GF2 + GH2 in Best Buy - April 15th

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by ksn, Apr 10, 2011.

1. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Met someone who worked at Panasonic yesterday and he mentioned that the GF2 and GH2 was/is going to be for sale at Best Buy on the 15th but could possibly be delayed due to shortages. The G2 was never brought up so I don't know if this includes the G2 or not.

2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    The G2 is considerably older than either the GH2 or GF2 (relatively speaking anyway), and has been in stores for quite some time. The BestBuy's here in Canada actually seem to be scaling out of G2's and bringing in GF2's instead. Go figure...

3. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Ahh, I see. Well I don't think they're here in the states, at least not nationally. I've never seen a GF/GH/LX sold in Best Buy before.

4. stevendotwang

stevendotwang Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Steven W
    Well this is good news.

M43 is expanding.

5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Very good news... it will be good to see the Pannys in more big-box local brick and mortar stores instead of just in camera shops and online.

6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Nothing from panasonic's m43 line has been in big chain retail stores in the states it seems. I'm lucky to see it in a microcenter that happens to be near me. But no one else carries them.

7. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    I have not bought a watch, camera, book, computer or any electronics from a brick and mortar store for quite a while, while I guess it might be nice to see one before purchase , I see this trend of NOT pushing out items that cant be "simply marketed" to retail stores only accelerating. Im surprised that they are even going to try to go big box store in the states.

8. everythingsablur

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    That is odd, since the BestBuy (and FutureShop, who US BestBuy bought to speed up bringing BB north of the border) prominently advertises both m43 and NEX models in their weekly flyers whenever there has been something new worth advertising.

Still, i prefer to spend my money elsewhere for the most part (supporting truly Canadian and smaller retailers), but for mindshare to the mass market, that is a good place to get your product featured.

9. loglew42

loglew42 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2011
    Best Buy has E-PL1

I went to a local Best Buy today and they have the Olympus E-PL1 and the 14-150mm Olympus lens.
    LL

10. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I've seen the E-PL1 there as well, but not the E-PL2 or any other m4/3 models.

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I have not seen any Olympus nor lenses in all these places y'all say they are in, Best Buy, Staples, etc.

12. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Panasonic G's at Best Buy is indeed good news - hope it happens. I too am guilty of buying almost everything online at Amazon, or B&H etc, partly because they have the stuff and are great to deal with. But it would be wonderful to actually see a GH2, for example.

13. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    m43 stuff from panasonic? or just oly? or both?

14. everythingsablur

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Both, plus Samsung and Sony systems. When the E-PL1 launched last year I remember half page spreads just for it, half page spreads for the NX stuff, full page spreads for the NEX.

15. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    yeah, there were page spreads for the EPL1 (and occasionally it gets featured still) and the NEX systems.. but sadly, never have I seen a panasonic m43 (nor samsung NX) round here.. and there are 3 best buys w/in 10 miles of each other here, ha.

16. loglew42

loglew42 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2011
    We have 3 best buy's within 15 miles and only 2 have the E-PL1 (no other body's or kits) . The 2 with the mu-43 gear both have significantly larger camera departments.
    LL

17. 2ndname

2ndname Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2010
    The BB near here does not carry any M 4/3rds =(

18. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Not the GH2

You're partially correct - in the U.S. only the GF2 will be carried.

19. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Really? He mentioned the GH2 in particular, but I guess we'll see. I haven't been to a Best Buy recently, so I don't know if it's on schedule or delayed.