GF2; a dumbed down GF1?

jimevidon

Mu-43 Regular
They have come out with the GF2 to replace my GF1, giving in to current dumb-down trends.
The camera is essentially the same, function wise except for the addition of stereo sound and
a more powerful movie function. In exchange, they deleted the function dial on top which I find
very useful on any still camera and went to a touch screen while removing most of the dedicated
buttons. Apparently, they wanted to ape the quirky Sony NEX series.

Too bad.
:frown:

just4fun

Mu-43 Rookie
What's if GF2 have a better low light performance and image quality, I would jump for it... I think at the end, the quality is all that counts.
Sonny

Bill

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill (really)
The GF2 is a different thing

I was hoping for an "enthusiast" GF2, and was disappointed when that didn't happen.

Clearly, Panasonic has taken a different direction with the GF2. But, because I don't think the GF2 is aimed at the same group that bought the GF1 I don't think of it as "dumbed down."

I'm expecting to see an enthusiast successor to the GF1.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just read Wired's news release about the introduction of the GF2. They're not happy. As you know, I don't agree, but I'll just quote their first paragraph: "How do you follow up on an almost perfect camera? If you’re Panasonic, and that camera is the mirrorless, lens-swapping GF1, then you forget about incremental updates and just ruin everything."

Grant

Mu-43 Veteran
When I first read about the new GF2 I was disappointed. Like many I saw it as a dumbing down of a fine camera. I am not sure why I was disappointed as I don’t upgrade. I wait until my camera has run its course and then buy a replacement therefore I am not likely to be in the market for a GF2.

I have read a ton of pre-reviews of the GF2 and they are either a reprint of Panasonic’s press release or gloomy rants. I went to Panasonic’s Global Site and all seemed to be a bed of roses. Who is right?

I do get the feeling that the market for the GF(x) was basically three fold. Those that wanted to step up from a PS, retain the small size yet have a superior camera. While I have no statistics I would hazard a guess this is the largest audience for the this type camera. Then there are those that are looking for an entry level dSLR and this should be a good alternative. The problem with this is price may dissuade some as they can get an entry level dSLR at a very attractive price. Finally there are people like me that want a small camera, one of exceptional quality that compliments our other system. While I love my GF1 I feel I’m a minority among the market, this forum not withstanding.

If this is the case then Panasonic is aiming at their biggest market with the upcoming release of the GF2. The are making a superior camera even easier to use.

So where does it leave someone like me? I like the idea of better movies capacity. Stereo means nothing to me as I add all my sound in editing. Touch focusing is so cool. How will they implement spot metering? How well will the touch screen work in bright light? How will the touch screen work with the EVF. The 14 mm lens sounds really great and I think I will buy one( now if only they only introduce a more cost attractive 45 mm prime). Higher ISO is always a plus but I have never used anything above 1600 ISO and while the GF1 us a tad noisy here it is not as bad as conventional film. I do love the mode dial and drive mode lever on top of the camera and wonder if the new implementations will be as convenient. I don’t want to loose my buttons on the back but maybe they have a better way or maybe a dumber way, time will tell. All questions, all concerns and no answers! I Until I read the camera’s manual and have a chance to use one I am not really sure, so I will reserve judgement.

Brianetta

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brian Ronald
I do get the feeling that the market for the GF(x) was basically three fold. Those that wanted to step up from a PS, retain the small size yet have a superior camera. While I have no statistics I would hazard a guess this is the largest audience for the this type camera. Then there are those that are looking for an entry level dSLR and this should be a good alternative. The problem with this is price may dissuade some as they can get an entry level dSLR at a very attractive price. Finally there are people like me that want a small camera, one of exceptional quality that compliments our other system. While I love my GF1 I feel I’m a minority among the market, this forum not withstanding.

There's a fourth target demographic. It's probably very small, but I know it exists, for I am a member of it. Those who wanted something like an SLR but thought that all the dSLRs on the market weren't just big, but comically so, and were literally waiting ten years for this sort for camera to be invented. Irritated by the PS camera's insistence on doing everything for you, but hate the fact that every useful camera is so cumbersome.

I subsisted on small bridge cameras whilst I waited for a dSLR that was no larger than my film one, preferably eschewing the optical viewfinder. Now they're really here, and I'm delighted (not to mention, taking pictures with much increased alacrity). Bad luck for Panasonic that the E-P1 stole my heart from the moment I first held it.

jhob

Mu-43 Veteran
Well, I certainly don't feel the temptation to upgrade! I love all the buttons and dial on the GF1 and wouldn't want to change them. Looks like I'll be looking to olympus for the future.

Mind you, I can think of few features I would improve in the GF1 except better high-ISO performance, even then since LR3 came along I'm getting much more acceptable high-ISO images from it.

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
There's a fourth target demographic. It's probably very small, but I know it exists, for I am a member of it. Those who wanted something like an SLR but thought that all the dSLRs on the market weren't just big, but comically so, and were literally waiting ten years for this sort for camera to be invented. Irritated by the PS camera's insistence on doing everything for you, but hate the fact that every useful camera is so cumbersome.

This describes me perfectly.

Michael E

Mu-43 Rookie
I have a glass GGS screen protector on my GF1. At some unknown point earlier this year I noticed a chip on the edge near one end, and a fine crack running all the way top to bottom. So with a touch screen and therefore no protection, I guess I'd be looking at a replacement screen.

Krang

Mu-43 Veteran
At least my nintendo DS touchscreen works fine with a protector :redface:

I have a glass GGS screen protector on my GF1. At some unknown point earlier this year I noticed a chip on the edge near one end, and a fine crack running all the way top to bottom. So with a touch screen and therefore no protection, I guess I'd be looking at a replacement screen.

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
Can't believe all you read...

I'm new to this site, and I certainly do not want to create the wrong first impression. I'm amazed how many negative comments have been posted on several sites about a camera that is not yet released. If I were not somewhat knowledgable about digital cameras, after reading these comments I would think that the GF2 was a crippled poorly performing camera. That's simply not the case.

I've had the opportunity to shoot one, and I also have a GF1. While the GF2 did add a touch screen, that in itself does not make it any less of a camera. Will I go out and buy a GF2? - I'm considering it. As it was explained to me, Panasonic has positioned the GF2 as the entry level camera for photographers who feel the GH1 or GH2 might be a bit intimidating or someone who wants a slightly smaller camera than G2 or G10.

Yes, the GF2 did remove a few small features, but these features may not be important to someone who is graduating from a point and shoot camera.

I found the GF2 to be easy to use, with a very intuitive graphic user interface. The touch menu made it much easier to navigate compared to the point and click menus Panasonic uses on their other cameras.

Just my 2 cents, and I look forward to participating in the various discussions on this web site!

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
East Charleton, near Kingsbridge, south Devon (UK)
Real Name
Barrie
I think many of us hoped that by being called the GF2 that the camera would be a development of the GF1 in the same way that the GH2 was a development of the GH1.
The reality is somewhat different, no it's not a bad camera and had it been called something else from the start the reaction might have been rather different.

Forgive me, welcome to the forum by the way.

Barrie

carpandean

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The reality is somewhat different, no it's not a bad camera and had it been called something else from the start the reaction might have been rather different.
I'm not sure what "F" stands for in GF1, but they could have gone with GC1 ("C" for compact) and less people would have complained. However, had they changed the name, then they probably would have made a few more exterior changes to differentiate the line.

I was hoping that they would have gone a little more the other way; more toward an enthusiast version (controls more like the Canon G12), which I would happily have called a GF2. :thumbup:

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
The issue...

I believe the "issue" is that some of us had expectations that the GF2 did not meet. Consider what percentage the members of this discussion represent, based on Panasonic's total global communiuty - we are but a spec of sand on the beach.

Our opinion matters, but it's definitely not what Panasonic or any other company makes decisions on.

Many people are very excited about GF2. Not every camera will satisfy every photographer - that's life.

Grant

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm not sure what "F" stands for in GF1,

It stands for Flat.

As well DMC I believe stands for Digital Micro Camera next the G stands for new-Generation and the H stands for Hybrid.

Because the GF2 is indeed flat it is a GF camera

Panasonic does have a line of compact cameras but they are not DMC, seems life is complex with nomenclature.

Maybe they are planing in coming out with a DMC-GF10 :eek:

Latest threads

Top Bottom