GF1 or EPL2 which to take to Italy?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by LisaO, Apr 21, 2011.

1. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Please help me choose.

I have both the Panasonic GF1 and Olympus EPL2 I often will carry them both but next week I'm off to Italy for a photography workshop followed by travel on my own and I will only take one M 4/3 camera.

I will be bringing the 20 1.7 Panasonic, 40-150 Olympus and Lensbaby Tilt Transformer along with it as well as an EVF. I will be taking a 5DMKII and several lenses as well as a Fujifilm X100 and probably a Olympus X-Z1.

I like the EVF on the Oly, I like the Panny controls a bit more. They seem about the same size and weight. The chargers are similar size too.

Any good arguments for or against either one?

Thanks for your help.

2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Where in Italy are you heading? A tight city like Venice, bustling cities like Milan and Rome, or more peaceful cities like Florence and Naples? Each king of lens themselves to something different. I'll be in Milan, Venice, Ravenna, and Bari in a little over a month and am taking my full GF1 kit (but I have divested myself of all other system gear).

I guess the next question is what you intend to do with the GF1/E-PL2 as you are toting a lot of other camera gear. The X100 I take is for street photography, the XZ-1 for a pocketable camera, so where do these overlap with the 5DII and the GF1/E-PL2?

Do you need four cameras? You only have two eyes/two hands... :tongue:

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    x2

Personally, I would be leaving the 5DII and all the giant lenses to go with it at home instead of lugging all that weight around ... especially if you will be traveling between cities while there. Yes, I read that you're going to a photography workshop. Unless it's sponsored by Canon and you're getting in free as a 5DII owner, I don't see why you would need it.

As a mostly travel photographer myself, of your list, I would ONLY take the GF1 and the XZ1, be light and fast and get to see more places more comfortably. I wouldn't take the 5DII because of the size/weight, and I wouldn't take the X100 because of the lack of flexibility of the fixed lens. If you felt you needed another body for backup, I would add the EPL2 so you're not carrying a whole 'nother set of lenses. If you like to do more street photography, and don't think fixed focal length is a limitation in travel photography, then I would take the X100 instead of the XZ1.

The other thing to consider is what happens if your luggage is lost or stolen. Do you really want to lose all your cameras in one "event"?

Where in Italy? Mostly indoor or outdoor shooting?

I noticed in your lens selection a lack of true wide angle ...

4. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    My photography workshop is in Venice, the workshops 7 days but I will be there for 10 days. After which I will be traveling to Florence, Siena, Cinque Terre and Rome, total travel time is 3 weeks.

I have a system worked out of transporting my camera gear in a rolling bag (Think Tank Airport Take Off) but once I arrive I only carry a small amount of gear at a time in smaller bags. I almost always shoot with two cameras, a wide and tele most often, mix it up with a lensbaby at times. Also smaller cameras for places they don't "allow" photography.

I will be walking a lot from pre dawn until after dark. Most times I will take the 5D but when I want to be more agile or stealth or am tired I'll go M4/3. Also I'll use the 40-150 to capture architectural details that I find interesting but don't need a 21MP 5DII file of.

5. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I would take E-PL2. Its built-in stabilizer will be helpful for Oly 40-150mm lens. Also it takes the same EVF as Olympus XZ-1. I would leave Fujifilm X100 and pretty much everything else at home - Oly E-PL2 with 20mm pancake can do everything Fuji X100 can.

6. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    NO chance of leaving the 5DMK II at home I am going FOR PHOTOGRAPHY!

7. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I didn't go into my lens selection for the 5D but it's quite wide angle. I may bring the 9-18 but not sure, it may be the last thing to go in the bag. I have a rider on my camera gear if all is stolen it will be replaced. I'm not worried about that. I'm not changing my mind on anything else, just which to bring EPL2 or GF1.

8. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    With the 5D and X100, what else do you really need? Since you are unsure, just leave the m4/3 cameras at home. 10 days is too short and just stick with the stuff you use.

9. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I've been using M4/3 for over a year. I do use it often. Just wondering which Panny or Oly.

10. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I would go with the Oly just for the IS and I like Olympus' colors better.

11. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    If I left the M4/3 cameras at home I'd have nothing to report back here.:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    With a little cropping to the aspect ratio, who would know? :wink: Not that much difference between a m4/3 and 35mm digital format.

13. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    I'd say, the E-PL2 for IS and jpeg colors. If it is like its older pl1 sibling, it works beautifully with your 20/1.7.
    In this season, light in Venice and Florence is quite harsh at times, I found a polarizer for my 20/1.7 handy for mydday operation.

Enjoy the place and take your time. PM if you'd like any local info.

14. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    I say bring the epl2.

Better ISO performance for those after dawn shots.

IBIS for the 40-150

Same vf2 as the xz1

You get 'olympus colors' aswell

Cheers! Happy trip to you Lisa :)

15. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    Both: among all the stuff you're bringing, a second m4/3 body isn't going to make any difference... And Let's sign a petition: a universal m4/3 charger...

16. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    EPL2. Simply because it offers IBIS for the long lens.

So you have your 5D for the workshop and anything else you deem appropriate.

Then, when you want to go light, sightseeing or street-shooting, the X100 and EPL1 are perfect.

Unlike some others I would not even dream of leaving the X100 behind.

Enjoy.

17. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Neither would I if I could afford one such beauty... :rofl:

18. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    When I went to India last time, while waiting at the baggage carousel, I was talking to some people, and found out they were there to do a wedding. They still had over a day of travel via train, bus, and car to get from the airport to the wedding site. When I saw all their rolling bags, I immediately felt very lucky to have m43 and to be able to carry almost as much gear (per person, anyways) in a carry-on as they had in giant checked bags.

Personally, I would trade much easier and more enjoyable travel over a slight image quality improvement any day, but that's me.

Please don't be "that guy" - you just expand the number of places that don't "allow" photography. It was absolutely amazing the number of people taking pictures inside the tomb of the Taj Mahal ... and then the security guys seeing the flash and coming and making them delete the pictures ...

19. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I promise I won't be "the guy" using a flash in the Taj Mahal or any other attraction where it's not permitted. I almost never use an on camera flash. But some rules about not taking photos are dumb and everyone is ignoring it anyway. At least I want to be stealth about it.

20. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I agree with TC. You are a guest in those places. To ignore a "host's" request does not reflect well on the guest and gives photography and photographers a bad name. And just because another guest behaves badly, does not really entitle you to ignore the wishes of the folks who run the location.