GF1 Shutter noise

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by NikonD300, Apr 9, 2012.

1. NikonD300

NikonD300 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2011
    Does anyone else find the GF1 shutter sound too loud!? My old Leica M6 never caught anyone's attention, but my GF1 turns heads on a quiet street. Why should a non-DSLR camera without a flapping mirror makes so much noise?
  2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    This is true. It has a non-muffled, higher pitched sound.

I'd much rather have the heavy clunk of the E-PM1/PL3. I'd gets drowned out more than the GF1
  3. -Swo0p

-Swo0p Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 16, 2012
    find the GF3 pretty loud too but havent heard the GF1 to compare
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've developed something similar to "Pavlov's Dogs" syndrome in respect to shutter sounds. When I find a camera I like and know that it takes images that I am happy with, the shutter becomes a positive sound. That could explain why I am feeling a bit lost with the Canon G1X at the moment, since the only shutter sound I can get out of it is a simulated sound when my brain is expecting the sound of a focal plane shutter. I don't associate a near silent shutter with a camera that produces such great images.
  5. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The Leica shutter is more of a "snick" vs the "clack" of the GF. I would say my GF3 is louder than my M3 or old IIIa, but as also mentioned, it's a higher pitch that tends to get your attention more. Either way, I think most photogs are a bit more self-aware of shutter sounds than the public. When shooting wedding candids with a DSLR, I rarely catch anyone's attention. Sometimes I practically have to call out or throw something to get someone's attention.