GF1 with lens will price drop when GF2 arrives?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by m43baby, Jan 12, 2011.

1. m43baby

m43baby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2011
    On Amazon GF1 with kit lens is $797. On Abe's it's $649. GF2 will be $599 with kit lens on B+H. Will the prices on GF1 drop below $599 when GF2 comes out?

• Like Like x 1
  2. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    hard to say. amazon's pricing has been up and down since late november. i picked mine up right before thanksgiving for $599. it very briefly dropped to $579, but was at $599 for most of december. then it shot back up to near list prices. it seems stock is running very low at most places. but, if there are any left in stock in february, then it is reasonable to assume a price drop again.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I was shopping for my camera at that time and I do remember the GF1 (w/20mm) being $599 while the EPL1 was at $499 (then $399 for like one day) at one point. That was a tough call between the two considering the Lumix lens I wanted was $320.

The GF1 will ultimately have to drop in price, but I doubt by much. Not too many stores carry the GF1, and the 20mm lens still makes that kit attractive so I'm going to speculate a drop of $520-$550 at the most, at least until vendors decide to slash the GF2's msrp come fall '11.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

If the GF-2 lives down to the expectations of come maybe the value of the GF-1 will rise :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  5. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    We may not get so lucky. The GF1 w/kit lens ia already showing as discontinued and unavailable at B&H.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Amateur Photographer magazine in the UK has tested the GF2 and given it a good report. I am looking forward to seeing and holding it, cannot afford it but that will not stop me seeing and holding it !
    Panasonic web site has basic instructions to down load but the full book download is not working.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I just noticed today that the 20mm f1.7 has come down to £250 from £300 at Jacobs.

All the best,

Colin

• Like Like x 1
  8. robperks

robperks Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2009
    Ventura, Ca
    Maybe if we are lucky (fixed) they will come out with a GF3 that works like our GF1, but with an improved sensor, Better High ISO performance, full HD video blah blah.

The GF2 does not work much at all for how I use the camera. I love my GF1 and will be keeping an ear to the ground for deals on a backup body.

9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    No trips to Sweden for me ...