GF1 Histogram

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by juno, Oct 23, 2010.

1. juno

juno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2010
    Sorry if I'm being a bit dim here but could someone tell me how to use the live histogram on the GF1? I can see how to read the one shown in playback mode but am just baffled by the one in live view.

2. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I shoot in aperture priority, normally with legacy lenses, so I would set the aperture on the lens, the camera would set a shutter speed, then I dial in an amount of exposure compensation using the thumbwheel (the rear dial, number 11 of my manual, page 12) until the right hand edge of the live histogram is as far to the right as possible without it being squeezed up to the right hand edge of the box that it is contained in, difficult to describe when you can't draw a picture. The manual for the camera shows correct, under and over exposed histograms on page 60. Hope this helps in some way.

Barrie

3. juno

juno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2010
    Ah I get it now. So with adapted lenses the histogram is more true, as in the same as what is shown in playback mode. But with native lenses it changes to yellow when the exposure isn't correct and displays the graph for the correct exposure, not changing as the aperture is changed on the camera.

Shame. So it's not possible to have the histogram show up in the preview?

4. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    It changes to yellow for adapted lenses as well, it changes colour when under or over exposure is dialed in via the rear dial. The only difference when using native lenses is that a further display is shown for the f stop and speed. Adjustment of the histogram to the right or left by exposure compensation is the same for both native and adapted lenses.

Barrie

5. juno

juno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2010

Thanks Barrie, I think I understand now. I've been using manual mode exclusively up until now as I understand the implications of aperture and shutter speed in relation to the shot I will end up with and the shot I want.

The only change I have seen in the histogram is white at correct exposure, or yellow for over/under exposure. The actual graph never changes in manual mode.

So to have the histogram display what I want it to (an appropriate graph for the current settings) I need to use either aperture or shutter priority and use exposure compensation to alter the non priority parameter. Is that correct?

6. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    The graph should move to the right and become bunched up at the right hand side as you over expose, and to the left as you under expose.

Yes, when you dial in exposure compensation the non priority parameter will alter to make the compensation in exposure.

Barrie

7. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
  8. juno

juno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2010
    Thanks Barrie. Did try googling, probably wan't searching for the right thing.

I have read some articles on that website but not found those two. A good read.

I know what I'm looking for in the histogram regarding correct exposure, it was just confusing me that I couldn't get it to change as I was altering the exposure, and going into play mode to view it there was taking too long.

Thanks for your help.

9. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Pleasure, I hadn't seen the thread Settings for an Accurate Histogram although paradoxically I do set the contrast to minimum, even though i shoot in raw, so always something to learn :smile:.
    Take care and happy photography.

Barrie

10. juno

juno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2010
    Also noticed, that if I use single shot mode the preview displays the channel histograms. Guess I've been using the camera all wrong :D