GF1 Fact or Fiction

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mick / Lumix, Apr 12, 2011.

1. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    The GF1 has always received rave reviews and some felt that the world ended when it was withdrawn. Now, on my second attempt to sell one, there is no interest. This is not just an attempt to get another advert on the site, I find it hard to understand the lack of interest at any price. Why does such a well respected product become an unwanted has been so quickly ?
  2. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    If you have priced it right, there will be interest.
    New prices have come down a lot recently, 2nd hand prices have to reflect that.
    It's not only the GF1, all used camera prices are dropping, there is s resession on you know!!!!! money is tight and is set to get even tighter.

If the GF1 is THAT good, why sell it???

Note - I have just bought a new GF1 with 20mm - I knew it was end of line, so what! it's still a great camera, as you, and reviews, say (and I think so too).

Not saying this applies to you, but, people think their kit is worth far more than it actually is. Get a trade in price (you may be shocked!) If you can sell for more than that, then you have a bonus. :smile:
  3. sherlock

sherlock Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    I don't think there's a lot of traffic through to the For Sale section on this site — at least not traffic that doesn't already own a micro four-thirds camera.

It's certainly nothing to do with your price (£200 is very good) or a 'recession' (that, for the most part, is over). GF1's themselves have actually gone up in price because of their demand, but the same people that often want a GF1 over a GF2 are the same kind of people who probably don't mind paying more for a new-from-the-box model.
  4. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I don't think the GF1 was all that great. I think it may have had a halo effect because it was the only small panasonic and people gumbled about the olympus' focus times (which was not entirely warranted).

If you did a fresh review right now of all the compact m43 cameras available with all the latest firmware updates etc.. i.e. GF1,GF2, EP1,EP2,EPL1,EPL2. I think you would find the GF1 does not stand out in such a special manner as it did when it was just the GF1 v.s. EP1+(old slow focus firmware).

200 GBP is roughly $325 USD right now, the price seems roughly average, nothing wrong but nothing special so... you're right in the middle of all the other thousands of GF1's for sale so you'll have to wait your turn in the crowd...
    • Like Like x 2
  5. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Howi, you ask me "if the GF1 is that good why sell it" I never said it was that good, I was simply repeating the common comments about the GF1. Its just me (crazy !) miss the viewfinder of my G1 so the GF1 is going. NO I will not pay for the EVF. Have sold the 20mm lens. Why did I ever think I needed both ! The G1 rules and Panasonic got it right on day one, both with the body and the 14-45 lens. We learn the hard way.
  6. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    As I told elsewhere, I noticed a trend among retailers to clear their shelves of brand new, boxed GF-1s kits to make room for the new GF-2. Today, I can buy a GF-1+20mm for 450 €, and considering the retail price of the 20 mm (circa 350 €), it pins the body alone (unused, new, in box) price point at 100 €.

Supply and demand ...

7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Maybe try offering it for sale outside of the UK. Depending on how much the extra postage cost is your price would probably still be on the low side for a GF1 body in Australia, for example.
  8. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Or go for a swap.
    I tend to favor this in such a site: when I wan't to buy/sell, there's eBay, and here seems to me more of sharing.
    Now, if you want a G1, I'm ready to try out the GF1, just for a documented opinion. UK-France post, no big expense, no customs.

Or is it the unselling GF-1 is in one of these weird color schemes, like outdated lox with day-glo green polkadot? :D
  9. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Have already said that I have a G1. Do not / Will not use ebay. GF1 is black.
  10. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Complete kit prices have always been lower, so where is the dealer who will sell you a GF1 body for 100 euro ? If they have one you will be charged a lot more for a single item purchase. Your idea does not really stand up.
  11. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Oops. Sorry for the repeat. Will / shall retire. At. Once. Sir.
  12. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    I think there's some truth in that. I put a Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 lens up here for sale. Its a lens in short supply, but I didn't get much interest, even though I was only looking for what I considered a fair price for a mint lens. I then put it on UK ebay and got lots of interest, eventually selling it for what I paid for it, and over £100 more than I was asking here.
  13. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I was certainly a bit elusive, but suppose I'm on the market for a GH-1/2 but want both kit zoom and 20. If I have a bit of spare cash, I'd be tempted to buy both kits and try to re-sell the unused GF-1 immediately for what it cost me, maybe a little more. Realistically, I'd list it for 125 € "buy it now" on the bay. Or, suppose I'm really looking for a GF-1, and ready to pay circa 200 € for it, then why not buy the kit and list the 20mm for 250 € ? I'm sure it would sell instantly at that price considering the ongoing shortage for that item. What I meant was either way, you're facing strong competition since Panasonic released the GF-2, and your camera has no distinguishing option thrown into the offer to sweeten the asked price. Furthermore, you're targeting only people already into :43:, for they need to have a lens already, which is a limited part of the photographers group. And this group of people is likely to either already own a GF-1 or be on the market for a newer generation camera. This is just my opinion, though. I honestly wish you good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  14. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Your loss then. eBay has the biggest potential market for the camera. Sure it is wrought with its own fair share of problems (scammers, fraud, etc.), but you're looking an exponentially larger potential market than here, where you are essentially "preaching to the converted".

