1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF2? E-PL2? or E-PL3? New to M43

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by NettieNZ, Apr 18, 2012.

1. NettieNZ

NettieNZ Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    NZ
    Hi, I'm new to M43 and I'm just looking to buy my first M43 camera.

Mainly wanting a good camera that that is compact/light and suited to travel but also has good versatility. I'm not really into taking video at all.

I definately fit into the category of compact user moving up as haven't ever owned a DSLR - my current camera is a Canon SX 10IS and I'm just getting a bit frustrated with it's limitations.

I'm in New Zealand and the range here isn't necessarily as good as elsewhere in the world but it would be a lot easier for me to buy something locally.

Reading reviews the camera I probably want is an Olympus E-PL3, but there are also some reasonable deals around on the GF2 or the E-PL2.

An E-PL3 with std 14-42mm lens is selling locally for NZ$930.

However an E-PL2 with EZ14–42mm Lens and 40-150mm 2 lens kit is selling for $699

or a GF2 with 14-42/3.5-5.6 OIS Kit is selling for NZ$598

or GF2 14/2.5 kit also for NZ$598

or GF2 + 14/2.5+ 14-42mm kit NZ$898

I'm really interested in people's thoughts on the options, value for money and versatility (it may be a little while until I buy another lens for the camera)

Thanks!

2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I think you can't go wrong with any of those combos. The E-PL3 is the 3rd gen of PENs which if you can stretch your budget, I'll recommend getting this. However the E-PL2 is a much loved camera here in this forum. The GF2 is also nice.

• Like Like x 1
  3. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    EPL2 has a built in flash and will allow you to buy the 40-150. If you come from a Superzoom, the EPL3 might be limiting if you only use the kit lens.

If you are bringing along your Superzoom. Just get the GF2 and the 14 2.5 kit and save your pennies for the 20 1.7 or 45 1.8.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DamMoody

DamMoody New to Mu-43

Feb 13, 2012
    Nettie,

The range in NZ is pretty much the same as anywhere else once you know where to go.

You dont seem to care about a viewfinder, but they are helpful if light is shining on the LCD, and old farts like me like them anyway. If you change on that front the G3 is getting cheaper as it is up for replacement but still has pretty much the latest sensor, Camera & Camera had them at approx 800nzd. Then either get the 14-40 and play a bit, or take a punt on a prime lens, but they come with a big cost relative to the body ( but hold their value).

Olympus I find more intuitive to shoot with so if viewfinder is no issue I would go for the most recent model you can afford, looks like epl3. They have stabilisation in the camera, so generally nice portable lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  5. elle s'ennuie

elle s'ennuie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2012
    Europe
    I was in a similar situation a short while ago. Coming from a 10x zoom compact, I knew I'd miss the long end if I only got the shorter kit lens with the camera, so I bought a refurbished E-PL3 double lens kit (14-42mm and 40-150mm). Of course since you're used to 20x zoom, even the 40-150 might not be enough for you. :wink:

Btw, I love my E-PL3, and I'm really glad I decided to spend a little more and get the camera I really wanted, instead of some more frugal options I was also considering. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Out of those kits, the only ones I would steer away from are the GF-2 with kit zoom. If you're going to get the GF-2, get it for the 14mm pancake lens. If you're going to get the E-PL2, get it for the 40-150mm mid-tele zoom. If you're going to get the E-PL3, get it for the body.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NettieNZ

NettieNZ Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    NZ
    Thanks everyone - really appreciate all your comments. I think I'll be going with the E-PL3. However I'm already working on my list of lenses - a tele will be first, then followed by the 45/1.8.
    Thanks again!

8. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I dont know if you bought one already or not, but i had your same "problem" before getting my EPL2, i got it from Camera & Camera in Auckland, which had the 699 deal and it seems a great deal comparing you get a used setup for that amount on ebay.

I sticked to the EPL2 because i couldnt afford the EP3 and the EPM1 and EPL3 didnt liked the ergonomics of the camera, plus the EPL2 is not as "SLOW" as the reviews says. is not slower than most DSLR AF. plus the ergonomics are way better. so my 2cent would be stick to the EPL2 (better ergonomics and same sensor of all the pens) if you cannot afford the EP3 and save the rest of the money for some sweet lenses...

that my humble opinion....

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Actually, when the E-PL2 first came out and I used to demonstrate it for users from other systems, one of the first things that usually came up was how fast it was. It only seems to be the Micro Four-Thirds users who think it's slow. ;)

The E-PL2 is a significant improvement in many ways over the older PEN cameras that came before it. Image sharpness and detail, screen resolution, AF speed, response, ergonomics, button function, etc... If only it had a thumb dial, it would have been near perfect. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Agreed Ned!. I bought my Pen as a "compact" to go with my main DSLR kit which is a 5DMKII and its BIG compared to the EPL2. and coming from an DSLR/Analog world...to be honest i just cannot think of the EPL2 as a SLOW camera...until i went to the store and play with it at the same time i played with an EP3, EPL3 and EPM1...i got the EPL2...its just great! and ive only had it for two weeks already (still on my honeymoon) but just cant find anything wrong with it.

agree about the thumb wheel, but with this camera i mostly use it in A or S and customized the buttons so when it gets to M mode doesnt get that bad...and for the price these days...for me it was "best bang for bucks" deal...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lili

Lili Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 24, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    I adore my E-PL2.
    It may not be as fast as the later versions, but it, along with the 14mm Lumix lens, are a superb daily driver.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NettieNZ

NettieNZ Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    NZ
    Just an update. It's interesting looking back on my thoughts a month ago and where I've ended up now. After a nice tax return I ended up with a bit more money to spend (and stretched the budget a bit). Realized that everything that I was looking at was a compromise on something. Playing with a friend's DSLR made me realize how much I would miss having a view finder. With the high ISO capability, on board image stabilization and weather-proofing (I've lost two cameras to water i.e. rain) the OM-D became the perfect choice.
    Anyway I've got my OM-D now and I really love it. It's always an absolute pleasure to use it and I love the crispness of the images I can get with little effort. Even though I knew the M43 cameras were small (compared to a 'full size' DSLR) I'm still not past the point of being amazed by the small size and weight of the M43 cameras.
    Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    good choice! enjoy in good health.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Thanks for the update, it's fun to see how these things turn out. It's amazing to me how many threads here start with something like "I'm looking at an [insert sub-$500 camera here]" and end with "I bought an E-M5". :biggrin:

Sounds like you're very satisfied with the decision you made. I'd love to see some of the images you're making.

• Like Like x 1