GF1 Remote Shutter Schematic?

DarrenG

Mu-43 Regular
I know I can get a cheap remote shutter release but as I prefer to make things where I can, I want to make my own.

It's a simple thing but I need the schematic. Ideally, once I've made one I can easily then add extra features such as interval, timed release, remote trigger etc etc.

Edit: Is it the same remote shutter release for the GH1 as the GF1? If so then I have the schematic, just need to order a 2.5mm 4-pole plug!

Danny_Two

Mu-43 Regular
The GF's the G's and the GH1's have the same single jack plug, according to the model list on the remote shuter I have.

DarrenG

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks guys, although I wasn't finding any hits on GF1 schematic, searching on GH1 threw up a few that provided what I need so parts have been ordered and I'll be making one soonest.

It's actually a very simple circuit but I'll be able to expand it easily enough for use with remote triggers etc and it's always nicer to have one you've built than some cheap Chinese product.

DarrenG

Mu-43 Regular
Fair enough, but I've plans for much more with mine than just a basic remote shutter release and I enjoy the fun of the build as well :)

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
I may have it

I believe I have the diagram at home. I'll check and will post it. But before you decide to build it, you'll have to find the rather rare 4 conductor plug that it uses. The remote consists of two buttons (normally open) and two resistors. I purchased a wireless receiver and transmitter from EBAY and built my own wireless controller.

Regarding the cable, it's the same plug that Nokia used on their cell phones several years ago. I found the plug with a 3 ft cable on a wired Nokia ear piece at my local $1 store. Cut the ear piece off and you'll have the plug prewired.

All Panasonic "G" series and "FZ" series cameras use the same design, though there have been three different model remotes. All work just fine.

DarrenG

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks Bob but it's ok, I built it this afternoon. I Had to order in the 2.5mm 4-pole plug but had all the rest of the bits, resistors, stripboard etc.

Wish I'd thought of using a pre-wired cell phone cable as the most difficult part of the whole build was soldering to the 2.5mm plug. There is very little clearance on the posts and it took the most time.

But I got there in the end. I went with one momentary switch for focus and a latching one for shutter so I can use it in bulb mode. It works fine but I may add another momentary switch in parallel for non-bulb mode.

Now all I need is a clear night sky so I can use it to image the ISS as it passes over and try out some star trail photography.

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
Schematic

I'm really sorry I took solong to post this, but I had to search my archives! This will work on all "G" series cameras (except GF2 which has no remote connector) and any FZ series that have the connector.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/5472323149/" title="FZ WIRED WIRING by Wasabi Bob, on Flickr">
5472323149_facff353b7_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"640" height="436" alt="FZ WIRED WIRING" /></a>

spark

Mu-43 Regular
I just found the perfect rocker switch for this circuit. It is a 2 position rocker found in an old hair dryer.

0 is unpressed
1 is half pressed
2 is full pressed

The nice thing about this type of switch is that it won't lose the focus lock when transitioning from half to full pressed.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStWnWnv6G2ZEd14P1JIV9q3W0RaSG7k7vTPCK0WvMjlZJkkfHq.jpg

I'm really sorry I took solong to post this, but I had to search my archives! This will work on all "G" series cameras (except GF2 which has no remote connector) and any FZ series that have the connector.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/5472323149/" title="FZ WIRED WIRING by Wasabi Bob, on Flickr">
5472323149_facff353b7_z.jpg
"640" height="436" alt="FZ WIRED WIRING" /></a>

Latest threads

Top Bottom