1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

GF1 - External Viewfinder?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DarrenG, Mar 2, 2011.

1. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Is there any way to have the viewfinder output over USB so that I can grab the images live into Aperture for example or use an iPad as a large viewfinder?

2. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I don't think so, but the technique you're talking about is called tethered shooting if you wanted to keep on researching yourself.

I did a quick google and there was nothing current or recent that said you can

3. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Ah thank you, I knew there was a term for it but couldn't think!

4. cbrock

cbrock Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I looked for it a while ago. Appears the firmware does not support tethered shooting, nor does Panny have any plans of adding that feature to any of their cameras from what I remember reading. Almost any Canon or Nikon digital made over the past few years can. I wanted to set up a photo booth for my wedding with my GF1, but found I couldn't using any automated means. Luckily my step-dad's D80 does it.

5. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Shame, my ageing D70 does it too.

6. dhype55

dhype55 New to Mu-43

Feb 22, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Eye fi and shutter snitch on the iPad

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H84EpXXcG_o&sns=em]YouTube - How To Directly Tether Your Camera To An iPad By Lee Morris[/ame]

7. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Yes, that is an option, not particular impressed with Shutter Snitch in testing (I have an Eye-Fi Card), but I do use it for sync to Aperture using a Workflow. But it's slow and clunky.

I was after a remote viewfinder more than a remote viewer for images already acquired.

Hopefully the EyE-Fi update due this summer that allows for full connectivity to iPhone/iPad will improve that though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.