GF2, built-in VF?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by crashwins, Oct 13, 2010.

1. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Does anyone have any thoughts on this coming out? I'm tempted to grab the EP2 or GF1, but really need the VF. Thanks!
    • Like Like x 2
  2. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi Crashwins and welcome to the forum. I have the GF1 and the accessory VF. Originally, I thought the VF was a must, but now I find that I more often than not shoot without it. I can't speak for the EP2, but it must be a good camera based on my EP1 experience. I'd snap up either one of those two cameras with prices dropping the way they seem to be, since I don't think that an EP3 or GF2 is imminent. Cheers!
  3. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    There are lots of rumors about a GF2. If it could have a built in EVF it would be a dream come true. I would not mind if the rear screen was made smaller to allow the EVF to be squeezed in.
  4. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)

I thought about getting the optional EVF for my GF1, but decided against it. If I could live with that bulge as a regular thing, then I would have gone for the G1 (or, now, the GH2).

The 20mm is my everyday lens, but I also have the 14-140mm for those occasions when I know I'll need more flexibility. Although it's a front heavy combination, it works fine with just the screen.

The only time that I really miss an EVF is when it's sunny and the screen becomes difficult or impossible for anything but framing. (Thank goodness for auto-exposure and auto-focus.)

If the GF2 has a built-in EVF I'll buy it -- but I'm glad I'm not waiting for it.
  5. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Yeah, lots of folks told me the EVF was a must with the EP2, but I tried it and it felt so ridiculous and bulky -- a giant trunk-like thing over a very refined looking camera :( Thanks for the info!
  6. jonima

jonima Mu-43 Regular

I own a G1 and one of the bying reasons was the build in high quality EVF. If you are going to use only AF lenses it is not that important, though I am used to looking through it from my SLR days.

I realy like it to focus my Manual Focus lenses en get better results focussing. When mounted on a tripod however it is great to use the LCD screen.

You would have a choice to leave the EVF at home and easily put your camera in you pocket available, or take the EVF with you when you need to manual focus!

Good luck!!

7. ASA 32

ASA 32 Mu-43 Regular

Dump the little flash to make room for an EVF....
  8. viztyger

viztyger Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    I Doubt the GF2 will Feature an Integrated EVF

I suspect that the GF2 will not feature a built-in viewfinder. Sony's NEX models have put a lot of pressure on Panasonic to downsize the GF1 successor. Looking at the cross section of the larger, SLR-styled Lumix G cameras, the high quality EVF takes up quite a bit of space. They could integrate a smaller, lower resolution EVF into a GF2, but I'm not sure I would use it much after having become accustomed to the high grade one in the G1/GH1.

So I think we will see a significantly more compact and lighter GF body; one which exploits the smaller MFT sensor size. One of the kits will most likely include the diminutive 14/2.5 pancake. It'll probably use the GH2's battery which is thinner than the previous battery. Being smaller, the GF2 would make an excellent back-up body to the larger G1/2/H1/H2. Coupled with one or both of the pancakes, it would also be a good kit for incidental photography - a camera to have with you at all times.
  9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I gotta agree with this. As much as I hate to, sales talks. And people seem to love the NEX cameras.

But at the same time, the X100 has made a LOT of noise. Maybe they'll redesign the G line to be more compact instead. Or introduce a GX line.

If I were to buy today, I think I'd get the G2 over the GF1. The addition of video seals it for me as I've found I generally am carrying the GF1 in a bag of some sort anyway. The only plus was GF1+20 kit was the cheapest entry to m43 while being able to get the 20 at the time =) Well, that and it looked cooler.
  10. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I have a G1 and e-p1 with OVF, and like them both, but when it comes to MF with legacy lenses, I find it much quicker and easier with the G1. The X100 appeals to me because of it having a viewfinder in a nice form factor, but it's yet to be seen how well the X100's viewfinder works.
  11. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

I have a GF1 and I am very pleased with it so pleased that a GF2 would have to take a quantum leap forward to make me want to upgrade. This thread made me think what would that leap be. I love the little devil I have, but … and the only "but" … it does cause me problems in bright sun light so on those days I switch back to my dSLR. I suspect an EVF would eliminate this problem but then it would not be so compact, so unobtrusive, so pocketable. What I would really, really like is a good range finder system on this baby, one that was so good that I could avoid using the LCD monitor. If they were short on space just dump the silly little flash for a range finder system then you would have a really productive camera. Oh for the flash? That is what hot shoes are for.
  12. viztyger

viztyger Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    Fuji X100 and Panasonic's Response

The GF1 offers the same 1280 x 720 50/60p (sensor output 25/30 fps) as the G2 does. As to getting the GF1 because of the 20/1.7, I definitely agree with you. If I could only have one MFT lens, it would be that one.

The Fuji X100 did cause quite a stir. Handling a prototype at Photokina, I wasn't too impressed. Camera controls and components did not seem well integrated with the historic/retro styling. It's hard to describe, but the components seemed to be attached and scattered about rather than integrated. Hopefully the design will be refined further before the camera comes to market. As to Panasonic, they have produced cameras with a rangefinder form factor and aesthetics in the past. So I wouldn't be surprised if they do so again: perhaps a high end body offered in a kit with a Leica branded 50/1.4?

I agree with you that we'll eventually see a new Lumix G body. I think the current DSLR styled G1/2/H1/H2 body will continue to be refined. It makes a good platform for longer lenses. So I envision a new rangefinder style body in addition to the compact GF series and the DSLR styled bodies.