1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF1 Shutter noise

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by NikonD300, Apr 9, 2012.

1. NikonD300

NikonD300 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2011
    Does anyone else find the GF1 shutter sound too loud!? My old Leica M6 never caught anyone's attention, but my GF1 turns heads on a quiet street. Why should a non-DSLR camera without a flapping mirror makes so much noise?

2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    This is true. It has a non-muffled, higher pitched sound.

I'd much rather have the heavy clunk of the E-PM1/PL3. I'd gets drowned out more than the GF1

3. -Swo0p

-Swo0p Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 16, 2012
    find the GF3 pretty loud too but havent heard the GF1 to compare

4. I've developed something similar to "Pavlov's Dogs" syndrome in respect to shutter sounds. When I find a camera I like and know that it takes images that I am happy with, the shutter becomes a positive sound. That could explain why I am feeling a bit lost with the Canon G1X at the moment, since the only shutter sound I can get out of it is a simulated sound when my brain is expecting the sound of a focal plane shutter. I don't associate a near silent shutter with a camera that produces such great images.

5. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The Leica shutter is more of a "snick" vs the "clack" of the GF. I would say my GF3 is louder than my M3 or old IIIa, but as also mentioned, it's a higher pitch that tends to get your attention more. Either way, I think most photogs are a bit more self-aware of shutter sounds than the public. When shooting wedding candids with a DSLR, I rarely catch anyone's attention. Sometimes I practically have to call out or throw something to get someone's attention.