GF1 takes a fall

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ccunningham, Oct 18, 2010.

1. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Or a drop to be more precise. I was out this weekend at a park with a backpack filled with my G1, my 4/3 9-18mm zoom and adapter, my 4/3 40-150 and my 14-45, some filters and other miscellany. I had the GF1 and 20mm on a strap over my shoulder. As I was trying to get the GF1 off my shoulder so I could access the backpack, I fumbled it, lost my grip and watched in horror (horror I say!) as the camera dropped from waist height onto a concrete slab, lens-first, then bounced and flipped half-way to land on its back.

:eek:

I couldn't believe I had just dropped my second favorite (or best, however you look at it) camera and lens. And onto an abrasive, unyielding piece of concrete no less.

So I picked it up, dusted it off, and took a look at what the damage was. (I've left out the part where I briefly lost control of my bodily functions.)

And the damage was... Well, initially I couldn't find any. On closer inspection a couple of marks in the finish on the corners is all I've been able to find wrong with it, and a small scrape on the ring of the UV filter that was on the lens. So minimal that you have to know where to look or you wouldn't even notice.

As far as I can tell that was it. I was absolutely certain as I was reaching down to pick it up that I was going to have to stuff it in my backpack, take it home and ship it to Panasonic and hope that it was economically feasible to repair it, but it appears that I was wrong. I used it the rest of the afternoon, and when I got home did more extensive (for me at least) functional testing.

:2thumbs:

It looks like this GF1 and 20mm appears to be trying hard to work it's way into that number one favorite spot. It's at least tied for first right now.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I always love stories with a happy ending. I did the same thing - dropped my G10 from waist height. I picked it up fearing the worst, but all was OK. Needless to say I've been a bit more careful since.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Your both very lucky.
    That also kills the "1 drop per camera theory".
    Maybe youse should buy lottery tickets.
    Shooter

• Like Like x 4
  4. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    There must be some Murphy's/Sod's Law extension covering this. :confused:

Consider:
    I had a 200 USD G1 body and an 40-150 that cost 89 USD with me for total of 289 USD. I could have dropped that kit and together they cost less than the GF1 body or the 20mm lens cost individually. And the GF1 w/20 was the only gear NOT in the padded backpack.
    (Oddly, what looks to be the best shot I got Sunday was with the G1 and adapted 40-150 after the drop, so I AM glad I didn't break this either)

Oh well, a hazard of using gear, I guess.

Not that you can tell from this anecdote, but I really do tend to be reasonably careful with my gear, not because I cherish it as valuable objets d'art, it's just that gear is usually expensive and I don't want to have to replace it because of my own foolishness. In this case I couldn't have afforded a replacement body and lens anyways, even if repair costs had been more than I could afford. It just would have had to stay broken.

This is definitely an example of being lucky. Hopefully I won't be dropping this or anything else regularly.

Frankly due to the mild anxiety and panic induced, and the possible finanical effects, I can't give a recommendation to anyone that they start dropping their gear regularly.

Or at all, if possible.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Is the GF1 metal-bodied?
    I don't bother noticing the drops my Oly e-410 has had.
    Down the stone steps into the garden, or off the bedside table, kicked across the room onto the wooden floor.
    Tough blighter. All plastic too!
    I have no such confidence in the G1s or the e-600 : them flippy screens ...

• Like Like x 2
  6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

ccunningham you were indeed lucky! You, too, Fiddler - and I agree about the happy ending preference.:biggrin:

Ulfric, I think you were pretty lucky as well. I don't know about the percentages when it comes to dropping cameras and expensive damage resulting, and I'd prefer not to have any personal experience!:wink:

• Like Like x 2
  7. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Yes, aluminum, it looks like. At least my pink one is.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    It certainly feels like it, but I'm not 100% sure. It looked like rubber as it bounced back up into the air after the initial impact, but it might be made of kryptonite or unobtainium for all I really know.

I totally wrecked (again, not intentionally) my first 35mm SLR after several years. It was a Pentax K1000 and I toted it around on its shoulder strap or in a plain cloth backpack. The prism was dented in, one of the strap lugs eventually came loose, it was ugly. But it still worked!

I soaked a Nikon D90 during the spring. It was raining so I had stuck it in one of those fancy plastic bags that have a place for your arm at the bottom and a cinch-tight opening for the lens. The good part was that no rain got in. The bad part is that I discovered that condensation built up inside the bag to the point that the camera body, lens and battery grip were dripping wet by the time I got back to the car. I took the bag off, then dried everything with paper towels I found in the car. None of it seemed to make any difference, the gear has never seemed to be any worse for it.

Last winter my D40 took a wild tumble when I slipped and fell on an icy sidewalk. It was in a padded shoulder bag, but it was a still a wildly violent trip it took to reach the pavement. It also didn't seem to be any worse for wear when I picked it back up. It hit harder than you might think since my flailing around foolishly as I lost my balance caused the bag and its contents to swing up above my head before I finally lost my battle with gravity.

I can certainly appreciate rugged dependability. I guess most people do, or at least did, or Timex wouldn't have marketed their watches as "Takes a licking, and keeps on ticking."
    [Insert crazy stunt demonstrating the abuse of a Timex watch here.]

9. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Man, If I dropped my GF1 and I picked it up in two pieces, you would see a grown man cry. Thankfully yours staid as one. I'm a shocker for getting even the smallish blemish on my gear. I used to feel as a part of me had died, but thankfully due to the never ending state of entropy I have got used to it. A bit! *shifty eyes*

• Like Like x 2
  10. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    what a great story.

Glad to hear that your camera came through this ok. A few years back I watched the end of a beautiful friendship as a mans girl friend handed him his camera case (which he hadn't closed the top of) and out came a long and expensive telephoto lens for his Nikon DSLR. He picked it up, looked at her and walked back to his car and said nothing. They had been out photographing a waterfall and he had wanted to change lens. It had a broken filter, but it sounded as if everything inside it had come lose. Happy to hear that the GF1 is that tough, but I still hope I never drop mine.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike

• Like Like x 2
  11. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    Aside from resale value, I don't usually worry too much about cosmetics. In fact, if it's something I'm planning to use until it breaks, a little wear gives it "personality".:biggrin:

Seriously though, while I'm not going to start treating it like a hocky puck, I'm much impressed with how rugged the little beastie seems to be.

12. Jackson Miller

Jackson Miller Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 29, 2010
    If you drop a cam and the lens hits, MAKE SURE there is no AF problem. I did that once and the AF didn't work every now and then.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    I've still got no issues so far.

14. jaiyenjohn

jaiyenjohn New to Mu-43

Dec 3, 2010
    Add me to the list of astounded GF-1 owners. I dropped the camera and the 20mm lens waist high on to a wood coffee table where it then bounced off and hit the tile floor.

I bent down and thought I'd be picking up little exploded camera bits, but it looked fine, and I turned it on, and no problems! This thing is a tank. It took me a while to find any cosmetic damage (a couple of small scratches on the bottom).

I am really impressed with the build quality of this thing!

• Like Like x 2
  15. nolaSafari

nolaSafari Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    New Orleans
  16. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I have a friend who, after watching a trailer full of logs slide down a hill and smash his relatively new pickup in the rear bumper/tailgate, said "good, now, it's a truck." I would have cried, but he was a different kind of guy.

As for the GF1, it definitely seems really well built; one reason I chose to keep it. I hope that I never drop it, but if I do, I won't assume the worst.

• Like Like x 2
  17. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Glad to hear it ended well! I have to say I'm not too confident about my E-P1's survival in such a situation..

• Like Like x 2