1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF1 making a comeback

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Howi, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    For those in the UK, the GF1 seems to be making a comeback for Christmas, I spotted it in a local well known high street photo shop.
    Fitted with the 14-42mm lens for £299.
    For a short while, the price rocketed to ridiculous levels, then dissapeared as stocks ran out.
    There may be newer models out there but the GF1 is still a cracker, without having to spend a fortune.
    I would also like to bet, most would be hard pressed to tell the difference in picture quality..........
    Most of the 'supposed' improvements have (in my opinion) been retrograde anyway.
    The GX1 looks to be a reasonable upgrade, but I am still waiting for an L1 lookalike in m43 format to appear.

2. yourguitarhero

yourguitarhero Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Which shop?

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's cool. I think a lot of people would be happy to see they have a choice between an old but cheap GF-1 or a new but expensive GX-1. :)

4. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    Jacbos were selling them new. I had a look at one and asked about it, apparently they have more stock because the models were released so quickly (GF2, GF3 etc).

The GX1 still has cleaner output at the higher ISO, it's build quality is a step up and the touch screen is useful. The EVF is also substantially better. If those aren't of concern then it's not a bad buy, buy you can get the GX1 (body only) for an extra £150 and personally I think it's worth that. I have no need for the kit lens though..

5. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    Jacobs

Anthonys - GX1 body only @ £459, in my opinion is irrelevant, as, without a lens you can't do anything with it, add a lens and you are nearer £600.
    While the GX1 is slightly more advanced, the GF1 is still no slouch and can still give many other (newer) cameras a run for their money.
    Not everyone can afford £600+ on a camera.
    If you don't do a great deal of shooting @ high ISO, you would be hard pushed to tell the difference.
    I am quite happy to use mine at 800, and with decent software push to 1200 and 1600, if need be.
    Bottom line is, there is still a lot of life in the GF1 yet.
    3 months from now the GX1 will be old hat (if you believe the manufacturers) in terms of what's new on the shelves.
    It's still 80% photographer 20% equipment, yet 80% of photographers still think it is better put the effort into the 20% by having to have the latest and greatest, than put the effort into getting the best out of what you have. But then that is no different to many other hobbies. :smile:

6. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    The Panasonic store in Bournemouth are still selling them.
    £399 for the body and £449 with the 20mm F1/7 lens. This is what I'm getting for christmas:biggrin:.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm sure there are lots of people, especially those on this forum, who already have Micro Four-Thirds lenses (or even an adapter for other lenses) and don't need a slow kit zoom. :)

I wish they sold the PEN cameras body-only too... :frown: I mean, at least the EP-3!

8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I'm sure this will happen. And as soon as the price drops to what the E-P2 is selling for now, I'm scooping one up!:wink:

9. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    Yup, but was talking about my situation. I already have 5 µ4/3s lenses including the kit 14-42mm so don't want another one. You can get the GX1 body for £449 now, so about £150 more for the features I value is worth it to me. However if you didn't have the 20mm 1.7 it's approaching £250 cheaper to get the GF1 bundle and I think that is more appealing for an existing µ4/3 user.

I think the GX1 is already out of date -- it's still using a 3 year old screen, even if it has added an touch interface now.

10. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
  11. A shop near me still has a lone GF1 + 14-45 sitting on the shelf in amongst all the newer GFs, Gs, and GHs. When I asked about the price a while back they checked the computer and said it was $899. I raised an eyebrow. She shrugged. I don't think they've sold it yet...

12. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    "Don't call it a comeback
    it's been here for years
    Rockin it's peers.........":cool:

:biggrin: