1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF2 -> GH3?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Centropolis, May 31, 2013.

1. Centropolis

Centropolis New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2011
    I current own a E-PL2 and a GF2 body. Lenses wise I have the two kit lens Oly 14-42, 40-150 and the Sigma 19mm 2.8. This is the system I am using right now.

I recently used my friend’s GH3 and panny 35-100 2.8 combo for an event. I loved the camera and the quality of the images I was able to get out of it. Obviously this setup is a lot more expensive than what I currently have.

There is no question that a 35-100 2.8 will give me better IQ everything else being equal. If I do spend the money on a better lens like a 12-35 2.8 and put it on my GF2 rather than a GH3, am I really getting that much more things out of the GH3 that I am not getting out of a GF2? I am not talking about controls, FPS, focusing system. I am just talking solely on IQ of images from normal situations (not like taking pics of car at Indy 500 for example). More important, the colors and WB might be more accurate on the newer body but isn’t this something that can be adjusted in LR4 if I spend a couple of extra mins to edit it instead of spending $1,200 to buy a new body?

I do understand the concept of “you can’t edit something that isn’t there” like sharpness and stuff but is it really that different when the sensor size is the same on a GF2 and a GH3?

What do you guys think or am I stupid?

2. Centropolis

Centropolis New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2011
    I must have asked a stupid question since no one seems to be interested in commenting?

3. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I have not had any of those cameras but as a general consensus, go for the glass first :smile: in good light you can almost never identify photos taken with almost any modern cameras. Although a sharp good lens will definitely render a better output.I am pretty sure you will find a good improvement in your photos...

If later on you think you need to upgrade your body for better high ISO performance/controls/size etc. then at least by then you've already got a nice lens to pair with your nice new camera body.

If you shoot RAW then yes WB and colors can be manipulated in LR with no problem. If you shoot JPEG there are situations when the WB is quite difficult to adjust but in ideal conditions should be no problem.

4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Invest in a couple nice lenses if you are happy with the body. The new glass will breathe new life into your photography.

5. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    GH3 + Olympus 14-42mm II R
    8910059820_527f6d730b_c.

GH1+ 35-100mm
    8911716327_22226b5420_c.

In low light/indoor you can definitely feel the difference in sensor/NR advancement, but on broad daylight not so much.

With the 12-35 both ur E-PL2 and GF2 would get stabilized video, and more usable indoor with 12mm F2.8 wide angle, and better bokeh at 35mm F2.8

Also the price depreciation with the lens is generally slower than camera body, so if you are happy with the body it is good to invest good lens