1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF1 - External Viewfinder?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DarrenG, Mar 2, 2011.

1. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Is there any way to have the viewfinder output over USB so that I can grab the images live into Aperture for example or use an iPad as a large viewfinder?

2. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I don't think so, but the technique you're talking about is called tethered shooting if you wanted to keep on researching yourself.

I did a quick google and there was nothing current or recent that said you can

3. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Ah thank you, I knew there was a term for it but couldn't think!

4. cbrock

cbrock Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I looked for it a while ago. Appears the firmware does not support tethered shooting, nor does Panny have any plans of adding that feature to any of their cameras from what I remember reading. Almost any Canon or Nikon digital made over the past few years can. I wanted to set up a photo booth for my wedding with my GF1, but found I couldn't using any automated means. Luckily my step-dad's D80 does it.

5. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Shame, my ageing D70 does it too.

6. dhype55

dhype55 New to Mu-43

Feb 22, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Eye fi and shutter snitch on the iPad

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H84EpXXcG_o&sns=em]YouTube - How To Directly Tether Your Camera To An iPad By Lee Morris[/ame]

7. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Yes, that is an option, not particular impressed with Shutter Snitch in testing (I have an Eye-Fi Card), but I do use it for sync to Aperture using a Workflow. But it's slow and clunky.

I was after a remote viewfinder more than a remote viewer for images already acquired.

Hopefully the EyE-Fi update due this summer that allows for full connectivity to iPhone/iPad will improve that though.