GF1 will not take close up photos!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by GE90, Jun 14, 2010.

1. GE90

GE90 New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2010
    Right, being a complete novice I am probably missing something here, but when taking close up photos (in Intel Auto), the camera sometime will not take the photo! Press the button and nothing!

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Welcome GE90, and I'm sure help is on the way! It's probably something to do with the automatic setting you're using. It may be limiting the focus via the aperture and shutter speed it is choosing for you. That said, let's see what some fine Panasonic shooters have to say. Hang on!

3. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    There could be lots of reasons why the camera won't let you take a photo in iA mode. If you're too close and the camera can't focus on the object you want in Macro mode, if you don't have enough light, if the previous photo hasn't finished writing to your card, etc., etc. Without more details on what you're trying to photograph and your setup it's difficult to say what could be the reason.

When you shoot in iA mode you're at the mercy of some software programmer who made those decisions for you years ago. It's best to start weening yourself off iA mode as much as you can so you can start taking control over your photography. Start my just switching to MF, then slowly migrate to the other modes that give you more control - P, A, S, and M.

4. rpress

rpress Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
    What lens do you have GE90? I have the 20mm/1.7 and it is reluctant to focus close up. It can do it though, just the auto-focus tends to focus on the background.

The best option for macro is to use the manual focus mode (button AF/AE), and move the camera physically closer or further away until you have reached focus. You can turn the focus ring on the lens depending on how big you want the object to appear.

5. GE90

GE90 New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2010
    Thanks all....

I have the 14-45 lens. I did try putting the camera into manual focus, but still no joy.

I was simply trying to take a close up photo of a memory card I am selling!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    The closest focusing is 11.81 inches. Any closer to the subject, and the camera won't focus.

• Like Like x 2
  7. GE90

GE90 New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2010
    Ah, thanks! Is their any way round this?

Cheers!

8. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    You could get a close-up filter, or a macro lens if you want to get closer to your subject.

I would think you should be able to capture most of that card if you simply zoom in to 45mm, then crop the resulting image. You don't need super-high resolution to post photos of items for sale over the internet if that's what you're doing.

• Like Like x 2
  9. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

Unless you can bend the laws of physics, no : )

That's why they sell a 45mm macro lens.

• Like Like x 2
  10. GE90

GE90 New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2010
    Lesson learnt guys! Probably just got a little worried that the camera was a fault - as if! Cheers

11. kwaphoto

kwaphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Colorado, USA
    Yep, that's the beauty of interchangeable lenses. You get the lens that is appropriate for the job. A dedicated macro lens is ideal for this. However, some other lenses do an okay job as well. The 20mm is not one of them, it wasn't designed to be either.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Your lens will only focus to about 12 inches no matter what way you do it. The minimum distance is across the range of the zoom so at 45MM you will get your largest magnification. I suspect, unless you have a gigantic memory card :biggrin:, you will have to crop to get it t the size you want for display.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
  14. Auntiepode

Auntiepode Mu-43 Regular

Improvised close-up "filter"

In a pinch you can hold a magnifying glass in front of your lens to shoot modest macro images. I set my 14-45 to 45 and held the magnifying glass against the front of the lens to photograph a memory card to illustrate. (Taken with a Lumix GF1 and 14-45mm lens.)

Attached Files:

15. GE90

GE90 New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2010
    Thanks again all, much appreciated!