GF1 IR conversion

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Edmunds, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    So, I have won a used GF1 from ebay. After selling the lens, it will cost me $90.

Time for DIY IR conversion! But where to get the filter to place in front of the sensor? I'm looking for a 715nm filter.

Any ideas where I could get one, or if I need it cut, what dimensions it needs to be?

2. pisanoal

pisanoal Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    Try kolari vision. I see they only list it for aps-c and ff sensors, but i know they did a conversion on my G3 a couple years ago so they either have stock/are able to get 4/3 or will be able to tell you dimensions you would have to cut one to, and could sell you an aps-c sized one.

3. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Hey,

thanks, that would do. But seems like a bit of a waste to put a $100 filter in a $90 camera.

I'm really looking for something cheaper I could hack together.

4. pisanoal

pisanoal Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm not sure you are going to get much cheaper unless you bought an r72 external filter and cut it down to fit. Even then you are still looking at around $70 I think. If you are really wanting an IR converted camera, its going to cost you a little bit of money. The other option is to replace your internal hot mirror with clear glass. Then you can choose whatever wavelength you want to shoot in external filters (including normal visible light). Still have to buy those though.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mu-43 mobile app

5. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Well, a 2" x 2" Schott 715nm filter costs $70+VAT here in Europe. If you cut that, it's good enough for 4 conversions. But its 2mm thick. Looking through the internet it appears I need 3mm thickness, or I will have to place a 1mm piece of glass on top of the 2mm IR filter.

These conversion services use 6" x 6" Schott glass, which comes 3mm thick. That costs about $350-$400, (and that's non-wholesale). For m4/3, that's enough for 48 conversions (re-did the math here). So the actual cost of the filter for these conversion services is about $9 + cost of cutting (which is actually not a lot at all if you cut it in one go).

So I'm kind of having a hard time pulling the trigger on a $100 IR filter, I understand the cost isn't a whole lot if you're converting say a 5DMkIII, but its a $90 camera...

6. pisanoal

pisanoal Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    I dont think you want to stack glass like that (the 1mm on top of 2mm). You can get rings forming between the glass layers. I forget what its called but it has a specific name (newton rings maybe?). As i said in an earlier post, if you can find cheaper options, then by all means go for it. Lifepixel.com has similar filters for sale ($180). Not sure why they cost so much for the cut filter, but my point is that is the pricing that is available. The cost of someone converting your camera for you is going to be around $250. You could contact kolari vision and see if they will cut a filter to size for you. They will probably charge you less then the aps-c sized one. I found their customer service to be excellent.

Side note: I'm not sure the point that you are making of putting a $100 filter into a $90 makes any sense. If you were talking about replacing the hot mirror filter due to damage and thus returning it to its original state, i see your point as you could easily buy another one instead. However, you are changing the cameras function. So unless you can find that camera already converted for $90, your objection isnt making any sense to me. Either way makes no difference to me, just trying to point you to some helpful sources.

If you ever do pull the trigger, I think lifepixel has some diy information.

7. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    The prices on sites like lifepixel are ridiculous. $180 for a filter = LOL.

I found a 3mm thick 50mm x 50mm Schott RG715 filter on optical-filters.com for $46. That's the exact thickness that is needed, if you cut that up you could do 4 conversions and it would still be cheaper than the exact same single filter bought on kolari vision.

Unfortunately, shipping from them to my country is prohibitively expensive, more than the actual filter :( So I'll keep on looking.

I was just hoping somebody has some insider info where to get something on the cheap.