GF1- help with manual focus?

jpgrahn

New to Mu-43
Hi guys,
I have had my GF1 for about two weeks.
Let me tell you, it's not easy for an old dog to learn new tricks! :smile:
I've been using Nikon gear for 30+ years.
And my eyes ain't young any more. If you know what I mean.

I got myself an adapter for Nikkor-lenses. Will post a couple of pix with some of them to show you.

But I have a question.
After getting the adapter I realized just how big my old lenses are. Even the small ones get a very long "neck" when attached to the camera. I will probably use mainly a 50/1.2 and possible a 35 or 28 like that. I't a lot more akward than I expected.

I also have a 28/3.5 PC lens that I am looking forward to test. That particular lens is so slow already it doesn't make much difference. It's all manual stop down etc.

But the question.
With my Pana 20/1.7 I get an enlarged screen as soon as I touch the manual focus ring. But I can't get that to happen when I use the lens adaptor.

Is there any way to get that effect with other lenses than the 20mm?
Or is it better just to get the extra viewfinder? What is your experience?

Or if it is not possible, how about making that a new feature in the next firmware update?

Thanks,
Johan

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Hi Johan,

yes - the GF1 has had a firmware upgrade, to allow you to trigger MF assist zoom by pressing in the thumbwheel.

I don't know whether you have to enable this feature... perhaps someone with the GF1 can advise?

I wish that Panasonic would implement this feature for the G1. They haven't done so yet.

Cheers

Brian

jpgrahn

New to Mu-43
That's great news!

I thought I knew a lot. But when you change brand a lot of things will change.

I think the manual for the GF1 is, honestly speaking, rather weak.
I am sure the translators were working hard, but their result is hardly working. If I may say so.

Thanks
/Johan

hodad66

Mu-43 Top Veteran
For me the EVF of the G1 makes all the difference.
I would have to add the viewfinder to a GF1 if I had it.
I use a canon 200/2.8 and it feels just fine but then
I have it at eye level and the balance is under the
lens not the camera.

wilson.c

Mu-43 Regular
On my GF-1 I have to press the 'left' button next to the 'menu/set' button. You will need to use the navigation keys to select the area to zoom into for focusing. Once selected, press the 'menu/set' key & focus your MF lens. When you are done pressing down on the shutter slightly returns to the normal view.

Alan Wolf

Mu-43 Regular
Firmware update

On my GF-1 I have to press the 'left' button next to the 'menu/set' button. You will need to use the navigation keys to select the area to zoom into for focusing. Once selected, press the 'menu/set' key & focus your MF lens. When you are done pressing down on the shutter slightly returns to the normal view.

If you get the firmware update for the GF1, you can zoom in with a single press of the “wheel” on the back—then when you press the shutter release partially, it goes back to un-zoomed. Really works well!

wilson.c

Mu-43 Regular
Cool! I'll get the upgrade installed then. Currently I have Firmware version 1.1 for both camera and lens

BrianT

Mu-43 Rookie
Currently I have Firmware version 1.1 for both camera and lens

I expect I have missed something but isn't 1.1 the latest?

Surely to zoom in it merely requires the shoot without lens to be turned on in the main menu, then a single press of the rather nasty main dial.

As an aside re using the Nikon lenses I would agree, in fact I have come to the conclusion that the lens interchangeability is a " wet Sunday Afternoon" distraction. Dedicated lenses are so much more sophisticated as a photographic tool, manual? Yes, for fun.. Bit like choosing a model T Ford for continental touring when you have a Bentley Arnage in the garage. Yes the former might be fun but the latter is far more likely to get you to your destination in the most efficient manner.

Brian.

wilson.c

Mu-43 Regular
Got it! I was trying to access the MF with my 20/1.7 lens! When I put a MF lens on, it worked like a charm!

floppymoose

Mu-43 Regular
fyi, if you are on a mac and don't want to buy a card reader, you can just plug in your camera via usb to your mac, the mac will mount the card (in the camera) as a volume, and you can copy the firmware bin to it using the finder. Then power cycle the camera and follow the rest of the directions as usual.

Latest threads

Top Bottom