GF1 not accepting 64GB SDXC Memory Cards?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by shiaokun, May 24, 2012.

1. shiaokun

shiaokun Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 4, 2011
  2. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Hmm, looks like you're up to date on the firmware. Will the card not format in the camera? Any error messages at all?
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I don't believe that the GF1 supports SDXC cards. Neither do the G1 or GH1 or the E-P1, E-P2, E-PL1 or E-PL2.

Sent from my Android phone using Mu-43 App
  4. shiaokun

shiaokun Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 4, 2011
    don't have the camera with me but the message goes something like "Memory Card Parameter Error" and as i mentioned the card works fine with the LX5.

this UNOFFICIAL report says GF1 will support SDXC:
    Panasonic Introduces New 64 GB* and 48 GB* SDXC Memory Cards, Available Globally... -- LAS VEGAS, Jan. 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --

i guess another case you can not trust everything on the internet? :confused: anyway, i was just curious if other GF1 users here have successfully used SDXC cards...if you do, let me know what i missed, or i'll just stick with SDHC cards with my GF1. :wink:
  5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I wouldn't expect the GF1 to support SDXC. The camera is too old.
  6. parka

parka Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    The camera manual will say what card it supports.
  7. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

SD / SDHC only

DMC-GF1 only supports up through SDHC (32 GB max). Look at the cover of the owners manual and you'll see the SDHC logo, but not SDXC.

In case you don't have the owners manual, here's the quick link to the download page.
    Panasonic Parts & Accessories
  8. shiaokun

shiaokun Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 4, 2011
    Thanks for the link, Wasabi Bob.

I think LX5 is only a year "younger" than GF1 (2010 vs. 2009). Guess backward compatibility is not a priority. I'll just keep the SDXC cards for the LX5.
  9. shiaokun

shiaokun Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 4, 2011
  10. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    64GB cards?? I can't imagine using one; too much content at risk of a card failure. 8 GB is my preference, although lately I've acquired some 16 GB ones.

I guess if I were doing a lot of high-definition video, or using a still camera with 36 MP images....maybe.

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Thoughts? :2thumbs: Thanks for going first. I always hesitate to respond to threads like this. :) Even with 16mp cameras I won't shoot with cards >8GB for exactly the reason you mentioned, but also physical loss. For the GF1, I use both 4GB and 8GB cards and find the 4GB cards work fine. Changing cards periodically is a benefit, not a drawback.
  12. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I've read warnings in a few discussions that SDXC cards should only be formatted in devices known to support SDXC. That formatting a 64GB SDXC card in a device that doesn't support that standard could result in the card being permanently "set" to a lower capacity.

Doesn't affect me at this point, the 64GB SDXC media is kind of priced out of my budget range. I do good to afford SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB 95MB/s media.