GF1 - Strange banding at ISO100 HELP!

Leedsgreen

Mu-43 Rookie
Dear All,

A couple of weeks back I took some shots with my GF1 at ISO100 and observed some really bad banding in my images. However, I was then away for a while and had less chance to take shots. This weeked I have quickly been out with my camera and notice the same issue. Attached is a 100% crop of one of the images. This was taken with the Lumix 14-45mm lens (45mm), ISO100, 1/40 shutter at F/5.6. The attached image is from the RAW file but excatly the same issue shows in the jpeg image. I have boosted the fill light and brightness slightly to highlight the problem. However, it is still very apparant in the jpeg shot

Can anyone tell me if a) this is normal and b) if they've seen it in their images? My sense is that the camera has a big fault and I should be able to return for replacement. I would welcome any help or advice (or any further questions).

Thanks very much,

Nick

Attachments

• 21_11_10_(100%_trim).jpg
    21_11_10_(100%_trim).jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 282

everythingsablur

Mu-43 Veteran
Is that on every shot you take? Do you only have the one lens?

Looks pretty ugly; like you are taking pictures through a wire screen and not focussing through it well. I have not seen this happen on my GF1 <knock on wood>.

Leedsgreen

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks for response. No, it isn't on every shot, just some. However, as far as I'm concerned it shouldn't be on any. I only have the one lens as well (but your questions makes me think that should I return the camera, I should also return the lens).

On this evidence, would you expect a replacement?

Thanks again,

Nick

jmacpix

Mu-43 Regular
On this evidence, would you expect a replacement?

You bet! Any reputable camera store should give you a replacement no question. That banding is definitely not right. I've seen horizontal banding like that on my DSLRs which is always a sign the shutter is going (after over 100,000 exposures) but never vertical banding.

Stand firm and get what you want from the store.

Cheers
Jeff

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Nick, it's definitely a sensor issue. A lens would not do that evenly across the image.
Return it and post your story when it gets resolved.
Thanks... Don

Leedsgreen

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks for further replies. Have now parcelled it up for return to Amazon (including copy of image). Will let you know what happens .

Nick

Leedsgreen

Mu-43 Rookie
All,

Thanks for more advice. I have now posted back to Amazon. For the record, I was using the original battery (I haven't bought a spare yet) as well as a Sandisk Extreme 4 GB SDHC card (rated at 30MB/s). My sense is that neither should cause the problem (although I will do a test when I get replacement).

Cheers,

Nick

Latest threads

Top Bottom