1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF1 does Camden Town

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Iansky, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I took some images with the GF1 (shot in square format) when we did a trip to Camden Town, London last year - it is a street photographers dream, full of characters of all ages to include the most pierced man in the world!
    Here are a few samples, the rest in my gallery.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  2. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Love Camden Town, great images you took!

3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Great characters... a street photographer's dream indeed.

Iansky... I take it you tend to shoot your street images mostly with the 20. Do you usually select an aperture (A mode) or do you use Program mode?

You mentioned using the center spot for AF, do you tend to favor large, medium, or small spot for that?

4. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Great series, really enjoyed them all

5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Hi Don,

Unless I am really trying to blur the background detail, I tend to set my aperture at f4 as it has great sharpness and I can still control my DOF by getting closer to the subject.

Having said that, I like to shoot at base iso wherever possible so have to balance aperture with shutter speed to avoid camera shake due to no IS on the 20mm - great lens though.

I have the thirds grid visible on my LCD and my centre spot set to medium as it allows me to focus on my area of interest and ensure it is in focus.

I did try face detection but very quickly switched back to centre spot - that is my personal choice and will work for some but not others.

I also have the EVF fitted to the GF1 so that on bright sunny days I do not have issues trying to see the LCD.

The GF1+20 works for me as it allows me to shoot street without waving a big DSLR in peoples faces, due to its size people tend to assume it is a P&S and that I am just another visitor taking snaps.

Thank you Mu43 for great cameras................now, Panasonic, can we please have a genuine GF1 replacement with tactile dials rather than touch screen that will compliment the new X lenses and be available at a sensible price?

• Like Like x 3
  6. dapipoy

dapipoy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    midlands, uk
    i very much do the same as you, ian, except the center spot is set to the default (next to the smallest). i use either 14mm or 20mm, set aperture to f4. i play around with the iso when light changes. i make sure the shutter speed is high enough to avoid camera shake. i shoot mostly in aperture priority but i also set my shutter priority mode to between 30-60. so if i want to show motion blur, say for example, man on a bicycle or people running, i can just turn the dial to shutter and ready to shoot right away.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Great comments... thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Good luck Don and I look forwards to seeing the results.

9. swmlon

swmlon Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2011
    Great shots, particularly the first one.

I haven't been to Camden for a long time, I must try to find time to go.

And on gear note, seeing photos like these makes my decision on the 20 or 25 more and more difficult

10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Swmlon,

You will not regret picking up a 20 - a great small, sharp lens if used with care.

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Interesting stuff Ian. #1 'n #2 are particularly nice. I think a tighter crop on #1 may make an already interesting photo just a tad better. I'd try cropping from the bottom to just below the medal (eliminating the distracting OOF knee), from the top to just above his hair - whatever that is on top his head, (slicing off the top of the fence/gate radius) and on the left I'd take a tiny bit off the elbow to sorta match the right side. Then I'd hit the eyes, nose and mouth slightly with the dodge tool set for highlights.

Then I'd print it, a 16x20 and hang it in the dining room.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  12. swmlon

swmlon Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2011
    I ended up getting the 20 after work yesterday after comparing both, in the end, I wanted a m43 system to be as small as possible, and the 25 defeated the purspose for that. Now it's time to get shooting and posting.

13. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Shoot, enjoy, post

Congrats on the purchase, I am sure you will be delighted with the lens.

I tend to use mine at f4 on aperture priority and at 100ISO when shooting the majority of my street work, the 20mm allows you to get in close without offending and as a result presents a nice OOF bokeh - you can get great results wide open as well but with very narrow DOF.

For landscape I use F8 and again am very pleased.

I now find that even though I carry my 14-45 as well, unless I need the 28mm equivalent the 20mm works perfectly and produces great images.

Enjoy and I look forwards to seeing some of your images posted on here soon.

14. swmlon

swmlon Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2011
    Thanks for the tips. I like the 20 in that it's closer to the 35mm which is my favourite focal length to everyday shooting. Out of interest, do you use a viewfinder (optical or evf) or do you compose off the LCD?

15. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I use a mix of both LCD (when weather permits) and EVF when bright and sunny.
    Despite the criticism, I have no real issues with the EVF and it does what it needs to - it allows me to compose on bright sunny days when the LCD is impossible to see.