1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF1 or GF2 as a 2nd unit

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by okinana, Oct 22, 2011.

1. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I am considering buying a 2nd camera. I already have the E-P3. I am just toying around the idea of getting a 2nd one. What are the pros and cons of each? As per snapsport.com, the GF2 wins by a wide margin.

Panasonic DMC-GF1 vs DMC-GF2

But the prices of used GF1's are so much higher as compared to used GF2's. What's the reason behind this?

What's your opinion? Which one is a better camera?

2. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    The GF2 doesn't have proper controls compared to GF1.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I was also toying with the idea earlier this morning of getting the G3 (as backup to my E-P3) that's on sale locally, but then the following thoughts quashed the idea of getting a Panasonic body, at least for now:

Need for different batteries
    Need to master different set of menus
    Need to master different controls
    Need to adjust shooting style for lack of in-body image stabilization
    Need to get different accessories (e.g., speedlite, remote shutter release)
    Need to spend money on lenses

I may still spring for an E-PL2/E-PL3/E-PM1 as a backup when prices come down substantially.

• Like Like x 1
  4. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    TimAllen, thank you for pointing that out. I am guessing it's the dial on top that makes the difference. Any other advantage of the GF1?

Canonista, thank you for pointing those issues out. Now I am beginning to have 2nd thoughts about getting a Panny for my 2nd unit.

5. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Canonista, I think the lenses won't be an issue because Oly and Panny share the same mount. The lack of IBIS in the Panny would be compensated for by the OIS in the Panny lenses (but obviously not for Oly or adapted lenses). All the others are valid arguments. I still think it would be a good investment to get a Panny GF1 because of the price and it's cult-like following. I can always sell it in the future or keep it as a museum piece.

6. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    Does the dial on the top of the GF1 /really/ make that much difference? How often is one supposed to change modes?

Is it mostly that it looks cool/retro?

An honest question from a happy GF2 user that uses manual or aperture priority most of the time, so rarely changes modes (and even when I do, it's only a couple of button presses).

:)

• Like Like x 3
  7. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Agreed that it depends on the lenses that you have or intend to buy. I have the Oly 45mm that lacks the OIS, so that is what I was thinking in writing that. If you have the Oly 14-42 it, you may also wish you had IBIS on the tele end as well.

The other potential issue for you (not so much if one were getting the G3) to consider is the inability to share the EVF between the two cameras. I held off buying an EVF, but after a day spent in harsh daylight, I realized it was an essential accessory at times.

A lot of pros will get identical bodies because they don't want anything to get in the way of their work. Although I am just a hobbyist, I have two DSLR bodies (Canon 5D and 40D) that are similar enough in function and accessories to be able to appreciate this concept.

Finally, on your point about the GF1 being a classic, I regret not buying it when they were selling at a discount during their phase-out. That being said, I don't think any camera equipment (short of the Leica or some of the hand-made larger format cameras) are a good bet as investments. Keep in mind that digital cameras are essentially mobile computers with lenses, and like with anything electronic, it is not going to last as long as the all-manual cameras of yesteryear.

• Like Like x 1
  8. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    MrJoshua, how are you liking your GF2?

9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I have the GF1 and then bought the Ep2 and EPL2. Well I for sure am going to keep the GF1 because it's a very special camera for me. Nice feeling in hands, all the buttons and dials where they should be etc. I'm not an enthusiastic about touch-screens so for me it's not a miss. I already owned a G2 and never used the touch screen because I'm an old fashioned shooter.

But what I can say is the GF1 is a great little camera.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    I love it, enough for me to sell my DSLR.

I have the 14mm prime, a 14-42mm and a 35mm f1.7 CCTV lens for quirky video, but I pretty much always use the 14.

That being said, I am currently saving for an Olympus 45mm f1.8 for portrait use too.

Anyway, back to the camera - it does pretty much everything I want from a camera. Once I figured out the menu system and customised the settings to suit me, I found it very easy and intuitive to use. I only really use the touch screen to position the focus/meter spot.

I got a used Live Viewfinder for a good price, which enables me to use it like a "proper" camera, and I got the adhesive leather-look wrap for it to help with the grip.

It feels very well made too.

Cheers

Josh

• Like Like x 1
  11. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks Elandel and Josh.

I am choosing between a used GF 1 + 14-45mm for $429.95 or a used GF 2 + 14mm for $367. I just want a good-quality, relatively easy-to-use, reasonably-priced, 2nd camera. I like both the 14-45mm and the 14mm lenses. I have the Oly 14-42 and the Panny 20 plus several legacy glass. In your experience, is there a huge difference between the Panny 14-45mm vs the Oly 14-42mm?

12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I have no personal experience with the 14-45 lens, but if I could get one for cheap I would use it instead of the classic 14-42 because everyone says that it is a little better than the 14-42. Obviously it may be, as usuall, that in real life you can't see any difference if your not pixel-peeping.
    In any case the kit lens is not bad at all and is one of the best kit lens in the market I think.

• Like Like x 1
  13. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    If you are going to buy, which one would you get?

GF1 + 14-45mm for $429.95 or GF2 + 14mm for $367?

14. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    I'd get the GF2 + 14mm.

• Like Like x 1
  15. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Tough choice. My suggestion is to hold them both and see which feels better. Certainly the GF2 + 14mm looks like a good price. When I bought my GF1 I essentially got it because of the Gf1 + 20mm combo at the price of the only 20mm. So it was as if I bought the 20mm with a body attached to it. When I got it - white - I would have never thought that I would love it so much: well it happened. You know it's really a very personal thing. For me form factor and aesthetics are important so if I don't like the look of something I won't buy it unlees it's essential to me. And also then I'll use it rarely.

Down to price only then I'll say get the GF2 + 14mm. But if you like GF1 then get it; you can buy the 14mm later if you want it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. madvette

madvette Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 2, 2011
    El Monte, CA
    I actually have two gf2's for back up cameras to my DSLR, one with a 14mm and the other with the 20mm, love it.

You should be able to find a Gf2 with the 14mm new around 340-350$ no problem.

• Like Like x 1
  17. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    1 votes for the GF2 + 14mm combo :smile:

1 votes for the GF1 + 14-45 combo :frown:

Keep the votes coming folks. Maybe after a total of 11 or 13 votes, I will decide. :thumbup:

Elandel clarified his vote, and it is in favor of the GF1 combo.

18. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Are you serious? Can you PM me where I can find such a deal? Thanks.

19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I vote for the GF1 + 14-45:smile:

20. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I should also like to know where you can find such a deal. Thanks