GF1 video quality tips (and hack) help

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ashatron, Aug 10, 2010.

1. ashatron

ashatron Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    hi all,

ive got a video project coming up and im hoping to use the GF1+20mm. Does anybody have any tips on getting the best quality video out of the GF1?

sharpness +2? what lenses may be good? the 20mm is very sharp though isn't it. Any post process tips to increase quality?

I understand the 20mm does not have CAF, which brings around questions of focusing, like what focus distance does f1.7 (which the GF1 is locked to if unhacked) have when focused at infinity?

And there is obviously the hack!

Do you lot know of any good videos showing the hacked GF1 high bitrate video samples compared to unhacked footage?

i can find hacked videos but i want to see how much of an improvement this hack makes.

Hope you're well and hope you can help! :)
    (long post sry!)

2. ashatron

ashatron Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    and there is a video forum...sorry guys, wrong place! :/

3. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    You should really use the hack. It delivers insanely good material with any good lens.

Don't use any special settings in the camera. You can always sharpen in post, but this is really not necessary. With the hack the GF/GH1 deliver really good video compared to the cost of the camera.

And now the manual settings in GF1 bring it to a whole new level. Before it would use too much "gain", as in up the ISO automatically. Now you have total control over your filming :)

If you want proof, you can just shoot a video clip with your GF1 and 20mm and then shoot it again with hacked firmware. The whole process should only take 30 mins max.

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

This link might help in comparing.

5. grum

grum Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    So the manual controls are now working with the GF1 hack. :eek:

Think I'm going to have to take the plunge.

6. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Be sure to let us know how you get on

7. jp3105

jp3105 New to Mu-43

Jul 21, 2010
    Can someone clear up something for me regards CAF and the 20mm panasonic lens please.

When i use the 20mm on my GF-1 , it does autofocus when shooting video , is this not CAF?

8. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    I would be interested to see a before-after comparison. I have not seen
    one yet.
    The most demanding scenes are wind blowing on the leaves of the trees,
    grass patches, cornfields.
    :smile:

9. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    It is, but it is really slow and chunky compared to the 14-140 (which is video optimized) or even the other Panny zoom lenses, not to mention noisy. Panny does not consider it fast enough to support AFC in regular photography modes, and it is thus disabled.

10. jp3105

jp3105 New to Mu-43

Jul 21, 2010
    Ah , I see now - just had never tried video with my other lenses - they are indeed a lot faster focusing. Cheers.