GF1 with Summarit 5cm 1.5 grainy no contrast

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by josh, Sep 1, 2011.

1. josh

josh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    after a year of shooting with my GF1 i finally had enough extra scratch to invest in an adapter ring for my 50s Leica lenses, was presently surprised to find the prices dropped rapidly on adapters.

Got it in the mail today and was super pumped to try it out. Haven't had much time today to really mess around but what I did find was that the photos i've taken are hazy, grainy, and lack contrast. Are there some settings on the camera I'm missing or is this just something to be dealt with in camera raw?

here's what i'm talking about
    unedited, just resized
    [​IMG]

and full crop
    [​IMG]

2. What do you see when you look through the lens itself? Is it clear? I'm guessing maybe not.

3. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Haze is pretty much a given on Leica lenses of that age. The last one I had cleaned (a collapsible Summicron) came up a treat.

4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Naaaaaa

Hi mark,

I have to disagree with you on that one as it is not par for the course, even the old 3C that I owned with 50mm did not suffer haze if looked after.

I have been using Leica rangefinders for years both professionally when working as a PJ and now purely on an amateur basis for enjoyment.

I currently own the M8.2 + 28/50/90 lenses all of which are non aspherical and not 6 bit coded (used them with my M6TTl). I have personally never had any issues with Haze on any of my Leica lenses and non of my colleagues/friends mention it either so not sure where your assumption comes from?

It could be condensation from cold to warm, dust/dirt from unprotected front elements, smear or many other factors.

I have used my M lenses on my GF1 without any issues but have to admit to favouring the 50mm, here is a photo of the combination using Novoflex adaptor:
    [​IMG]

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

From my observation, Leica Summarit 50mm f/1.5 specifically is known to have issues with haze over time. As such, they are a rather sought after lens if in good condition with clear elements. Its one lens with nice character... so many do see enough value to have it cleaned/polished.

I have many lenses (Leica and Takumars) of that age that have survived the test of time with no problems with haze while others do. Often the only difference is how the lenses were stored during its life. My 135 Hektor, 90mm Summicron ), and Silver 90mm Elmarit
    all have Haze.... two of which came with an M3 while the 35mm Summaron and 50mm Summicron of the same set are fine.
    To see if the lens has haze, take a pin point light (LED pen light for example) and shine it through one end of the lens while looking at the other end. You will want the aperture diaphragm wide open. Shine the light in circular motion starting at the edge of the elements towards the center. If all is well, the elements all throughout the light path should be crystal clear.

There is a fellow at my local camera shop that has a recoated Summarit 50mm just like yours on some G something Panasonic. It renders beautifully.

6. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    All my 50s and early 60s Leica lenses have had oil haze to some degree, Ian. It has not made them bad lenses. Far from it, they have been among my favourite lenses ever. the '69 'cron you picture is of a generation I would expect to be free of haze.
    I to used an M6TTL too until I got sick of finder flare and sold it for two user grade M2s and change.

• Like Like x 1
  7. josh

josh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    drats. what explains the graininess? also, where does one get a lens cleaned? i have a few of these from this time period that all seem to have similar issues. generally, how much does it cost to clean a lens?

8. usayit

Places that I use for general camera repair that may or may not take on the task of polishing the glass (you'll need to call to find out)

¢Æ Steve's Camera Service Center ¢Æ
    Sherry Krauter.com -- Home of the Golden Touch.   

I use this place...
    Essex Camera Services Inc. - Home (or Camera repair and used cameras by Camerarepair.com; New York and New Jersey's premier camera repair service)

The last one is a tiny hole in the wall place. You'll need to have patience in terms of contact and turn around. They are cheapest and do A+ work (Leica stuff in my case). It does help that they are local to me and I deal with them personally...

9. josh

josh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    thanks for the info everybody

10. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    i also believe the summarit has "soft as chalk" glass which is very easy to scratch and damage so be gentle. they do have a nice soft glow about them though. this looks like it may have suffered a bit of flare from a light source to the left?

11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I don't know much of anything about these issues, but could it be flare or the angle that the light is coming in bouncing around the adapter? If I sound like an idiot, just let me know.

12. usayit

One cause of flare is unwanted light bouncing around within the lens..... That's exactly what a small amount of haze will do.

13. Like sunlight passing through a cloud...

14. josh

josh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    one more question...is it financially worth it to have a lens repaired? obviously the value of a clean lens would be more than a hazy lens like mine, but i'm wondering if the increased value vs. repair cost is worth it.

15. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    It may or may not be worth it, depending on the nature of the repair and consequently, the repair cost. If you wish, why don't you post a picture of the actual lens (front element, rear element, view through the lens) and the folks here can comment on haze, scratches, etc...

BTW, I have a Summarit 5cm f1.5, and it's beautiful lens now, but when I recieved it, I had to replace the front element.

16. josh

josh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    the front
    [​IMG]

aaand the back (difficult to capture the haze)
    [​IMG]