1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF1 users: Is the G3 our best option?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by agoglanian, Jul 4, 2011.

1. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    So I'm happy with my GF1, let me start with that.

I would love a camera that performs better in low light though, I'm spoiled by my 5DmkII and 1DmkIII in that regard.

From my understanding the G3 is looking like a great upgrade for us GF1 shooters. I'm curious if anyone else feels the same?

Or does Panasonic have something else in the pipeline that's a suitable replacement for the GF1?

• Like Like x 3
  2. JoelSutherland

JoelSutherland Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 6, 2010
    I'm a GF1 user too and looking for better low-light performance as well.

If I HAD to buy a camera today, the G3 would be it. The newer sensor seems to clear my low-light needs. ~1-2 more stops over the GF1 would be all that is needed for easy, casual indoor shots with the 20/1.7. The EVF is a bonus.

All that said, I'm going to try to hold out. Rumor has it that the GF line is getting split to include a more 'pro' option:

43 Rumors | Blog | Thanks for your help! And next amazing rumor period coming (Fuji m43, Panasonic GF and GH3, Pen Pro, Sigma and so on)

I'm not normally one that will wait on a rumor, but I'm sufficiently excited by this possibility that I'm going to wait. The GF1 with a new sensor and built in EVF is pretty much all I would ever ask for.

3. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    Yeah I agree with your opinions and share them as my own. I'm not in a rush to replace the GF1 as it's a fine performer, but I would love to see a built in EVF and better low light. Honestly I'd love to have a m4/3 X100 ;)

4. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    I think most of us would agree on that :D Rumor is that fuji is coming out with an interchangeable lens camera soon: Photo Rumors

5. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    What's New at The Luminous Landscape

Based on this report from LL I think I will indeed wait and see what's in the works. The specs are good, but some of his frustrations would bother me as well.

Still sounds like a great camera for a lot of people though.

6. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

Your original post pretty much sums up my needs: a GF1 with a built-in, high resolution VF. Which in many ways is what a G3 represents, with the addition of the articulating screens.

You mention his frustrations: the only one I noted was the lack of the auto-switch for the EVF, which is present on the GH2. I didn't really pick up on any others?

That auto-switch would be nice, but it's absence on the GF1 + EVF has never bothered me. On the G3 the manual switch for the EVF is well located and very easy to activate - after a few moments I didn't think about it.

Michael's view is different because he is a heavy GH2 user, and I am not. I make many changes with the camera to my eye in any case, which is very easy with the awesome EVF on the G3.

I liked the G3 very much, and noted that it is more compact than a GF1 or E-P2 when their EVFs are attached, and it's smooth lines make it easy to insert or remove from a bag. The articulating screen adds more versatility.

If I were buying today, it would be my choice, but given the upcoming options I will wait a few months and see what is on offer. My GF1 remains an outstanding camera and works flawlessly for me.

For what it is worth, I predict that the 'pro' GF has more manual controls etc. but does not have a built-in EVF, but instead a new very high resolution replacement for the VF1. Hope I am wrong...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Maeda

Maeda Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    I thought the G3 was the best option... so much so I sold my GF1.

8. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    I'll know soon

I’ve been waiting for an upgrade to the GF1 and have been disappointed (for my purposes anyway) in both the GF2 and GF3 -- neither having the EVF that I’ve been waiting for.

While there's a rumor that there will be an enthusiast heir to the GF1, there are two other cameras seem to meet my need for a small-bag (carry everywhere) camera with a built in EVF now: The X100 and the G3.

After trying the hybrid viewfinder of the X100, I felt that the Panasonic EVF (that’s on my G1) is the better choice. I also want an interchangeable lens camera to take advantage of my present lenses (20mm, 7-14mm and the 14-140mm). I had a chance to buy an X100 at the recommended retail price, but I decided to wait for the G3.

So when the G3 was announced as both smaller than the full-size bodies of the earlier Gs, and having an improved EVF, that seemed to be the way to go. I won’t keep you in suspense, I’ve ordered the G3 and it should arrive in a few days.

I’ve read the recent Luminous Landscape review. Michael Reichmann mentions the form factor and that, “Smaller [cameras], like Panasonic's GF2 [and] the new G3, ...are just too small for me for all-day shooting using a variety of lenses.” I accept that as being the case in any camera small enough to carry all the time.

What caught my attention, however, was Reichmann’s view that, “The new G3 may well be one of the best Micro Four Thirds cameras yet. And, except for those that need more versatile video capability, the G3 may in fact be a preferable camera for some users than the top-of-the-line GH2.”

• Like Like x 2
  9. Maeda

Maeda Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010

I just read that, and it made me even more excited to get my G3.. :D

10. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I'm holding out for the GF Pro, but may end up going Oly EP3/EPL3 for the IBIS, wich would probably help with low light shooting (I mainly use primes, only the 45/2.8 has OIS). I just don't like the ergonomics as much on Oly as I do on the GF1.

11. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    Mmmmh... I've got a GF1 for general street use (with 20mm), and E-P2 for old primes (EVF and IBIS!). Seeing the new focusing capabilities, I'd change both for one of the new Olys. G3 is tempting for its low-light capabilities and different form factor, I'd say a two bodies setup now could be G3 + EP[any]

12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I have ordered a G2 and tghink that an Epl-1 could be the right choice seeing the price drop if IBIS is needed.

The new Olys are a bit disappointing me.

13. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    I haven't yet seen one personally, but what was missing, mainly, was a quick focusing system. As it is now, the new olys can easily substitute GF1, with the added benefit of IBIS. Speaking of compact, no integrated evf cameras.
    G2 and then G3 and GHs are different cameras.
    I agree that G2+Epl1 are a great bargain combo right now.
    But I'm tempted by the G3 sensor, and waiting to see the real quality of the oly tweaked 12MP.

14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I already own a K5 so for me has no sense buying a G3 now, but in the future if GH3 comes out and is so terrific as rumor say then maybe I could sell my K5for a GH3, I say maybe:wink:

15. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I have a GH2 and I suspect if the G3 had been available, I'd have bought it instead. That said, the primary purpose of getting the gh2 and selling my ep2 was primarily the AF speed, reduced shutter lag, and generally faster performance all around - all very important for shooting at longer focal lengths and for semi-action shooting.

But if I was looking for something with a smaller form factor, along the lines of a gf1 or an ep2, I wouldn't have gotten either. In fact, I may well sell the GH2 when the new Pens come out if their AF is even AS fast as the GH2, let alone faster, as advertised. I don't care about a built-in viewfinder, particularly if I can attach one when using a long lens - other than that I almost never need one. And I have an X100 for when I really want a viewfinder - that OVF has spoiled me and no EVF lives up to it anymore anyway. The only time I'd want an EVF in an m43 camera is for a really long focal length to help steady it or in really bright light if the LCD/OLED wasn't up to the task. But more and more LCDs and OLED screens are up to the task of being visible even in very bright light, so I think this is less and less of an issue. So, I'd rather have an m43 camera with a smaller form factor and wouldn't want either the bump or the rearward extension of the G3's evf on an everyday camera. The VF2 is a MORE than adequate evf on the Olys on the rare occasion I want to use one.

This is just me of course. I'd probably prefer the G3 to a GH2, if only slightly. But will probably prefer the EPL3 or EP3 to either of them. And probably a good deal more than slightly.

-Ray

16. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I find the Oly's disappointing too, in my case for the controls and ergonomics. My E-P2 was fine in terms of image quality, but I much prefer the controls on Panasonics.

For me IBIS is not important - I don't shoot above 45mm and very low light is not my thing.

The importance of an eye-level VF, optical or electronic, is a very personal thing. I prefer having one, and my ideal is to have it permanently available.

I found the G3 to be a beautifully handling camera, very intuitive and effective. As with all cameras, if possible it's useful to handle one in person before deciding. I think most will be surprised just how compact and well laid-out it is, and how the EVF adds almost no bulk to a GF1 sized camera, even with the rear protrusion. The photographs of the camera do not do it justice.

It's great the M4/3 is no offering more choice: almost something for everyone.

17. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    This is my bet as well. I see the GF line, including pro offshoot, as being without EVF. Afterall, what is a GF with built in EVF? Isn't it a G3? You are really wanting a G3 that looks like a GF camera.

18. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Agreed. But since the OP stated he was happy with his GF1, mentioned improved low light performance, but DIDN'T mention anything about an EVF, I was assuming it wasn't a real high priority for him. If I'm right in that interpretation, I think he should either check out the new Olympus cams or wait and see what the rumored higher end GF camera looks like (whenever it appears).

But I absolutely agree that the increased choices we have are excellent. ANYONE who's OK with the IQ and low light performance of m43 should be able to find an m43 camera very much to their liking, from the mini-DSLR like GH2 to the ultra compact GF3 and upcoming Oly, and pretty nearly every gradation in between. And now with the performance levels of m43 getting so close to DSLRs, it turning into a heck of a fine system. Which is why I've hung on to my lenses even though I've been shooting very little m43 lately. It just seems to me that as the sensors continue to improve, its gonna be the best size / IQ / performance compromise in very short order if its not already.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    The lenses are an important factor in M4/3 for me. The ones I use vary from very good to great by my measurement, and their lack of bulk and weight is a real bonus after years of L lenses. I agree: it does look like the entire M4/3 'package' is offering an excellent se of compromises to meet the needs of many photographers.

20. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Well I think that m4/3 is getting mature so maybe it's the real path for 4/3 size. For me EVF is important and also IS, but choosing from the two I choose EVF si I bought G2 also for its price point.

As soon as it arrives and also the adapter arrives I'll try cit with legacy lens and see how I can cope with it.