Like all retailers and salesman, you have to go where your buyers are. Don't expect them to come to you, unless you're doing something so dramatically different to separate yourself from the rest.

Have you tried more local classifieds, like Craigslist or Kijiji (if they operate in the UK)? I've gotten a lot of gear moved locally through those channels.
  15. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    I also think one of the main selling points for the GF1 was the 20mm pancake and the ergonomy. The majority of people that prefer the GF1 over GF2 (usually downgraders from DSLR's) have it already or they hunt for the GF1 kit.

Like others have said, there is always a question of price/need: for example a Oly owner with some panny lenses would maybe go for a GF1 body. Apparently the GBP 200 is too much for a quick sale, although it might be a fair price after the new GF1 have depleted from stores.
  16. ascherjim

ascherjim Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2010
    Mick: I sorta share your pain. I bought my GF1 first, then picked up a used G1 as I wanted to carry two cameras with me so as not to have to change lenses all the time. And I shortly came to realize my preference for the G1, both for the built-in viewfinder and the better placement (for me) of its controls. Rather than take a financial hit by trying to sell my GF1 at this stage (and buying another G1 to replace it) I've found a used GF1 EVF for a fairly reasonable price. But I sure like that G1 -- and new ones are currently significantly reduced in price.
  17. sphexx

sphexx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Harrogate, Yorkshire
    Your price was too high at the time you posted. I was somewhat interested but when I checked I could get the same new for your price £200 from Park Cameras, Limited Stock. I did not buy theirs either but I considered it because like you I have a G1 so buying the GF1 would get me a spare battery [retail £60-£70 for a Panasonic one] so the Gf1 would be only £140.

Why didn't I buy? Because I got the G1 out and imagined what it would be like only using the LCD screen and saw it was not for me! Same conclusion you have.

18. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I think Park Cameras in the UK had brand new GF1 bodies a few weeks ago for £199.00 and they would have had full warranty etc. is selling the black GF1/20mm kit for "just" £369.00 (though it's now out of stock and I wonder if they will actually be able to get stock and fulfil new orders). Considering the price of the 20mm lens, it's a bargain if you want that setup. I bought one primarily for the lens (to put on my E-P1) and I'll use the GF1 for video.

A used GF1 body that was hackable was sold on ebay at the weekend for £211.00. The title included the "buy me, buy me" word "rare" so perhaps that was the magic bullet. Is yours a hackable version? If it is that might persuade somebody who is on the fence.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I have a G1 and a GF1.

I tend to leave the 20mm on the GF1 most all the time. Compact, quick and I truly love the ergonomics of the GF1, especially with a high quality 1/2 hard case on the bottom. (I'm a kid again)

My G1 usually has the task of hosting the kit lens, and the 45-200. I love the ease of use with the bright viewfinder in the G1.

My G1 however, does not pop the zoom in for manual focus with my legacy lenses, not by touching the focus ring, nor by depressing the thumb wheel. I need to hit the left nav button, then the center select button to get my magnified manual focus screen.

So for legacy glass, I'm usually right back to the GF1.

Overall, the GF1 is what drew me to µ43. For us older dudes it's very much like the rangefinders we started with, in my case a Konica III.

Were I a younger person I'm not sure I'd feel the same nostalgic attraction to the GF1.. I love them both. In the future I'll probably retire the G1 for a GH2 or what comes next. But the GF1, that will be staying with me to remind me of my roots.

That's my take.
    • Like Like x 4
  20. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Thanks for all the replies. I have advertised the camera in some Flickr groups. I can understand that in this forum I am trying to attract the converted who may well already have the camera. That said its NOT going on ebay, I will wait and see if I get offers and may have to drop the price. What does make me smile is that anyone could speak up for the GF2, before now general opinion was that the GF2 was a toy for compact users, and those words were not thought up by me ! Some one did suggest trying a dealer. I did. No one told me to have a cardiologist with me !