1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF1 or EPL2?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by nrowensby, Jan 30, 2012.

1. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    Why do the Panasonic's seem to hold better value in the used market?

What is the going rate of a used GF1?

2. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    Don't know too much about other Panasonic models ( high end compacts are very highly regarded) but the GF1 has/had something of a cult following, so will command higher second hand prices (usually).
    To get an idea of the going rate for a GF1, try ebay (don't be fooled though, ebay sale prices aren't always what they seem!!!!)
    Bottom line, price is set by what someone thinks it's worth, or is willing to sell for, plus here in the UK this model is/was back on the shelves at a reasonable price, so might just affect S/H prices.

For what it's worth, I will not be getting rid of mine for some time yet......
    read into that what you will!

3. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Seems to be in the $250-300 range. I paid $265 for mine in December.

4. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    How does the GF1 compare to the EPL2?

5. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    To me even E-PL1 is better than GF1 in every aspect maybe except AF speed, build quality and LCD, GF1 has wheel, E-PL1 has not. Handling is different, GF has no proper grip, but I'm used to both. E-PL2 got better build quality and LCD, so I'd say it is better than GF-1 in every aspect except AF maybe. My personal opinion though. But GF1 defenitely looks and feels more solid and serious than E-PLs.

6. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    So... basically, The GF1 has faster AF & better controls (ie: wheel), while the EPL2 has image-stabilization?

7. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    Also better overall IQ especially in jpeg, better AWB and color rendering, better customization capabilities. You can also use spot AF in E-PL1 which works better. I managed to get comparable results with toddler which is most difficult target for AF with both E-PL1 and GF1, but multi-zone/face detect AF is better on GF1.

For now I am keeping E-PL1 but replaced the GF1 with G3. Again, E-PL2 is the same E-PL1, but just done right.

8. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    How slow is AF on either? I only have experiance with stand P&S and DSLR -- Which are a huge difference in AF speed... With AF, are these camera's closer to P&S speed or DSLR speed?

9. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    GF1 has better build quality and slightly better AF speed (especially in low light). The EPL2 has image stabilization and better JPEGs.

I'd go with the EPL2, especially because it's also cheaper.

10. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    I have a trade offer on the table for a GF1, was debating on taking it or not....... Was trying to see how the two compared...

11. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    Regarding AF speed it depends which P&S (and DSLR also) you are comparing to. Both are faster than say Pentax K100D. But some old P&S I have used (Fuji and Minolta) were pretty fast too if not faster. Both are fast in good light, could hunt in low light.

GF1 is a good cam, will be no regrets especially if price is right. But for the same price I'd chose E-PL2.

• Like Like x 1
  12. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    It all depends...

It depends on which P&S you are comparing to; some of the faster ones approach M4/3, and some of the slower DSLRs approach M4/3. WHat are you planning to shoot?

In good lighting, the fastest AF M4/3 bodies - like the PM1 or G3 - are very similar to DSLRs. As the lighting gets dimmer, the contrast diminishes, and the contrast-detection AF that M4/3 and other mirrorless cams use gets more and more of a workout and can provide of a P&S exerience :wink:.

Some lenses are slower to AF than others - the laggard (which is superb in all other respects) is the 20/1.7. The 14/2.5, 17/2.8, 45/1.8, and second-gen kit lenses are all much faster.

The bodies which do not have an AF-assist light will provide you with more frustration in low-light indoor shots than the bodies which have this feature.

I recently moved from an E-PL1 to an E-PM1, and the change in AF is dramatic; I now feel that the AF is in the neighborhood of slower DSLRs.

I suspect that the next generation of bodies (or the one after) will have adequate AF for almost any conditions.

• Like Like x 1
  13. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    Which bodies have AF assist lights?

14. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    GF1 does have, E-PL1 & 2 do not, but E-PM1 does

But in conditions where is a gain from AF assist light picture output from GF1 is much worse than from E-PL1 (both because IBIS and noise). Tough decision, I know )))

• Like Like x 1
  15. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    Well... It looks like the GF1 is going to be my intro to :43:

I have a GF1, LVF1 & 20/1.7 on the way... If I decide to go the Olympus way, I should be able to sell the GF1 for around the same I'll be able to pick up an E-PL2... (hopefully)

16. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Ah yes, swayed towards the GF1! Hope you enjoy it. Make sure to check all the threads regarding not only your GF1 but also your 20/1.7. It's been quite a pleasure for me for the past while.

17. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    Not really swayed... I'm still leaning towards the Olympus, but the trade deal was too good to pass up on the GF1, haha... I'll try it for a while until I decide whether or not I really want IS

18. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Nick, if you're interested in improving the color rendering of the GF1's JPEGs, there are threads on this forum from last year that have some good recipes. Probably not of interest if you're going to do primarily RAW, but it's nice to have good-looking JPEGs available if post-processing isn't convenient.

• Like Like x 2