1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

GF1 Image Thread

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    First portrait of 2010

This is my first portrait of 2010 taken with the 20mm and shot using the square format.

[​IMG]

2. Iansky

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    A few shots from yesterday

Another very cold day by UK standards, the wind chill added to this but we had some colour in the sky for a change so I wanted to grab a few photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. eolake

eolake Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    These are great, Ian. Particularly the square one is an classic composition.

The snow in UK has inspired many, including me. These are GF1 images:

sunstrip.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

snow-stobblehouse-0218.JPG

snow-stobblehouse-0216.JPG

snow-stobblehouse-0196.JPG

4. Iansky

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks

Hi Eolake,

Nice images and I particularly like the shadow scene, it is very graphic and works.

The GF1 is a great machine

This combination works for me as it is small enough to carry the GF1 + 20mm in one coat pocket and the 14-45mm in the other, if I dod not use them - no problem they are safe and unseen - if I see a scene I like they are readily at hand to "do the business".

5. eolake

eolake Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    Yes indeed, I like that.

Some of those above were talken on the way home, walking, from a trip to the dentist, I had brought the GF1 with the 20mm in my thigh pocket.

6. eolake

eolake Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    I blogged that square photo <a href="http://eolake.blogspot.com/2010/01/ian-lloyd-graham-photo.html">here</a>.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Ian, I like the first photograph a lot! What are the animals in the bottom right?

Eolake, great shadows in the last one. Very strong image.

8. Iansky

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Baaaaaaa

Hi Amin,

Thanks and I am glad you like them, the first image really appealed to me and I would like to have got closer but the snow was just too deep.

The animals are sheep that were trying to shelter from the freezing wind.

I am pleased to see a few more people posting to the site and the growing number of members - well done.:2thumbs:

9. eolake

eolake Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    Yeah, the long picture reminds me a bit of one of my old faves: one of Bill Brand's. It's vertical, and the lower third is almost all black. The top third is a very heavy rain cloud. And in between are distant hills, with a couple of small woods on them, with all the trunks they sort of look like giant millipedes.

10. robperks

robperks Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2009
    Ventura, Ca
    Saturday morning at the beach, 14-45 lens, waiting for the tide to go down, grabbed a couple more shots of the new bicycle. And yes, it was a great Christmas this year.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/36302507@N08/4265961933/" title="Rivendell Phil Wood Front Hub by rperks1, on Flickr">
    4265961933_1de5c84905_b.jpg
    "1024" height="768" alt="Rivendell Phil Wood Front Hub" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/36302507@N08/4266707276/" title="RBW Dawn Partol by rperks1, on Flickr">
    4266707276_421d46ce13_b.jpg
    "1024" height="768" alt="RBW Dawn Partol" /></a>

• Like Like x 1
  11. Iansky

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Shutter lag.........what shutter lag!

Just spent a couple of days away with "Er indoors", the weather was very changeable culminating in very wet and windy so thought I would tryand capture the scene with GF1 + 20mm.

Works for me and captured exactly as I wanted it to - no lag at all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:cool: 

• Like Like x 4
  12. eolake

eolake Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    Great stuff, man!!

How much photoshopping 'cha do?

13. flyby

flyby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    New to Forum New to GF1 1st Pics

:dance2:
    Hi! Found this forum through Flickr and joined. Just purchased the GF1 with the 14-45 kit lens. Fell in love with this camera after reading reviews and seeing user images. Have much to learn and need tons more experience...but so far you guys are incredible, your pics amazing! look forward to meeting you and sharing info and pics!

Pic below is one of the 1st taken with new camera GF1

14. Iansky

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks Eolake, curves, levels, contrast, vibrance and USM thats yer lot, don't wnat to spend too long so try and get it right at capture as much as I can.

Welcome Flyby, you have joined a great forum full of friendly people and stick with it, you will as I am, learn a lot from others who have been there and done that and know these micro four thirds beasties completely.

15. eolake

eolake Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    I'm a bit basic, what is vibrance and USM?

A friends says your pics on the blog are labeled Feb instead of Jan.
    (Do you not have a contact link on the blog?)

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    :clap2:

Both of those are terrific, Ian. The timing on the second one and people running makes it extra special :bravo-009:.

Shutter lag certainly isn't an issue with any of the :43: bodies!

17. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Love them both but first spotted them on Iansky's album - where I fell head over heels when I saw them and commented almost ad nauseum, I'm afraid.:biggrin:

18. flyby

flyby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ian
    Thanks for the welcome. I am so looking forward to getting to know people here and learning as much as possible.

Have a question anyone answer please:
    Can the GF1 use Canon lens for digital dslr? And if so what adapter would make it work? I have a Canon 50MM and a Sigma 10-20mm F4-F5.6 with a Canon mount. Wondering whether I can adapt them for use on GF1. Any info appreciated.

19. flyby

flyby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ian Thanks for the welcome. Your pics are great I especially like the winter shots the one above the duck lady is just wonderful..makes me want to leave the warmth of my house and leave a footprint on that road.

20. Iansky

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Vibrance & USM

Hi Eolake,

Sorry for my abbreviations.

If you select Image/adjustments you have an option to adjust the vibrancy of the photo with two sliders, the lower one allows you to enhace the saturation of the colours in the image and the upper one adjusts the vibrancy of those colours making them look more vibrant without looking false.

USM is Unsharp Mask, this can be found through Filters/Unsharp Mask, it usually has a preset of around 160 that you may want to try.

I shoot all my images in RAW so mostly use the Sharpness option in the Adobe Raw Convertor, this I set to 120 - Do not use this and Unsharp mask on the same image though.

I hope that helps a little and the primary adjustments to make should always be levels and then curves trying to achieve an "S" shaped curve.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.