GF1 Hotshoe Seems a Little Tight

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by steve, Feb 4, 2010.

1. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    Alright, it seems alot tight. When I first got my GF1, I tried putting my Canon 430ex flash unit on it, and the flash did not fit on the GF1's hotshoe. I didn't think much of it because I don't expect to use flash on this camera. But yesterday, I tried putting a wireless flash trigger on the GF1 and had to fight to slide it in the hotshoe and fight even more to get it out. Has anyone else had trouble with the size of the GF1 hotshoe?

2. AlanT

AlanT Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    Perth, Scotland
    Interestingly enough, I also have a Canon 430EX, and tried putting it on my newly purchased GF1. It's very tight but I did get it attached (and detached, eventually!) - maybe it'll loosen up a bit over time?

3. kskumar

kskumar Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 4, 2010
    Malaysia
    My GF1 hotshoe is very tight as well. I did some search on the net and this seems to be quite commonplace. Just slide the flash/trigger in and out VERY carefully a couple of times. It will loosen (or the plastic of the flash/trigger gets compacted) and it will be better.

4. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    I carefully used pliers to stretch the hotshoe wings a little bit and now it works alot better. Not perfect, but better.

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Steve,
    The Pen 1 was the same. After I used the VF many times, it became easier. Using a flash, now is not a problem.......takes time to work in....

6. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    same here , difficult to use it, very tight

7. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Same here, attaching a Pocket Wizard is very tight. I wish camera manufactures built these things to spec.

8. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'm actually glad about this. I use the EVF and leave it on all the time and it hasn't budged one iota since I fitted it.

9. ccmsosse

ccmsosse Guest

I am new here - so hello
    I did not have this issue with my GF1 but with my M9
    On the Leica forum they recommended to use a soft lead pencil as a "lubricant" - just food for thought

10. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Yes, I found the same with my SB-600, SB-800 and SB-28. I found that the SB-28 was the tightest, just needs a bit of a wiggle to get them on and off.

11. scon4061

scon4061 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 8, 2010
    Wigan
    I have the same problem. It's not a bit tight but very tight, ridiculously tight. I've broken my Oly VF1 trying to get of off the GF1 hotshoe. It only went half way in but that was enough, it stuck fast.

Not happy, but its my own stupid fault.

• Like Like x 1
  12. speenth

speenth New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2010
    Hi' all, my first post in this interesting forum too.

Pencil 'lead' is electrically-conductive graphite and a natural abrasive. I'd worry about finely powdered graphite finding it's way inside my camera or lenses!

That said, I have the same shoe problem. The GF1 hot shoe appears to be made fractionally too narrow. Once I'd fitted my new EVF it couldn't be removed by hand. I resorted to using a chopstick and hammer to literally bash the EVF back out of the shoe!

Like Steve (see above) I've since cautiously opened the hotshoe rails. All seems well now.