GF1 in Dubai

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have recently returned from a trip to Dubai where I took the GF1 + 20/14-45/45-200 lenses with me.

I used the 45-200 for 90% of the images and any doubts I originally had about the performance/IQ of this lens have been well and truly blown away.........it is a superb performer with a very pleasant bokeh.

I do intend to post some of my images here when I have time but if anyone is interested, they can see the images on my blogsite below under - Dubai revisited.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Ian, thank you. I just took a quick look at a few in your blog and will be back for more!

Please tell me the name of that scifi building that reaches into the night sky as though it might go on forever? This must be that famed tower we heard all about right before we heard about Dubai's economic woes - am I right? Astounding photos!!

As I said, I'll be looking through more thoroughly but wanted to thank you now. Looking forward to your picks for mu43.com, too.

bashar

Mu-43 Regular
Great shots, from someone who lives in the city, glad that you were able to capture all the reality here, most westerners come here and shoot the hotels and the fancy building and forget about the people and the workers. BTW< you got away with shooting those women at the beach, its an offense and you could get arrested for doing it!" really impressive work;)

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
East Charleton, near Kingsbridge, south Devon (UK)
Real Name
Barrie
Many thanks for your photos of Dubai, I spent many happy hours on several Friday mornings in 1977 with my Leica M3 in the creek photographing the dhows and ferries, good to see that they are still there, although there were very few high rise buildings in the background in those days.

Barrie

voyager

The 45-200mm is the one lens that I still wish I had. I just can't justify buying it for some reason.

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thank you all for the feedback and I am glad you enjoyed the images.
Bashar, I did check the sign thoroughly before taking photos on the beach and there was nothing to say "no photography" - as well as that, a police patrol car drove past me when I was taking photos and just carried on so I took that as being a sign that it was ok.
I did make sure that if I saw the person being photographed looking unhappy, I would not take the photo and 90% of the time I asked if they were ok for me to take the shot.
It is too easy to spend ages photographing the Mall's, skyscrapers and modern side but the real heart and soul of Dubai is The Creek and the personalities who live and work there.
BB, the single tall building is the Burj Khalifa which is the tallest building in the world - alas, even though my daughter kept calling from work the viewing tower was closed so I opted for night time shots to capture the height and power of it - it is an awe inspiring building!

DennisC

Mu-43 Regular
Really enjoyed your pictures.
Friends were trying to convince us to go to Dubai earlier this month but instead we opted for Miami and Nassau ; wrong decision - boy was it wet and cool:smile:
Your pics only show what we missed!

I really haven't thought highly of the 45-200 lens ( it's useless with action shots ) perhaps I need to use it as you have to get the most out of it.

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Dennis,
I am using the 45-200 with the GF1 and to use it effectively, I personally have to use the EVF with it as trying to zoom/check composition/focus on the LCD is too difficult for me.
The EVF works perfectly allowing me to use this small camera/lens combination a la DSLR at eye level and it woks well and enables me to get involved in the image more easily.
I have not tried any "action" type photos with it yet but grab shots, maximum zoom shots and even tricky lighting shots are not a problem and the lens is a great performer.
If you do get an opportunity to visit Dubai, I would strongly recommend setting aside a day for yourself to take a trip to the Creek - there are great photo opportunities to be had and I have found that chatting to the workers and asking if you can take their picture has never resulted in a refusal - courtesy and respect play a major part in the success of the day.

Latest threads

Top Bottom