GF1 covers UN climate summit (part two)

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by matmcdermott, Jan 19, 2010.

1. matmcdermott

matmcdermott Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

These are from the conference itself. On the train ride in part one I used the GF1 exclusively. In fact it was the first serious shooting I had done with it. I wanted to test it out before the main show. However during the main part of the conference I used my familiar Leica M8+28 Summicron combination. The GF1 served backup when all my M8 batteries died on long days, which happened two or three times. Here are some of those shots (click for larger images):

20091212546.jpg
    Lens: 20/1.7

20091216281.jpg
    Lens: 14-45 @ 45

20091216483.jpg
    Lens: 14-45 @ 14

• Like Like x 2
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    This is a very strong photograph. Could you explain a bit about what was going on here?

3. matmcdermott

Thanks.

What's going on was this group of protestors had been corralled off by the Danish police. Earlier in the day this same group had had tear gas and pepper spray deployed against them at times. I was originally following another group which began by marching out of the COP15 venue (the photo on the bridge above) but by the time I made my way through the police lines separating the two groups -- by and large your press pass was a get out of jail free card -- those that remained had largely taken to chanting together in linked arms. Sometimes a cheer would go up, which is what is happening here. Eventually this situation diffused itself, with police taking off the riot helmets in unison and the group sitting down and talking amongst themselves. It happened seemingly without warning. One minute it looked like more beatings and pepper spray were imminent and the next it was all over. Asked one of them why the order was given to de-escalate but the officer I asked wasn't willing to really talk about tactics.

BTW, from a photographic note, this is where live view really comes in handy. I normally use the EVF, but being able to compose while holding the camera over your head is great.

• Like Like x 4
  4. matmcdermott

Slideshow on <a href="http://www.treehugger.com">TreeHugger</a> from the same event: <a href="http://www.treehugger.com/galleries/2009/12/whose-summit-out-summit-bella-center-protest.php">Whose Summit? Our Summit!</a>. First part is Leica M8; after the shot of the man being put into a police van it's all GF1.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks for the information!

The striking anonymity and sameness of the police, even wearing numbers, contrasting with the bright colors and individuality of the protestors - It's very powerful.

Also, the perspective, which as you said was possible through live view, is just perfect to get a sense of the police/crowd dynamic and also the police in the tree/tower, which adds to an almost unreal feeling about the scene.

6. matmcdermott

Those aren't police climbing on the light tower, they are other photographers or maybe just onlookers.

7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

I'm behind on your threads about this. Will have to delve deeper but just wanted to say a big thank you for the photos and commentary.

Pleased to know those weren't police on the towers! I agree with Amin about this photograph, and I look forward to checking out the rest, as well.

Glad you're involved in mu-43.com!

P.S. Just read the article with your accompanying photos over on Tree Hugger by using that second link. Nice perspective in the writing. I think they were probably chanting "Om".:wink: