GF1 owners - is this normal?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jayh, Nov 11, 2011.

1. jayh

jayh New to Mu-43

Nov 11, 2011
    Hi All,

I recently acquired a Panny GF1 (with 20mm pancake lens) and I have to say it's a great little camera!

I just have a quick question. I've noticed that when I shoot pictures the body of the GF1 heats up quite a bit. Is this normal?

The camera works fine and I've taken out the battery and that's not hot at all. I'm thinking it may be because I shoot dozens of images each time I turn it on, but still it's a bit disconcerting.

Thanks!

2. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Never noticed an issue with mine, how many images are you talking about?

3. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Mine's cool as a cucumber!

Never heated up. took it with me to South of France on holiday this September, the temperature was always above 30c and it did not get hot. Is the battery an original one? Some third party cheapo batteries have been known to overheat!

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Never noticed it on mine

5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    No Issue

I have not experienced any issues with mine either.

As suggested by one of the others, check the battery and make sure it is a not a "clone".

6. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    Mine is not heating. And as you're saying battery is cold, thats a most likely body quality issue. Sorry.

7. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    Never had an issue with heat on the GF1.

8. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Mine almost as cool as I am:cool:

9. Never noticed any heat build up. Any chance it's around the battery compartment and you are using a 3rd party battery?

10. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Same here, no issues. I sometimes shoot in excess of 300 images and its normal temperature is always apparent.

11. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    i've had my GF1 for over a year, and it has been running cool, no heat build-up at all.

--Warren

12. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

must be in Bulb mode. jks

13. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Are you leaving the flux capacitor on:confused: It could be that.

14. jayh

jayh New to Mu-43

Nov 11, 2011
    Thanks for all the responses! :)

I am using an original battery so it's not an issue with third party batteries... I suppose I'll give the local Panasonic office a call as it's still under warranty.

15. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Are you the original owner? as Panasonic will only honor warranty to the original purchaser, IIRC.

16. jayh

jayh New to Mu-43

Nov 11, 2011
    No. But I bought it off the original owner 'as new' (they'd only recently purchased it from a local retailer and I have their receipt).

I just read the warranty card and it does say it only 'extends to the original purchaser'. I'll try to contact Panasonic first (I'll do that on Monday) and see what they say. Else I'll get in touch with the original purchaser.

17. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Yes, I've had this problem with mine. I have two true Panasonic branded batteries, not third party. I noticed recently that the camera gets extremely warm whenver one battery is used. The other battery works fine and the camera runs cool. Both batteries hold a charge and seem to work fine otherwise, but I only have the overheating problem with the one. Needless to say, I won't use that one anymore. I'd try a different battery and see if the overheating problem persists.

18. jayh

jayh New to Mu-43

Nov 11, 2011
    Hi JudyM,

That's quite interesting. Unfortunately I dont have a spare battery to try... and stores here in Australia charge $199 for a new new (I was actually looking for a spare earlier in the week)! Maybe I'll buy one from overseas to test.

I was also thinking I might as well also try a different SD card while I'm at it.

19. keith1200rs

keith1200rs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    How warm is warm? When playing with a new camera switched on for an extended person the camera will warm up a little. It is inevitable - the CCD, LCD and backlight all consume a lot of power and almost all that power goes in heat.

Keith

20. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    In my case, warm is disconcertingly warm to the touch. The camera feels noticeably warm, not just warm from being held. It even feels warm when shooting outside in the cold. I've had my Gf1 for a year and a half, so I know what's normal for it, and this is not normal.

The problem began suddenly over the summer while on vacation. At first, I thought it was warm from carrying it in the sun, but then it felt unusually warm when shooting indoors as well. I agree with what you say about current draw and originally suspected that as a possible reason. I had just purchased the 14-45mm, so I thought it might be related to the extra current needed to run the image stabilization and autofocus. It continues to do this with manual focus lenses, however. I had it outside last week shooting the International Space Station flying over. I was using a CZ 28mm f2.8 Distagon and the camera got warm in 50 degree temps with a manual focus lens.

I'm attributing the problem to the battery, because the camera only heats up when one battery is used. It did not do this with either battery before vacation, and it does not do this when the other battery is inserted. That's not to say someone else's camera might be experiencing a different problem, this is just what I'm seeing with mine. I think I've narrowed things down enough at this point to try replacing the questionable battery. If the problem continues after that, then it's beyond me and I'll have the camera serviced.