GF1 monitor help

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Rawfa, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Rawfa

Rawfa Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Hi,

I just got my GF1 and as I'm testing it I cannot seem to find a way for the monitor/lcd to display the changes I make on iso, shutter, aperture. I can dial up or down any of these settings but the image on the monitor/lcd doesn't get any darker/lighter. Of course when I take the picture the changes are reflected there, but I want to be able to see them as I change the settings. I was checking out the manual but I didn't see anything there.

2. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    The image you see on the monitor won't reflect changes you make to iso, shutter speed, etc, if it did then you would find that for some settings the image would be too dark to see. This has advantages when using legacy lenses as when you manually stop them down the image automatically brightens for the same reason. Again if you use the depth of field preview the image will stay bright when the lens stops down, unlike using such a preview with an slr where the image darkened and could negate the benefit of being able to preview the depth of field because you had difficulty in seeing the image.

Barrie

3. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    As mentioned above, you can somewhat see your changes in action, but only if you switch into DoF preview. On your GF1, press the Trash/DoF button. this will close the aperture down to whatever you've set it too. If you're in A or M, you can keep adjusting your aperture and it should display accordingly, same with S and shutter speed if you press the Display button as well. The only think you can't quite preview as live is ISO. Making an ISO change will shut off DoF preview, but you can turn it back on and see the difference.

4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    The brightness doesn't change when changing shutter speed/ISO/aperture on my G1, but exposure correction is reflected by a darker or brighter picture. For me that's quite logical, I've never objected to this. Indeed, I like it that the display remains bright even if I check DOF by closing the diaphragm, much more comfortable than in an optical viewfinder!

5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Sorry to necro-post here, but I was going to ask exactly what Rawfa asked and did the right thing by searching for existing threads to avoid asking a repeat question.

I really wish that the GF1 made it a little easier to turn these effects on and off (as defaults, I mean.) For me, coming from my G12, where everything (aperture/shutter speed/ISO/WB) is previewed on the screen, I would prefer that to be the default. It lets you see real time (well, as close as the sensor/processor/LCD allow) what your image will basically look like instead of guessing (I know, I know, old school photographers will say that they "know" not "guess" from years of choosing film speed and setting shutter speed without preview.) To get the same effect now in M mode, I have to set the ISO without seeing its effect, press the preview/trash button (with preview lock turned on), then press the display button to get the shutter speed effect. Only then can I see adjustments to the aperture and shutter speed as I make them. However, if I find that I'm not getting sufficient light (would force a wider aperture or slower shutter speed than I want), I have to press the ISO button, adjust it up (again, without seeing the effect), then repeat the two button process to get back to previewing everything. Not the easiest process. I understand the desire to turn off the shutter speed effect for depth of field preview, but I would prefer that the default be that the effect is on.

Edit: ugh, and as soon as you focus (manual or auto), it's back to off for the preview.

Also, I find it silly that it say "SHTR SPEED EFFECT OFF [DISPLAY]" in great big letters when the shutter speed effect preview is, in fact, on. Tell me that the shutter speed effect is on when it's on, then either let me look up in the manual how to turn it off or put something like "[DISPLAY] FOR OFF" instead. Not a big deal, as I know what it means, but it's just odd.

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Found this out the hard way two nights ago trying to take pictures of the moon. Since the display was so bright, I thought I had to turn the exposure way down ... ended up with just a black frame ...