1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF2 adapted lens with iAuto?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by corona, Dec 12, 2011.

1. corona

corona Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but thought I'd ask anyway;

Is there any way to use iAuto mode with an adapted lens? The setting is missing from my custom menu when in iAuto mode, so won't let me shoot.

Sometimes I feel it'd be quite convenient to let the camera do as much of it's fancy trickery for me as it can, obviously without the aperture or focus.

Or is it really a case of I'm going to get everything auto it can possibly do in Aperture priority mode anyway, so just use that?

Cheers,
    Andrew

ps. I'm still pretty new to real cameras in general, so not 100% used to balancing all the possible functions.

2. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    No you can't shoot IA with a manual lens.

If you shoot in A mode, set ISO to Auto (or intelligent) and White Balance to Auto then you are basically getting the same thing. You control focus and aperture on the lens.

3. iAuto needs to communicate with the lens to work. You can use 'P' mode but of course setting the aperture is up to you. This is the best mode to use on the Olympus bodies where you can set the main (or in some cases only) control wheel to adjust exposure compensation, but with the click-wheel found on almost all of the Panny bodies you could use A or P with no real difference in functionality.

4. corona

corona Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks guys, that's great to have cleared up.
    I'm pretty sure I've always had my white balance set to auto so far. I'll have to check on the iso, I know it's manual in some of the modes I use as I like to adjust it at times. I use A (and auto) more often with native lenses and often want to balance the aperture and iso myself so might set P for auto iso and use it more with my adapted lenses.

Cheers!
    Andrew