GF1 reassurance

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ritualnet, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    Seem
    Now I have my GF1 (£350 with 20mm f1.7... I think I got a decent deal?), I'm feeling a bit like I made a bad decision. No VF (and the add-on one is expensive, and gets mediocre reviews), and my parter pointed out that there's no zoom, so I'm going to lose shots when on holiday. She also insisted that I sell off my DSLRs (D40, Dynax 5d) and film bodies as this was to be my "grail" of cameras.

One option is to just sell it off again, and scream for a few hours afterwards. However I don't have the voice for screaming, so the other option is maybe pick up a second body. I was looking at the G1 (with it's original kit lens), which would kill two birds with one stone. I gain a 14-45mm zoom lens, which supposedly is a very decent kit lens, and a body with the flippable LCD and EVF. On Ebay, the price of the 14-45mm kit lens is around £200, while auctions of a G1 with said kit lens are around that price too, so in theory, I pick up a new lens with a free body.

The worry I have then is, will I end up with a spare body I never use? Do people, who use two bodies, actually have points when they need/use one body over the other? If I am desperate for a "new body" should I look at an olly package instead?

Sorry. I've got... problems with re-assurance, I don't get buyer's remorse, I get buyer's depression. I could buy the most perfect thing in the world and still worry myself sick over if I did the right thing! :eek:

2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    It's hard to recommend depending on what your expectations are exactly. IQ wise, it won't matter between the two. So it boils down to the EVF mostly. And that is mostly a personal opinion =P To me, I could do w/o it if I had to, and if it were purely a personal camera.

As for lenses, I'd just keep the 20 because it's faster and more compact (in combination w/ the GF1). But I'm also more comfortable with a prime and willing to miss the shot.

As for dual bodies, it's mostly in case one dies for me. But after using two for events... I wouldn't be surprised seeing myself carry two bodies to "switch lenses" faster =)

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Well, what motivated you to go for the GF1 in the first place? Size? Looks? Features?

If you want 1 body that does it all (except video), the G1 is certainly the most affordable option. OTOH, if you like the compact style of the GF1, but must have a (good) viewfinder, then an Oly may be a better option (though Oly UK prices tend to be a bit steep). There's nothing wrong with having multiple bodies, provided you have strong reasons for keeping and using both.

Also, if you have a chance, try out the GF1's EVF. It's not for everyone, but you may find it sufficient.

DH

4. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Instead of buying the GF1's evf, you'd be better off selling the GF1 and buying a G3, as the overall package would end up smaller. Also the G3's image quality is better, and the viewfinder is of a higher quality. If you are going to spend a lot of time outdoors in the sun, a viewfinder will be invaluable. Taking photos with the GF1 in sunlight is pretty much guesswork (but often successful nonetheless).

This chap is selling one with the kit zoom on this very forum. You are unlikely to get much for the GF1 on its own unfortunately. Though it is still a very capable camera, since the GX1 and OM-D came along it is not longer the enthusiast's choice. Most of the £350 you paid was for the lens, which is very highly regarded.

I swapped my 400d, Tamron 17-50 (a brilliant lens) and Canon 50mm 1.8 (also excellent) for the same kit you now have, as I was intending to travel, and I knew I couldn't be bothered with the bulk of a DSLR. It was a worthwhile switch as I just spent the whole time with the camera around my neck, always ready to take a shot, but not getting in the way.

I like the 20mm as a walkabout lens. However I forced at times to take multiple shots and stitch them together afterwards. I've since bought a wide angle lens, the Olympus 9-18, which would've come in very handy. I still haven't bought a long lens though, and I probably never will. For me, that is not what mirrorless cameras are meant for, their size advantage is pretty much nil when you have a great big 200mm lens on the front.

5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Just a few words from the other side of the GF1 vs. G3 comparison: I much prefer the handling and controls of the GF1 over the G3. I had hoped the G3 would be a worthy successor to the G2 and GF1, but the takebacks in terms of external controls, film modes, and grip really disappointed me.

No argument, however, about the EVF and resolution, so if the factors I touched on aren't important, the G3 may work fine for you.

6. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    Here's some reassurance: :wink:

IMO, I recommend that you don't do anything rash just yet. :smile:

I am an enthusiast and long time photographer, and the GF1 and G1 are still my choices to use in the Micro 4/3 format.

I chose the pair specifically for travel photography, and they complement each other very well. The have the same IQ and they both use the same batteries. If you can find a G1 with original 14-45mm zoom for essentially the price of the lens, then I'd say go for it.

Why don't you shoot with the GF1 for a while to find out what you like/dislike about it before you consider more equipment?

The GF1's EVF is not the best in terms of resolution, but it works well for aiding in composition when it's too bright outside to use the LCD.

The 20mm is a great all-around lens, and depending on your shooting style and subject matter, it might be all the you need. You never know until you've lived with it for a while.

Because Mu-43 gear is so compact and light, I sometimes carry both bodies with me, each with a different lens so that I can quickly switch to one or the other body depending on what I want to shoot at the moment. It saves me the time and hassle of changing lenses in a quick shooting situation.

On our recent trip to Oregon, my wife used the GF1 w/14-45mm exclusively while I use the G1 with: 14mm, 20mm, 40mm Hexanon (Adapted), and 45-200mm. You can check out our shots at:

Wife's photos: Oregon Trip - May 2012

My pictures from the trip:

Oregon Trip - May 2012, Warren's Pictures

--Warren

• Like Like x 2
  7. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Warren, when I said 'the enthusiast's choice', I meant when buying new. I didn't mean to imply that there aren't plenty of enthusiasts still enjoying their GF1s, such as myself.

Doesn't the G3 have the same grip as the GF2, which is a bit more substantial than the GF1's? I guess it does have fewer external controls though, but IMO the losses from the GF1 should be covered by what the touchscreen adds. Aside from AF/AE lock. I don't really shoot that way, but I imagine that would be a big loss for some users.

8. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    I see, thanks for clarifying. :smile:

Yes, the G3 is very tempting as a GF1 replacement: great EVF built-in, newer sensor, touchscreen, etc. I don't want to think about it too much :wink:, don't want that dreaded GAS build-up happening. :rofl:

I love the solid build quality of the GF1, the control layout, and also the choice of not using the EVF if one wants to carry a very compact kit (GF1 + 14mm prime).

--Warren

9. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    The grip on the G3 is a contoured finger rest, which for me gives less true gripping surface than the vertical ridge on the GF1. The first time I put a 45-200 lens on the G3, the camera almost fell out of my hand. Never happened with the GF1 or the G2.

Re touchscreen vs. controls: can't use the touchscreen while looking through the EVF. Buttons, on the other hand, can be used by feel without taking one's eye off the prize.

10. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    To the OP: Here's another vote for keeping the GF1 for a while to see how you get along with it. And, even if you eventually get another micro four-thirds camera body, you'll still want the 20mm f/1.7. If you eventually add a G1 or G3 body, you probably won't need your Nikon D40 any longer.

Personally, I think a G3 with a GF1 as a back-up body would make for a fine kit. G3's tend to come with Panasonic's newer 14-42mm kit zoom. It'll get the job done but what you really want is the 14-45mm. But you can add it later if needed. Or go with a G1 or G2 if you find one in good shape with the 14-45 zoom. Remember, the G1 and G2 will use the same battery as your GF1. The G3 uses a smaller battery.

11. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    Seem
    Thank you for all the replies. I do feel a bit more confident. It helped taking it out today for a quick few shots, and my partner had a go on it, and didn't seem to mind it either. I do miss the VF of a SLR, but it comes to something when I spend my time looking at pictures, and realising I had no idea what was happening, as I was more focused on the HUD information, or the histogram on the back. It's nice to go back to a "point and shoot" mind-frame.

I'm keeping the GF1 for now, and will be ebaying a case and strap (although the official Panasonic case is half the price, I'd rather go with the classic brown style of the HK cases), and I'll keep an eye out for a cheap G1 body with 14-45mm kit lens. As I said, two birds, one stone. My partner was on about the waste of having two bodies, and she wasn't very convinced when I gave her some suggestions (i.e. keeping one lens on each body), but even she can't complain if I buy a kit lens and hey, there's a free G1 body with it. *coughs*

The only thing I'd miss getting rid of the D40 and it's stuff, is the Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6. I'll have no zoom at all, and something similar on the M43 range (G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega O.I.S I think) is £250-ish, plus it means slapping a large lens on a small camera.

Anyway, thank you. You've given me some confidence. Now to pick up the essentials (LCD protector, case, strap, UV filter).

12. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Look at the Ollie 40 or 50 to 150 mm lens, which is closer in angle of view to the 55-200mm Nikon. The G Vario 45-200 has a narrower angle of view (I've got one for my GF1 and take environmental bird shots with it). (B) Things show up used.

13. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    Seem
    Well the camera is growing on me. I've gone into the menu to find it's got around 650 shutter count, which I think is good (right?), taken some shots with it, and got it wearing a pretty new panny leather case to boot.

14. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Re shutter count of 650, that would be equivalent to using 18 rolls of 36-exposure film; might have done that in a month or less in a camera that lasted for years!

15. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    Only 650, that's more or less new!

16. ascherjim

ascherjim Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2010
    I couldn't agree more with Warren. I have owned and cherished for a long time both the GF1 and the G1, which I use alternately and in tandem with a variety of lenses, including lenses from my old Nikon FD 35mm film camera., and with a Fotodiox shift adapter for modest panoramas. I purchased used an EVF for the GFI which I find quite excellent. The G1 sells in the US for peanuts these days. Having access to the use of both cameras has really opened up a myriad of photo opportunities for me. Jim

17. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    Seem
    I was looking at the EVF, but it seems to be more expensive than a G1 body, or most of the cost of a G1 with a 14-45mm.

At the moment, I've got GAS. I'm looking at picking up a kit lens, but I'm trying to "accidently" pick up a second body in the process. Either a G1, or a PEN e-P1 (so beautiful). I know the 14-45mm panny kit lens is the best, but the fact that the PEN's one reduces to a small size is a good idea too.