GF1 Wireless remote?

robperks

Mu-43 Regular
I know that Panasonic sells a wired remote that will plug into the side of the GF1, but is there a wireless remote availible, even if I have to build it out of parts from radioshack?

robperks

Mu-43 Regular
That looks very close to what I am looking for. In the decription they say it is similar to the DMW-RS1. Does anybody know what the difference between the DMW-RS1 and DMW-RSL1? I am having trouble finding my manual and or confirming if these two remotes do the same thing in the same way.

robperks

Mu-43 Regular
Ok, I bought the wireless remote from ebay and will report back once I have had some time to play with it. For $18 I figured it was worth a shot.

robperks

Mu-43 Regular
It is here!!

The remote came in the mail yesterday, and yes it works. played with it a bit on some test shots, and the half push / full push and 3 seccond delay work fine. It is a lille bit of work to set it up as it is 3 pieces, but functionally it is good. I was able to try out a long exposure here,

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/rperks1/5123704704/" title="Good Morning baby strawberries by rperks1, on Flickr">
5123704704_ea8bf79767_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"640" height="415" alt="Good Morning baby strawberries" /></a>

the technical shortcomings are me learning long exposures, not the remote.

robperks

Mu-43 Regular
Follow up

I thought it would be good to follow up with a quick review. The remote purchased through eBay is the uWinKa UR-D. It comes in 3 pieces, the remote, receiver and cable to connect the reciever to the port on the side of the GF1. The reciever can slide into the hotshoe for secure mounting or dangle from the cable if you wish. The remote has a half push point as well as full push and there are intant or 3 second delay settings. When the remote is half pushed the red led on the reciever lights up, then at full push there is a second blue led. Both are easy to see from a distance, particularly in the dark, to know that the remote is talking to the reciever.

Overall I am very pleased and think it is a heck of a deal for $20. I have been using it indoors for pictures of products as well as outdoors for long exposures asd the ocasional lonely boy self portrait. Today's shot involved the Gorilla pod and the 3 second timer.

View attachment 153015
Untitled by rperks1, on Flickr

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
Santa, please bring me this remote. Why couldn't Panasonic just build in the ability to use a remote.....I can't believe it adds that much to the cost.

yoshi234

Mu-43 Regular
Since I haven't been able to find any cables to remotely fire the camera with pocket wizards, I may try buying the linked remotes and try using that cable with my PWs.

wish me luck!
:smile:

Your post prompted me to go checkout ebay because I've wanted a wireless release for my G1 and I came across this and decided the price was right to give it a shot and made an impulse buy.

Remote Shutter for Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 GF1 GH1 FZ30 - eBay (item 160492284335 end time Nov-10-10 08:33:59 PST)

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Overall I am very pleased and think it is a heck of a deal for $20. I have been using it indoors for pictures of products as well as outdoors for long exposures asd the ocasional lonely boy self portrait. Today's shot involved the Gorilla pod and the 3 second timer.

View attachment 153044
Untitled by rperks1, on Flickr

So is that you riding down the road in that shot, having triggered the the shutter from the bike, or is the rider too far for it to work?

OT - I like your Riv shots a lot BTW and the Rawland shot in your gallery. I've been riding Rivs since 1997. At this point, a Bleriot built as a townie is the only one I have left, but I still have an old RB1. Mostly riding a Spectrum custom these days.

-Ray

robperks

Mu-43 Regular
Ray-
Yes that is me in the picture. I have the GF1 mounted to a pole up on the hill a bit above the road.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/rperks1/5192082112/" title="P1030629 by rperks1, on Flickr">
5192082112_b3fb1d6a57_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"640" height="480" alt="P1030629" /></a>

I triggered the half push as I approached, with center targeted focusing. then as I was past by about 15ft or so I activated the 3 second delay, this gives me time to drop the remote in the bar bag and relax, trying to not have the remote in hand look. It has taken a bit of practice. Think of the work one does to visualise the angle of veiw and compose a regular shot, then add the complexity of timing yourself moving through that cone. I realy am enjoying the challenge. Next step is to add a second remote and a fill flash

So far I have had luck up to 50 feet or so with the remote, but not pushed to far past that. I end up being a spec in the photo. Also, I have either had opperator error or occasional interference if I have the remote too close to my body and my body between the remote and the camera, as in some of the shots where I am sitting on the beach.

OT - Thanks for the complements on the bikes and pics. While the Riv's are very nice it sounds like you are pretty set with what you have to ride at the moment. My goal outside of having fun is to use the beautiful pictures to help convince people they should be getting out of their cars. It was pictures like that on the web years ago that lured me out of the car, I hope to be able to do the same for others.

So is that you riding down the road in that shot, having triggered the the shutter from the bike, or is the rider too far for it to work?

OT - I like your Riv shots a lot BTW and the Rawland shot in your gallery. I've been riding Rivs since 1997. At this point, a Bleriot built as a townie is the only one I have left, but I still have an old RB1. Mostly riding a Spectrum custom these days.

-Ray

Latest threads

Top Bottom