1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF1 iauto shutter speeds

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by unkabin, Feb 18, 2012.

1. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Hi all, I typically use A when shooting, but when I hand my camera to someone, I really, really would most often like to set it to ia, and let it not only choose the exposure, but also focus point, etc., so that they can just compose and shoot. Unfortunately, my camera chooses an unnecessarily slow shutter speed. For example, in room lighting, with the 20mm 1.7 or even with the longer focal length 45 1.8, it will choose something like 1/25 sec, 400 iso. I know there's not a 400 iso limit, because it will, once in a blue moon, dial up to 800 iso, but this when it should go to 1600 (because it's still shooting at 1/30 shutter speed, and this with a 45mm lens). The limit I set in my menu is 1600.

Is this a conscious engineering choice? If so, it seems odd and somewhat frustrating, almost broken. Even for people just sitting around talking, this is too slow. I need at least 1/60--no matter the focal length of the lens, since subject movement is the problem more than camera shake. I understand the engineers hesitating to go high with iso, but they must consider a reasonable minimum shutter speed in order for ia to be useful, especially since this is a setting that will be used mainly by novice users.

Side question: Do the G1 and Gx1 behave similarly in ia?

2. 13Promet

13Promet Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2011
    Milano
    I don't use the iA mode much.
    I've just to shoot some low light pics with the 20/1.7 and the shutter speed choosen by the GX1 was 1/80'' or faster (when possible).
    From this quick test, it seems that the GX1 doesn't suffer the same issue you're posting about.

• Like Like x 1
  3. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Thanks, that's good to know as I think about future upgrades. I still like my GF1 quite a lot. I just wish I could hand it off to people more easily for a snapshot.

4. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Just curious. Is this something that you do frequently? If so, why?

I have a LX3 for those times when I do need to provide a camera to someone; whether they are a fellow pro or otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  5. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Intelligent ISO sets it to 400 most of the time even if you have an upper limit of 1600.

Set it to Auto ISO and it may boost the ISO to get reasonable shutter speeds.

• Like Like x 1
  6. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the comments.

@OdBm: I don't do this often enough for it to be a deal breaker for me with the camera. But I'm the unofficial family photographer at holidays and family gatherings, and I do hand my camera to other family members, partly so that there are at least a few shots with me in them, and partly because people seem to love this camera and they want to take pictures with it, which I think is fun. I really like that ai will detect people-shots, switch to portrait, meter and focus on faces. It makes it pretty fool proof in these situations, but it has this achilles heel, slow shutter speed.

drewbot, I did end up setting one of my custom settings to P, auto iso, and zone metering (or whatever it's called, so that the camera chooses focal and metering point). This does result in slightly higher shutter speeds than ai, as it will more quickly bump up the iso. And it achieves want I want, a quick switch to a "dummy" mode that works well in reasonably low light.

Mainly, I guess I'm just surprised at the programming choice. I would think ai wouldn't risk blur from slow shutters, considering a novice shooter (who would be the shooter likely to use the setting) may not even realize what the problem is.

7. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I have a GF1 as well. I see what you speak of with the iA setting (I rarely use this setting). With my Oly 12/2.0, the typical shutter speed is 40 even in a well-lit room.

What I do in the rare times that I hand my GF1 to another family member when in that circumstance is to place it on P mode, 800 ISO, widest aperture, and lock the exposure. That way all that needs to be done is focus and shoot.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  8. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the confirmation. I've just switched one of my custom settings to something similar. I really only used one of the custom settings anyway, so no real loss for me, but I'm glad to hear that this may have been reworked in future Lumix bodies.