1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF2 and the 14-140mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ksn, Mar 9, 2011.

1. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Currently I have a GF2 with the 14mm lens (and a 14-45mm on the way). I am looking for a zoom lens, and thinking about the 14-140mm but the price is making me hesitant.

I've done a ton of research and read many reviews on it and it seems like a great lens, but is the size going to be a problem?

[​IMG][​IMG]

I found these images on another forum and on the GF1/GF2 it looks really big. I've read a few reviews where people either thought it was too large or didn't have a problem with it at all.

As for usage, I don't take many videos at the moment, but I am definitely interested and I am hoping that this lens will take everything to the next level and spark some sort of hardcore motivation, lol. Since I only have prime lenses at the moment, I haven't been able to test any videos with zoom, is there a large difference between a lens like this and the 14-45 / 45-200 during filming?

Thanks for the help :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I think I put this in the wrong forum, should probably be under Native Lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kiynook

kiynook Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    hi ksn, I bought my E-P2 together with the Lumix 14-140mm.

yupe, its a heavy lens but I love it. Its my favourite traveling lens...

• Like Like x 1
  4. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    I use one with my GF1 and love it. I use it with the EVF and have never noticed a problem with balance. In fact, I like the lens so much I don't even use my 20 1.7 any more.

5. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will be picking one of these up within the next couple of days. Worst case scenario; I can resell it.

Is there any reason I would/should keep my 14-45mm around after acquiring the 14-140mm?

(FYI: Ebay has a 10% coupon that expires on the 13th, for most electronics, including everything in the camera section, worth checking out if anyone is purchasing anything in the next couple of days.)

6. dwrz

dwrz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2010
    EP-2, but I can also confirm that while it is substantially heavier than the other lenses, the combination still works fine.

7. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Personally, I would hold onto it until you are sure you like the heavier and larger 14-140 and it fits your needs and style. The 14-45 is not available anymore from Panasonic and most agree that it is a tad better image-wise than the current offering (14-42) and it is by far a better made lens material-wise. There also might be some days that you want that range and want to go lighter and perhaps only want to take one lens. Waiting a bit to decide unless you need the money might be worth it.

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Personal taste. I was assured by many that the 14-140 was fine with an epl1, I bought one, couldn't stand the size and weight of it, and returned it a couple days later. Bought the Olympus 14-150 shortly thereafter and was happy as a clam (similar length, but MUCH less bulky and MUCH lighter). Then I got another 14-140 with my gh2, figuring it would be no problem with a bigger camera with a grip. STILL couldn't handle the weight (at least as an all day walk around lens which this would be when traveling - fine for a specialty lens) and sold it a few days later. Still using the Oly 14-150 as my travel zoom, even on the gh2 without stabilization. I don't use this lens in low light anyway and if you don't, the lack of stabilization isn't really an issue.

But, your mileage may vary. Its worth a try, but know there are alternatives if it feels like too much to you.

-Ray

9. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I love mine (came with my GH2) and though I haven't used it a LOT yet, I'm very impressed with the amazingly effective OIS this lens exhibits and the IQ. Yes, it's a relatively large lens, so I choose it in circumstances where the size isn't an issue.

If I want to go smaller and lighter, I use the 14-45, which is very compact and light weight and has fantastic image quality and OIS.

For me, there's plenty of applicability to have both of these wonderful lenses available for use.

10. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I think I will give it a shot regardless of weight and I feel like OIS might be fairly important, for me anyways.

Thanks for all the help, people here seem to be a lot friendlier than on dpreview. It seems like I often get smartass replies when I ask anything there, nobody answers anything, and then the post gets buried 20 pages in.

11. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    IMO, the 20mm shines in very portable/streetshooting and low light/shallow DOF jobs. For general purposes and video the 14-140 is a much more versatile option.

Regarding the dpreview forums, even the format is very unfriendly. That prevented me from being a poster there so I cannot say anything about the quality of the coments and people's attitude. Anyway, I am a new user here also and I think this is a friendly and supportive community which grows day by day. :)

12. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    This forum is shaping up to be the absolute top m4/3 forum, in my view. And aside from the focus on m4/3, the quality of the members and the contributions here is as good or better than the best of other photography forums.

A big thumbs up to mu-43.com! :2thumbs:

13. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I would like to add that I can't see ever giving up my 14-45 Panny lens. It's superbly sharp, compact, lightweight, and extremely useful as a general purpose lens. It can do great close-ups as well. Hearing that it is no longer available makes me that much more attached to the one I have.

Having both the 14-45 and the 14-140 is a very good thing, if the cost doesn't present a problem to you. I don't mind larger lenses on my GF-1 or GH2 at all. I feel they they can make the cameras easier to hold and more stablized in the hands. I think you will probably love the 14-140.

14. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Not sure if this is a stupid question or not, so I won't create a new post for it, but I'm looking at new lenses on Ebay, and there are many bulk sellers, from mostly the US (Adorama, etc), Hong Kong, and Japan.

Does the quality of the lens change based on where these lenses are coming from? e.g. the lens coming from Japan are made in Japan or the ones from HK are made in China.

I wouldn't think so and I really don't have any idea, but the ones coming from Japan are always the most expensive, then the ones from the US and the ones from Hong Kong are usually cheaper than the lenses sourcing from the other two regions.

15. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Anyone know about this?