1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

GF1 Image Thread

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 14, 2009.

1. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Yes it seems to do a cracking job of keeping IQ. It gives a cheap easy extra to image taking!! Pop it on a 200mm lens and it can get pretty close to stuff!

2. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Hi, new here and enjoying my GF-1, here are a few pics:

P1000829.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1000801.jpg

P1000833.jpg

P1000838.jpg

P1000423.jpg

P1000425a.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like Like x 6
  3. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

Great set Glenn. I particularly like the fourth and fifth ones.

4. eolake

eolake Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    Gorgeous! Well done.
    (Lens was?)

5. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Thank you.
    Nos. 2,5 and 6 were taken with the Lumix 20mm 1.7, the others with the Lumix 14-45

6. flyby

flyby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Day at Park

This is a picture I took at a local park..kids swinging on tree using the GF1 14-45mm kit lens. Feel free to comment..especially tips on how to take a better shot..anything is helpful don't be afraid to critique. Thanks

[​IMG]

7. flyby

flyby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Another Pic from Park

[​IMG]

8. eolake

eolake Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    Not a bad pic of the kids, except they are all in-between action.

A adage says to get better pictures, go closer. But of course these days people are paranoid about strangers photographing their kids!
    So you may wanna work with kids you know, and their parents around.

• Like Like x 2
  9. flyby

flyby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the comments

I actually was there taking pics of them for about 30 min with parent present..she did not seem to mind at all. What kept me from getting closer was a rather steep embankment down to a stream over which the kids were swinging from the opposite side. This was one of the best of the lot. And you're right, I need to get in closer and bring the group into the action.

Thanks for the critique and the info..much appreciated.

10. eolake

eolake Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    If you can't get closer, the 45-200mm zoom lens might help. I like it.

11. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I sure do love the GF1... these made with the wonderful 14-45

MacleayVault3-1.jpg

PaperMillSteam.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  12. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

Those are great. Love your work!

13. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Terrific! Thanks for sharing... This is a very effective style for these subjects.

Cheers

Brian

14. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I like these, too - as I do your others. They all have a very strong and different effect.

It would be interesting to see one or two of the same subjects portrayed in different styles. I don't mean to suggest that you should do this, although you probably have. I think it's fascinating to see how different choices make such different statements.

Too bad we don't all live in the same place - we could make it a project. Or, on second thought, maybe it's better that we don't because there's an awful lot of talent on these threads and some of us might be left crying!:wink:

Thanks for posting your work.

Also wanted to thank everyone else who has posted their shots.:thumbup: ...I just haven't been keeping up with this thread.:redface:

15. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Great images that really demonstrate what the 14-45 is capable of in the right hands. Well presented too.

Thanks for sharing,
    Ian

16. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Leitz 50mm Summicron on GF1 at f2

I received my Novaflex adaptor last week so wanted to try it today - totally flat, overcast lighting - still, just another photographic challenge!

The image below is a quarter of the original image that has then been blown up 50%, I am pleased with the outcome and now want to try it for portraits as I suspect it will be a great 100mm equivalent portrait lens.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. flyby

flyby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    DHart
    SkippedHow do you take a picture like this? Are you using a filter/filters? Did you select one of the modes like: Vibrant, nostalgic, smooth, etc, and/or custom adjust white balance? Or did you adjust the pics in Photoshop after taking?

I'm not asking for your secrets here just the basics . As a beginner, I don't have enough experience to simply look at a pic and know what the shooter did or may have done to get that shot.

If you don't mind your info about the shots would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Great shots! Really like them.

18. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Thanks to you all for appreciating the images!

Ian... very cool look with the Summicron - a 100mm (equiv/) f/2 will make an awesome portrait lens indeed.

flyby... ok, here's what I do... for these images (and much of the time when I'm shooting the GF1) I shoot the GF1 in 7-image (+2/-2) auto exposure bracket. It's so quick and easy to do with this camera! That way I have a nice variety of exposures to choose from for a single exposure or, if I wish to, I can select two or three to blend.

I only shoot in RAW because I feel all images need some form of post work and the best results are from RAW images. I see no point putting a lot of effort into creating images and capturing in JPG.

Next step import into Lightroom (I LOVE this application - highly recommended!!!). There I usually do some tweaks with clarity and vibrance or adjust tonal ranges here or there. With portraits (totally different approach here, no bracketing or blending), I'll usually leave it at that and export to Photoshop for pixel tweaking/retouching and be done.

With the images above and often with landscapes, architecture and such I will select three of the brackets for blending. With the GF1, to get +2 and -2 you need to select the 7-image AEB option. Of those seven I usually just take 0, +2, -2 and export those from LR to Photomatix where I will merge and tonemap. Then to Photoshop for cropping, resizing, and framing. Sometimes I will blend the tonemapped image as a layer on top of the straight (0) image at a reduced opacity to lessen the effect of the tonemapping. That's pretty much it.

I really enjoy doing the post work and using blended bracket exposures allows me to bring an image closer to what my eyes saw at the time of capture. As we all know, the eye sees a far wider dynamic range of light than a single photographic exposure can capture, so with bracketing and blending, we can achieve a look closer to what we saw. Of course sometimes, for "art's sake" we may take an image beyond what our eyes saw and alter reality further by making B&W, or more extreme adjustments to colors, or infrared, etc. It's all good if you're pleased with the result! Image making is such a wonderful, fun, intriguing, creative, exciting endeavor, isn't it!

• Like Like x 4
  19. flyby

flyby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    DHart
    Wow! Thanks so much for the detailed answer greatly appreciate your taking the time. I use lightroom too but haven't gotten to the point where I can blend photos, but I do know about the exposure and have tried -1,0 and +1..I will try your suggestion of -2, +2 and 0. I also use Photoshop Elements 8 and feel ok in that environment.

I want to thank you all for being so forthcoming with info and sharing your experience with me..I really appreciate it and feel I've gotten a great deal from this group in such a short time. I know how to cook extremely well..if there is anything I can help with in that category..well at least I'd be giving something back instead of taking. Got a recipe for Penne a La Vodka that will knock your socks off and it's easy!

Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  20. scoutpro

scoutpro New to Mu-43

Jan 28, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    BBW,

Here are the images again and an extra!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you enjoy!

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.