GF1 Manual Mode

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bubbaj, May 24, 2011.

1. bubbaj

bubbaj Mu-43 Rookie

May 24, 2011
    Hello, im new here and also to photography. I just acquired the Panasonic GF1 with the 20mm 1.7 pancake. It is quite the camera, my first serious camera. My only other digital was a fuji point and shoot which I never really learned to use.

I bought the book Understanding Exposure, 3rd edition. How to shoot with any camera. If you haven't checked it out, do, its well worth it.

I've been fooling around with the camera for a while now but i can't figure out how to adjust the aperture while in manual mode. The shutter speed i can adjust but to adjust aperture i need to switch the dial to aperture priority then go back to manual mode. there has to be another way, i just have not found it.

any tips?

2. Click wheel allows you to either change aperture or shutter speed. Toggle between the two by depressing the click wheel.
  3. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Just click the wheel you were adjusting shutter speed with and you can adjust the aperture :smile:

edit: noelh was quicker ;)
  4. bubbaj

bubbaj Mu-43 Rookie

May 24, 2011
    Oh snap! thanks a lot! you dont know how long ive been trying to figure this out, i feel like an idiot but i am ok with that. thanks for the replies!

you guys sure are quick lol
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    lol. The Panasonic 2-in-1 dial is sort of unique and I don't think any other brand uses this system, so don't feel bad. With most other systems you press the Exposure Compensation button to activate the second function (which is actually Exposure Compensation when in one of the priority modes), provided the camera doesn't have two dials. The new Olympus E-PL2 has a similar system, since the EC button is on the dial itself it ends up working the same way the Panasonic dial does.
  6. aznmochamike

aznmochamike Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2011
    LOL... ur not the only one... i had an issue with that for the longest time too =)
  7. dfroelich

dfroelich Mu-43 Regular

Nov 15, 2010
    Yup. When my camera was new the click was pretty hard to press, so I had it in my mind that was the key, but didn't know how hard to press to make it happen.