1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF1 does HDR

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Iansky, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I have never shot HDR so as I was a little bored yesterday I set myself the challenge of trying it with the GF1+14-45mm lens.

I set the camera up to shoot 5 x bracketed exposures and tried both handheld and tripod mounted, the house shot was handheld and does show slight ghosting in the bushes bottom left - the landscape was tripod mounted.

I used CS5 to edit the images using the Merge to HDR Pro option and played around with the settings but more playing to do!

Any advice / suggestions will be very welcome as I want to be able to use this more when appropriate but want to avoid the Plasticky / overdone images that I see in many cases.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Well you have certainly avoided the 'technicolour' pitfalls. These look very (enhanced) natural. I like them a lot.

3. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    #2 ok! The cottage could just as well be in my area, a few hundred miles down south.

#1 avoids the Teknikolour, yet shows a discrepancy between a contrasty sky and murky grass/granite/tarmac land. That does not look natural. I'd select the sky (blue channel?), reverse the selection, and ad some punch down below. Maybe cool down its TC a bit too, since I see no shadows...

4. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    They look rather good.

I agree with PK that #1 may be pushed a little too far in the sky blues, and the foreground green is slightly too vivid on my MBP screen. The clouds in the distance on the horizon feel like they should be a bit grayer to me to convey the distance. It is easy to get carried away pushing the saturation with HDR techniques, until an image begins to be overexcited. Of course, this is just a matter of taste. The more I experiment with HDR, the more I have to tell myself to back off on the punchiness.

I use Photomatix Pro, which can do a superb job removing the ghosting in the full software app (not the plug-in). It does not generally require more than three bracketed shots to get nice results, and much less laborious than doing it all by hand in PS.

Keep sharing your challenges.

-Steve

5. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I always enjoy seeing your work Ian. I love the countryside and the way my eyes travel down the road. I just might pop in for a milo.

6. I think #2 works nicely, #1 not so well. #1 doesn't have the even exposure benefits you'd expect from a HDR'd image.