GF1, GF2 or EPL2

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by jafernande, Aug 3, 2011.

1. jafernande

jafernande New to Mu-43

May 8, 2011
    Hello, I'm trying to decide between these 3 cameras to buy (can be used one if gf1 is the option). anyone have any experience with them?
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    They are all terrific cameras. Each has their strength and weakness. In use they will produce results very similar to one another.

If it were me I would probably put the E-PL2 and GF2 neck and neck with the GF1 next (mostly due to it being the oldest). My own preferences tend toward user interface, handling and speed. I have both the E-PL2 and GF2 at the lab I work at and I like the feel and handling of the E-PL2 a bit more than the GF2 (I find the rear dial on the E-PL2 a bit finicky and too easily moved but I am not a fan of having to use the touch screen either). IQ wise I think the E-PL2 is a tiny bit better and the available external EVF for the E-PL2 is quite a bit better than the one for the GF2. I find the Panasonic feels a bit faster to focus and since I have only Panasonic native lenses (14, 20 and 45-200) I suspect the lenses would perform a bit better on the GF2.
  3. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    As a user of GF2 I can say that it is great camera. Touch screen is fairy usable. The main GF2 problems is lack of external control showing actual camera setup and lack of physical display button. Both are real problem when View Finder LVF-1 is attached. The only solution is buying GH2 ;) or using display mode with all such shooting data displayed. On other hand GF2 controls can be highly customized and selected very quickly when needed.

People usually complains about quality of JPEGs out of the box compared with Olympus ones, but Panasonic cameras can be easily adjusted in this area. I've followed users recommendation by setting contrast -1 sharpening +2 saturation +1 noise reduction -2 and sticked to tweaked cloudy white balance (one notch against blue and two against magenta). Since then my out of the camera jpegs are very similar to those produced by Lightroom using RAW files. Compared to Olympus I am really missing only wireless TTL flash support on Panasonic cameras.
  4. thon410

thon410 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2011
    No matter which body you end up with, make sure you get the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens with it.

I've got a GF1 with the kit zoom, and once the 20mm arrived, it stayed on most of the time. An advise I've received is to invest in good quality lenses; bodies come and go all the time, but good lenses are here to stay.
  5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    None of the above - G3 or EP3. If it means saving up another month or two, do it.
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm very happy with the E-PL2. :) Same imaging technology as the pro E-5 (in other words, same image quality if used with the same lenses) which is a little sharper and cleaner than Panasonic's, AF and response time equal to the Panasonic cameras (though the E-P3 beats them all), LCD quality equal to the Panasonics (460k dots - only beat by the 640k OLED on the E-P3), EVF is 7x the resolution of Panasonic's LVF, it has In-Body Image Stabilization for every lens you mount, and it has Olympus' Super Control Panel from the Olympus E-System DSLRs.