GF1 "Direct AF Area" - return to default?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by John_Dear, Dec 11, 2011.

1. John_Dear

John_Dear New to Mu-43

Nov 29, 2011
    Newbie question, sorry if this sounds dumb.

I'm using a GF1 with the 20mm and frequently use the "Direct AF Area" function to select a focus point that is outside of the center of the frame. Is there a quick/easy way to have the focus point snap back to the default position in the center of the frame?

Is there a better way to be doing this? Should I be using AF Lock and recomposing? How does using AF lock differ from just keeping the shutter button depressed and re-composing? As you can imagine, reading the GF1 manual has not been especially helpful.
  2. ww@lt

ww@lt New to Mu-43

Dec 11, 2011
    Hit the delete button (at least onGH2 it works this way)
    • Like Like x 4
  3. John_Dear

John_Dear New to Mu-43

Nov 29, 2011
    Hey, that works! Thanks!

It didn't work at first because I was drilling down through he AF Mode (left arrow) key to get to the Direct AF selection. Now I have Direct AF set to "ON" and the left arrow goes right to the adjuster, and the trash can snaps it back to center. You ended up saving me a lot of time and clicking through menus.
  4. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    I just learned something :)

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    well, not really. If you have direct AF turned on, you have to go through the menus for ISO, white balance, focus mode, etc - which I would argue are more important to have direct control of.

The "problem" with the half-press and recompose technique is that it locks the metering based on the half-press composition, however you can minimize this by using center weighted or spot metering, which will meter on the primary subject (which may or may not be what you want)

On the GF1 though, there is a great third option and that is to use the AF/AE lock button. You could set it up for AF only, lock focus on your subject using the back button, then recompose and the camera will meter the final composition upon trigger press.

IMHO, either of those options is superior to relegating all the direct controls to direct AF functions. Of course, e touch screen method on the newer cameras is far better yet.
  6. John_Dear

John_Dear New to Mu-43

Nov 29, 2011
    Ahhh, I had only tried pushing the left arrow (toward the AF mode button), I didn't realize I'd lost the functionality of the other buttons. That does present a problem.

OK, I'll try to get used to the AF lock method as that seems the best option.
  7. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I have direct focus area set up on fn1 so all four way buttons still work as normal.
    Direct focus area is switched to off in the custom menu.
    fn2 is my ae lock.
    This works well for me.:smile:
    • Like Like x 1