's Canon 7D at 45Mbps I don't think anything higher should be necessary. I guess making our GF2 give quality like a 7D is a dream? I'm trying a setting from a user name stonebat who has doubled the bitrate to 34 and other little settings but I'm not seeing it "that much better" than stock 17Mbps.

17. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    I think the sensor's output is a whole lot more important than the bitrates. I compared the 140-ish MB footage from my GF2 to an unhacked GH1 (17 MBps) on a 60" TV with identical deep-focus shots, and the GF2 isn't even close. The GF2's footage looks muddy in comparison. I also tested my GH2, and the GH1's unhacked footage is actually closer to a hacked GH2 (with Driftwood's Terraquake) than the GF2 is to a stock GH1.

18. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    So the GF's sensor output isn't really up to the task to create such amazing quality found on a GH in comparison. Either how Panasonic coded the software to make the final file or hardware limitation. Thanks for that! I have a Canon T3 sitting new in the box that I need to sell so I can go get a T2i or 60D. We'll see how that works out. My little GF has helped make a lot of videos and it maybe soon done for video but I still love it's RAW picture output with it's semi-compact size.

19. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    It's likely a mixture of both hardware and software; probably moreso for the former. If the video's going on Vimeo you really can't tell that much of a difference though.

Either way, I'm still waiting for the day when m43 delivers a compact body with high-quality 1080P footage. All the hardware is there to do it, it's just a matter of the companies' will to piece everything together.