1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF1 market value

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by maflynn, May 3, 2013.

1. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    Do yo guys think its a good idea to get a backup camera, and if so worth spending the $$ to get a second M43?

Here's my situation I'm going on vacation next week - woohoo. I own a Oly OMD EM-5 - love the camera its great. Back in the day I owned a Nikon DLSR which failed on me while on vacation in Aruba. Since then I've included a cheap-ish point and shoot, just in case something similar happens to my main camera.

That back up sits mostly unused, though my kids use it from time to time.

Any ways cutting to the chase, I see a used GF1 body being offered for 150 in another forum, I'm not sure if that's a good price for a discontinued used camera. A quick check on eBay seems to indicate its not a bad price but I can't be sure.

tl;dr
    Is it a good idea for a second M43 and is 150 good for a used GF1 body?

2. Johnny_Alucard

Johnny_Alucard Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 28, 2013
    I use 2 bodies; OM-D and E-P3. I shoot mostly with primes, so 2 small bodies works well for me - wide lens on 1, long on the other.

3. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    I like using primes myself but since this trip will be in Disney, I'll include my kit lens as its much easier to keep that bad boy on

4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I picked up an E-P1 for $100, it is nice having a second body that I don't have to worry about messing up. :) I usually keep it on my bag at work, for those unexpected photo opportunities.

A GF is a good second body, especially if you shoot with an Olympus as your primary camera. If you shop around you should be able to get one for around $100 though.

You might also want to consider a GF2 -- they seem to be about the same in price, and the GF2 has higher resolution video, I believe. But if you're into external manual controls, the GF1 has the edge there.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    150 is respectable and the GF1 is quite competent, although it lacks some of the features of the more recent models. OTOH, if you're used to the Olympus way of doing things (E-M5 etc.) an E-PL2 or E-PM1 can be had for roughly the same price. Controls are perhaps not as nice as on the GF1, but the cameras have advantages too (image stabilization, fast AF, etc.) and may be easier to adjust to (menus, Olympus JPEGs, SCP, etc.).

6. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
  7. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    Ahh - I'm found out :eek:

8. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    haha, not so much "found out" but rather we both happen to frequent the same two forums with the same usernames. plus a "GF1 value" thread is something i would click on anyway, since i won't have much luck selling mine if i'm over-priced for the market.