1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

GF2 and languages...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by JohnF, May 7, 2011.

1. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    Hi -

My daughter just came back from 3 weeks in Japan and brought back (for me) a GF2 with the 14 f2.5 lens. It's lovely, a haptic treat and the 25 is a pretty nice lens. She used it while she was there, and was mighty impressed with the quality of the images (as am I!).

My only problem: the OS for the camera is only in Japanese and, alas, this is a language that does not belong to my repertoire. I downloaded the manual(s), and the camera simply does not have any other languages than Japanese installed.

Is there ANY way to change/update the camera's software to include languages? The software of the camera is 1.0...

I can live with it to a certain degree, but it would make learning how to use it vastly simpler, as I could then actually understand what it is I am trying out...without having to actually print off the manual(s).

JohnF

PS: Not my first m4/3 camera, have the EP1 as well. Wanted the AVCHD and that 14 lens: the price in Japan for camera/lens was less than what the lens goes for in Germany! :) 

2. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Unless it's a hack, I don't think so. Most of cameras being sold in Japan are locked to Japanese to restrict people from exporting. There were a couple companies that sold cameras with language options (Casio and Sony I believe?).

Airports in Japan sell "asian" versions that you would find in Taiwan, Singapore, etc. and those usually are multilingual.

3. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 All-Pro

Time to learn Japanese!

The Japanese domestic version cameras only offer Japanese. Other than replacing the main PC board, there is no way to change the language.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.